Best book you have ever read on a cruise.

jckvpa0

Nelson DeMille is one of my favorite cruise authors also! Night Fall was just published in Jan 2005. I have it sitting on my shelf just tempting me, but I'm holding out till my cruise in March:)

Otherwise, my husband and I fought over who got to read Da Vinci Code (author Dan Brown) first on our last cruise. Angels and Demons (precedes Da Vinci Code) was just as good IMHO.

If you're really looking for some good beach read, the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich are entertaining. I've been known to burst out laughing in my deck chair when reading one of her books. (Got some strange looks!)

Hope this helps!

Nelson DeMille is one of my favorite cruise authors also! Night Fall was just published in Jan 2005. I have it sitting on my shelf just tempting me, but I'm holding out till my cruise in March:)

Otherwise, my husband and I fought over who got to read Da Vinci Code (author Dan Brown) first on our last cruise. Angels and Demons (precedes Da Vinci Code) was just as good IMHO.

If you're really looking for some good beach read, the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich are entertaining. I've been known to burst out laughing in my deck chair when reading one of her books. (Got some strange looks!)

Hope this helps!

Did not know Demille just released a book, glad to hear it.Forgot about the Da Vinci Code, my sister mentioned it to me a couple of months ago. Read all Janet's books last summer. Thanks I have three books to buy!

I second the Janet Evanovich series. I also have burst out laughing while reading on vacation. Not many books will make me do that!

Love Dorothea Benton Frank books especially Sullivan's Island.

For my cruise in March I have the new Jimmy Buffet book that I have been saving. I am a fast reader so I may need a second book - any suggestions?

Kathleen

I second the Janet Evanovich series. I also have burst out laughing while reading on vacation. Not many books will make me do that!

Love Dorothea Benton Frank books especially Sullivan's Island.

For my cruise in March I have the new Jimmy Buffet book that I have been saving. I am a fast reader so I may need a second book - any suggestions?

Kathleen

Dorothea Benton Frank has a new book I just finished and loved. It's called

SHEM CREEK.

In Harm's Way by Doug Stanton. It's about the sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis during WWII and the extraordinary story of its survivors cast into shark-infested waters.

I don't know if I could read that on a ship :D !

The Secret Life of Bees, any of the Robert B. Parker's Spenser series, Janet Evanovich is really great, I'm taking Jimmy Buffet's new one too. The DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons are tough - I wanted to be able to research things in the book as I was reading them.

Top Five

"Hoax" by Robert K Tanebaum (latest Butch and Marlene Karp crime novel)

Steven King's "The Stand" (a re-read)

"The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren

Any Louis Lamour book

The Word by Himself

Not in this particular order of course.

On my November cruise, I read Phil Jackson's "The Last Season". OK, I know....and I got several quizzical glances - first at the book, then at me, me and then back at the book. Is it THAT odd for a 60+ little ole southern lady to be so into the Lakers?:D

As an avid reader, I always bring a book for my cruise. I end up reading it on the plane to and from port. I have so many other things to do once on the ship! Even just laying around, the people watching is just fascinating.:eek:

Greetings to all my fellow Fine Americans!!!

The best book(s) I have ever read on a cruise (if I had actually been on a cruise) are:

Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola

The Great Psychedelic Armadillo Picnic

Kill Two Birds and Get Stoned

The Love Song of J Edgar Hoover

All written by a brilliant, talented and modest Fine American!!!

the giver (lois lowery) it is meant for ages from 13-16 but it so beautifully written and touching it is well worth the read.

da vinci code fast paced and short chapters so it keeps your intrest

johnathan strange and mr.norrell is like the true adult version of harry potter with the good versus evil theme

I like to read books that are set in the Caribbean or at least some sort of warm climate. It's fun to read descriptions and then look up and see the same setting!

Some I've enjoyed are...

- "How Stella Got Her Grove Back" Terri McMillan (light reading)

- "Caribbean Mystery" Agatha Christie (typical Agatha)

- "Pretend I'm Not Here" Chris Gavaler (light reading)

- "Nerd in Shining Armor" Vicki Lewis Thompson (light reading)

- "Valhalla Rising (Dirk Pitt Adventures) Clive Cussler (be careful with this one, a cruise ship catches on fire and sinks, as another boat comes along side to try to save some of the people, some people get smashed between the two hulls. If you think this might scare you while your on a boat, save it for another time)

- "A Trip to the Beach" Melinda and Robert Blanchard (nonfiction about a - couple who moved to Anguilla and opened up a restuarant)

- "The Oxford Book of Caribbean Short Stories" Edited By Stewart Brown and John Wickham (more serious of a read and sometimes hard to catch on to the regional idioms but very interesting)

- "Tales of the Caribbean" Fritz Seyfarth

- "Before the Wind: True Stories about Sailing" David Gowdey

Kinky, is that you?? I've read (and enjoyed) most of your books! Welcome aboard. Paul

Please sir! I know not this "Kinky" person of whom you speak!;)

I would hope that on this website I would enjoy the same anonimity that I relish in my AA meetings!! Ha Ha!!

I am not the handsome, suave, charming, witty, talented, modest, black cowboy hat wearing, cigar smoking person of whom you speak. But if I was him I would want to know this...in your post you said you have read (and enjoyed) most of Kinky's books.

Does that mean you have read most of Kinky's books but only "enjoyed" a couple or that you have read and enjoyed most of his books??

Yes, there is a difference!

And if I was the person you thought I was, I would say try Kinky's gourmet salsa sold at all large, discriminating grocery stores in Texas. But since I am NOT him, I wont say that!:)

Archived