Manzanillo Help

my2mickeykids

Hi there! New to the board and loving all the great information!

We are sailing on the Disney Wonder to the MR this spring. I have been checking around and am cosidering either Las Hadas or Karmina for the day. We are a family of 4 with kids who will be 9 and 7. Through Disney, Las Hadas is actually $10 more per person than Karmina. I hear Karmina is nicer, is that true?

Is it worth going to Karmina or should we just take a taxi to Las Hadas on our own and not book it though the ship? Any idea how much a taxi would be to get there and back? We are more comfortable doing the excursion though the boat but not going to pay the $99 per adult they are asking for for Las Hadas. :eek: Karmina is $89 per person but I hear that it is a really nice place. Is it worth that? Both include food, drinks and transportation for the day.

One last question, just wondering if one place had better food over the other. Thank you!!!

Thank you!

OK, Manzanillo. we stopped by Karima Palace on one visit & it was too expensive ($75pp). We have visited Las Hadas several times. It is always quiet and nice. We just walk in, talk a self guided walking tour, and off we go. We suggest Audiencia beach with the Tesoro resort, as Audiencia has lots going on. The kids will not be bored. We also suggest paying as you go, as you will get better food/drink/service, and likely pay less overall.

Las Hadas Below

STP62014.jpg

Las Hadas Below

STP61972.jpg

Audiencia (Tesoro in backgound)

IMG_3839.jpg

Karima Palace below

KarimaPalace.jpg

Manzanillo Area

Manzanilloarea.jpg

a bit more on Manzanillo. Manzanillo is a Least Favorite port of call, as you arrive in an industrial shipyard, with little nearby of interest to the typical cruiser. Because it is in a large shipyard (the largest shipyard on the Mexican west coast), the taxi service is a bit more expensive. Getting to Las Hadas is at least $15. Manzanillo is also typically very hot & humid. On the other hand, because Manzanillo is a not visited much, the hotels and people are very welcoming. If you are on a budget, with your children ages, we would suggest taking a cab to Las Hadas, walk right in like you own the place, pick a place to sit by the beach or pools, ask to see a menu, and order some drinks, and pay in cash, and tip. It is a beautiful location, very quiet, very few visitors or guests, the staff should be thrilled that you are there. If all goes well, stay. If you get an itch to see Audiencia, take a 5 minute cab over to Tesoro, and do the same thing, visit/sit/pool/drinks/pay. Audiencia beach has lots of beach activities, like banana boat rides, and vendors with things to look at and buy. Jet skis to rent, Parasail, snorkel, that kind of thing. (We have rented a chair and umbrella on Audencia for $1/day, and there are lots of nearby food and drink choices to cut the cost way below hotel food/drink costs, and very tasty choices).

Bingo, beautiful beach day in a least favorite port of call. $10 cab ride back to ship. BRAVO!

Many of your fellow cruisers will get to experience the best part about the near to ship shopping area in Manzanillo, the big Fish Statue Below

IMG_3202.jpg

Hi there! New to the board and loving all the great information!

We are sailing on the Disney Wonder to the MR this spring. I have been checking around and am cosidering either Las Hadas or Karmina for the day. We are a family of 4 with kids who will be 9 and 7. Through Disney, Las Hadas is actually $10 more per person than Karmina. I hear Karmina is nicer, is that true?

Is it worth going to Karmina or should we just take a taxi to Las Hadas on our own and not book it though the ship? Any idea how much a taxi would be to get there and back? We are more comfortable doing the excursion though the boat but not going to pay the $99 per adult they are asking for for Las Hadas. :eek: Karmina is $89 per person but I hear that it is a really nice place. Is it worth that? Both include food, drinks and transportation for the day.

One last question, just wondering if one place had better food over the other. Thank you!!!

Thank you!

