Orient Beach in Morning, Maho Beach in Afternoon--Is this Possible??

sgirlsmom

We will be in port 11/10 on the Carnival Dream and are thinking of taking a taxi from port to Orient Beach in the morning, spending a few hours and then taking a taxi to Maho Beach around noon-1pm to spend a few more hours, then taxi back to port.

Has anyone done this...is it even possible? Ship is in port 8am-6pm and we don't want to take any chances of being late back to port.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

We will be in port 11/10 on the Carnival Dream and are thinking of taking a taxi from port to Orient Beach in the morning, spending a few hours and then taking a taxi to Maho Beach around noon-1pm to spend a few more hours, then taxi back to port.

Has anyone done this...is it even possible? Ship is in port 8am-6pm and we don't want to take any chances of being late back to port.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

I have not done this BUT I have spent time on SXM. It is not a big island - so yes this is quite possible - just allow yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship from Maho -leave Maho by 4:30 PM AT THE VERY LATEST because there will be a LOT of traffic in the late afternoon as people return to the dock.

We did this last year while in St. Martin on the Carnival Glory.

We caught a cab at the pier and told him we wanted to go to Orient beach for a few hours then later to Maho to see the big planes land. He said if we had a general time when we wanted to leave Orient beach that he would pick us up and take us to Maho...after we were done at orient the same cab took us to maho beach.

There are tons of cabs around Maho beach waiting to take you back to the ship

Orient beach is a beautiful place...we almost decided to spend the whole day there but we ended up leaving for maho beach and I am really glad we did because it is awesome to see those big planes land right over your head at Maho beach!

We did this tour exact tour with Bernard. He switched up his regular tour for us and took us to Orient Beach first, a quick stop at Marigot, and then Maho beach. Those who wanted could get dropped in Philipsburg for some shopping. We've been to Maho in the morning before, it was slow, but there were lots of big planes coming in during our afternoon visit.

I would also recommend Bernard. I did a lot of research on this and for the cost of those taxis, you can have someone take you to both of these places and it includes free rum punch, local beer, water, etc. They know exactly when to go to Maho beach to catch the larger planes landing right over your head. You will love it. Orient is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. You won't want to spend much time at Maho. We were dropped off at Pedro’s, which is the closest beach bar to Club Orient the clothing optional resort at the end of the beach, where we could rent two chairs and an umbrella for $15 and included two drinks and access to the rest room. There is a rock barrier which divided Club Orient from the rest of the beach and the people without clothes on did not come across the barrier. As we drove up, we saw some people walking around without clothes on. Most of the people you would not want to see without their clothes on anyway so it was no big deal. There was an occasional female who would walk down the beach topless. Orient Beach is beautiful with soft sand beaches. This was a very good excursion and can recommend.

http://www.bernardstours.com/interest.htm

maho2-1.jpg

mahobeach.jpg

stmarteen2.jpg

stmarteen3.jpg

Do I have to reserve for a Banard tour or can I just walk up.

I will be there next week on the OASIS of the seas ans not sure if I will take a tour or just a cab to Maho at 11am then return around 3pm and relax at the boardwalk area before re boarding. but would love to see Orient beach.

Would love to do this

- Orient in the AM

- Maho early pm to mid pm

thanks for all the great info of this site

Do I have to reserve for a Banard tour or can I just walk up.

<snip>

From Bernard's website:

Q. Can you accommodate 'Walk-Up' customers, or must all reservations be made in advance?

A. Unfortunately, we can no longer accept 'Walk-Up' clients, as the Island Government requires that we show a reservation before picking up our guests at the cruise terminal.

gary

• 2 weeks later...
We did this last year while in St. Martin on the Carnival Glory.

We caught a cab at the pier and told him we wanted to go to Orient beach for a few hours then later to Maho to see the big planes land. He said if we had a general time when we wanted to leave Orient beach that he would pick us up and take us to Maho...after we were done at orient the same cab took us to maho beach.

There are tons of cabs around Maho beach waiting to take you back to the ship

Orient beach is a beautiful place...we almost decided to spend the whole day there but we ended up leaving for maho beach and I am really glad we did because it is awesome to see those big planes land right over your head at Maho beach!

How much did it cost your for cab fare?

It would be cheaper to hire a car and you can get one right at the port.

I have done this all 4 times we have been to St Maarten and have driven all over the island.

Very easy to get around.

My pick is Hertz - very friendly young man at the counter. I usually pre book.

My favourite itinerary -Get off early, drive to Marigot for beautiful croissants and coffee for breakfast. Then either Grand Case or Orient for some beach time. Then arrive at Maho around lunchtime to watch the big planes come in (check the airport website for arrival times). I prefer the Driftwood Beach Bar over Sunset. They have the best pizzas!

I LOVE St Maarten - heading there for 2 weeks before cruising the Valor in Feb - can't wait!!!

Archived