Thai BBQ Chicken

richbum

I have had this dish on several cruises and loved it. Just got it on the Freedom a few weeks ago. When it came out, it looked and tasted nothing like I remembered. I asked the waiter and he said they completely changed the recipe for it. Don't know if it's flet wide, but I wasn't crazy about the new recipe at all.

I love to cook. I had such a wonderful cruise, a TA on the Jewel in 2006, that I bought the Royal Caribbean cookbook as a souveneir. So, I don't know if this will be "the" recipe that you seek, but it's the one that was published at that time so if the recipe has changed then I'm sure this would be the older version. Enjoy and let us know how it turns out for you.

Thai BBQ Chicken Breast

For marinade, mix all ingredients in a blender and blend for 5 minutes until smooth. Coat chicken breasts and marinate for 24 hours, covered, in the refrigerator.

Rinse rice with cold water 3 to 4 times or until water runs clear. Drain one last time. Cut lemongrass into 2-inch stalks. Place rice, lemongrass, coconut milk and the water in a pot. The liquid should be 1 inch above the rice. Let stand for 30 minutes, then bring to a boil. Cook, covered for 15 minutes. Remove rice from heat, and keep covered on side of the stove for 20 minutes.

For sauce, in a saucepan over medium heat, caramelize sugar, add garlic and ginger and stir for 1 minute. Deglaze with sake. Add chicken stock, Teriyaki sauce and honey, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add red and green pepper, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Add chopped chives. Keep warm.

Preheat oven to 300 F.

In a large skillet over high heat, sear chicken breasts on both sides until golden brown (do not remove the marinating liquid from the chicken breast). Transfer the chicken to a roasting pan and cook for about 10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Test by piercing the meat with a think skewer and checking to see that the juices run clear.

In a small skillet over medium heat, warm olive oil and saute onion, peppers and spring onion for 3 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.

Arrange on a warmed serving platter and garnish with cilantro.

Serves 6.

Ingredients:

6 (6-ounce) chicken breasts, skin and wing on

Marinade:

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 tablespoon peeled, chopped fresh ginger

1 tablespoon chopped lemongrass

2 lime leaves, whole

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1/2 fresh chili pepper, chopped

1/2 tablespoon green chili paste

1 teaspoon green curry paste

1 teaspoon Sambal Olek

1/4 cup vegetable oil

Jasmine Rice:

1-1/2 cups jasmine rice

1 blade lemongrass

1/2 cup coconut milk

1 cup cold water

Vegetables:

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 red onion, julienned

1 green pepper, julienned

1 red bell pepper, julienned

2 spring onions, julienned

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Sauce:

4 tablespoons granulated sugar

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger

1 cup sake wine

1 cup chicken stock

1 cup Teriyaki sauce

4 tablespoons honey

1/2 red bell pepper, diced

1/2 green bell pepper, diced

2 tablespoons chopped chives

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Garnish:

1/4 bunch cilantro

I was on Mariner in April 2007 and they ran out of cookbooks so I could not get one and was so dissapointed.

We are cruising on Liberty next week and was wondering if the cookbook would really be of any value to me (I love to cook, and to read cookbooks, some people call me crazy!!). I have lots of cookbooks and didn't want to just buy another novelty cookbook that sits prettily on a shelf.

Do you find you use yours enough?

Christine

Archived