Is a Hawaii cruise reasonable to do with a young baby??

Florida_cruisers

I am beginning to plan our vacation for next year. We expect to have a baby by then, maybe 6 months old. Is a Hawaii cruise for seven days okay to do with a young baby?? I mean as far as excursions and such.

I know we will have to change our dining arrangements and other activities in order to accomodate a baby.

We could also leave the baby home with the grandparents, but I don't think I would like to.

What are you thoughts on this?

We are sailing on the Island Princess to Hawaii with a 1 yr. old - which is the minimum age allowed for this sailing. We have been on other ships when our 5 yr. old daughter was a baby. We enjoyed ourselves, but you have to compromise on a lot of things.

Check with the cruise line on the age requirements for young children.

I would check about the age as well. On our Hawaiian cruise, there were some pretty small babies.

I think it would be easier to do tours and stuff with a baby than a toddler. If you can put him/her in a backpack carrier, you can do quite a lot. You would have to carry a stocked diaper bag, but little ones can nap, eat etc just about anywhere. With a small child, you have to entertain them and make sure they are near a potty...or chase them around.

In my experience, as long as youre willing to give up the late night drinking and dancing, eat at early times and avoid high-activity excursions, you should be fine.

As for leaving the child at home, that is a whole different ball game. I have done it when each of my children was 13 months, but no earlier. I was still nursing at 6 months. I find the kids dont really care and its great bonding for them and grandma. You cant leave your child with anyone who will love them more than grandma. But it sounds like you would be uncomfortable with that one until he/she is older.

My kids are 22 and 19 years old & do take them on cruises (now). :D However, a 6 month old might be happier with familiar surroundings & grandma's house than on a cruise. While a baby that age is bonded to its parents, he or she is really more concerned with having its basic needs met & grandma in a familiar setting might do a better job than mommy & daddy in a very strange setting. A somewhat older baby 1-2 years would have more separation anxiety & would miss their parents more than a 6 month old would. You have your kids a long time (don't I know it!) and it's hard to get time alone once they're around so if your parents are willing & you trust them (they did OK raising you, right? ;) ), I'd say leave the baby home.

• 4 weeks later...

We will be cruising this Oct and bringing a almost 6 month old as well to Hawaii 2 weeks total planned. Ive been cruising with my kids since they were this young and have had no problems my other 2 are 4 and 7 and love the programs too. I have to pack a little more at this age. But not having the luxury to leave little ones with grandparents, we have always enjoyed bringing the kids and they have always been easy adapting to any cruise or vacation,

Good luck planning

Chrystal

Archived