Greek Style Fiesta @ Santorini Stop

Picolino

I haven't experienced this shore ex (we rented a car and toured on our own), but my thoughts on it are that the first part sounds great ... Pyrgos is an interesting town and if you walk to the top of it through the maze of streets (takes about 15 minutes) the views are great.

The Monastery is a 'hair raising' ride up a winding road with steep cliffs to the outside as you ascend (and no guardrails:eek:). As we were on our own and parking was limited, we only stayed long enough at the top for a quick look at the view. I'm not sure if the bus tours do more than that (i.e. whether there is anything to see inside the buildings?)

Oia is another treasure on Santorini and a great place to have some free time to explore on your own.

The dinner, music and plate smashing doesn't appeal to me, but I'm sure others must enjoy it. The tour seems expensive, probably because of the dinner & show.

Santorini is an easy island to tour on your own if you have any interest in doing that.

Any thoughts or experiences on this shore excursion offered by the Norwegian Gem?

We did the Med cruise on the Gem in July. Santorini was the crown jewel of the ports. We arrived at 4PM, so we decided to take an excursion. I wanted to take the one with the Arch. Museum in Fira and Oia but it was cancelled. We took the Oia and Winery. It was cheaper than the one with the Fiesta. I am so glad that I took an excursion, since others in our group did not and only were able to see Fira.

The Oia and Winery tour was good, since we were able to see (at lease from the bus) most of the island. The Fiesta tour probably would be better, of course, but cost more.

Also was pleased with the Corfu excursion that included the Monastery on the NW side of the island. Did not need excursions in Dubrovnick, Athens or Mykonos.

We just posted this on another thread, but it has info on what we did in Santorini.

------------

When we went to Santorini we paid a taxi to stay with us all day. It actually was a lot less expensive that we thought and our cab driver was fantastic. After taking the tender and getting on the gondola to take you to the top of the hill, look for a taxi. You can bargain with them and tell them you want them for the day. Our taxi driver took us to Oia (A MUST SEE!!) and then drove us all around the island. He even took us to a couple of nice small family vineyards. Places only the locals know. We had my in-laws with us and had the best time.

Santorini is probably the most beautiful place we've visited and we've been to lots of places in Europe and Africa. The shops in Santorini are so cute and they will bargain with you.

Have a great trip

Smart-Travelers

http://www.*****

• 3 weeks later...

Archived