I can't comment on Karmina , but last year we were in Manzanillo we went to Playa Audiencia on our own. We picked that beach because we wanted to see were Bo Dereks movie "TEN" was filmed. They had decent food & drinks the prices were reasonable & the water was warm clear & calm, great for kids. Ever since finding this Cruise Critic Forum I don't book tours with the cruiselines anymore, You can do just about anything they offer for much less on your own. Cabs from town to the beach & back are ready available. Just keep track of the time & you will be O.K. doing it on your own.

a bit more on Manzanillo. Manzanillo is a Least Favorite port of call, as you arrive in an industrial shipyard, with little nearby of interest to the typical cruiser. Because it is in a large shipyard (the largest shipyard on the Mexican west coast), the taxi service is a bit more expensive. Getting to Las Hadas is at least $15. Manzanillo is also typically very hot & humid. On the other hand, because Manzanillo is a not visited much, the hotels and people are very welcoming. If you are on a budget, with your children ages, we would suggest taking a cab to Las Hadas, walk right in like you own the place, pick a place to sit by the beach or pools, ask to see a menu, and order some drinks, and pay in cash, and tip. It is a beautiful location, very quiet, very few visitors or guests, the staff should be thrilled that you are there. If all goes well, stay. If you get an itch to see Audiencia, take a 5 minute cab over to Tesoro, and do the same thing, visit/sit/pool/drinks/pay. Audiencia beach has lots of beach activities, like banana boat rides, and vendors with things to look at and buy. Jet skis to rent, Parasail, snorkel, that kind of thing. (We have rented a chair and umbrella on Audencia for $1/day, and there are lots of nearby food and drink choices to cut the cost way below hotel food/drink costs, and very tasty choices).

Bingo, beautiful beach day in a least favorite port of call. $10 cab ride back to ship. BRAVO!

Many of your fellow cruisers will get to experience the best part about the near to ship shopping area in Manzanillo, the big Fish Statue Below

Thanks again Bobnsofi for all of your wonderful advice. One more question, since Tesoro is an AI, will they take cash at the restaurants and bars to pay for our food and beverage? Might be a silly question, but I thought I would ask.

• 9 months later...
I can't comment on Karmina , but last year we were in Manzanillo we went to Playa Audiencia on our own. We picked that beach because we wanted to see were Bo Dereks movie "TEN" was filmed. They had decent food & drinks the prices were reasonable & the water was warm clear & calm, great for kids. Ever since finding this Cruise Critic Forum I don't book tours with the cruiselines anymore, You can do just about anything they offer for much less on your own. Cabs from town to the beach & back are ready available. Just keep track of the time & you will be O.K. doing it on your own.

Quick question here. We want to go to Audiencia Beach for the day like you did, on our own, not going through an AI. Where did you tell the taxi to drop you off? If we just say "take us to Audiencia Beach", where will they drop us off? And about how much was taxi fare to the drop off area?

Another Manzanillo question here...

Is it possible to book a tour in port ~ like, as you get off the ship?? One poster on another board said she didn't think there would be tours sold at the port because it is so industrial?? Just wondering... I think we would like a tour to see Colima, maybe stop at a few "authentic" places we've read about, get some coffee and Ponche, etc. Anyway... do we need to book with Carnival or would someone on here know if it is possible to hire someone once we get off the ship??

Thanks!

NO MORE industrial port arrivals!

Cruise ships now have their own port and do NOT arrive in the industrial port any more.

We were there last spring.

The new port is right downtown near that marlin statue so you walk right into the main downtown area when you get off the ship.

We like Manzanillo because it is a "real" city and not totally commercialized for tourists. There are some really interesting towns to see if you go inland on a tour.

Another Manzanillo question here...

Is it possible to book a tour in port ~ like, as you get off the ship?? One poster on another board said she didn't think there would be tours sold at the port because it is so industrial?? Just wondering... I think we would like a tour to see Colima, maybe stop at a few "authentic" places we've read about, get some coffee and Ponche, etc. Anyway... do we need to book with Carnival or would someone on here know if it is possible to hire someone once we get off the ship??

Thanks!

I was the poster who told you about the industrial port. Glad to hear that the new one is where we will dock. The tours that you are interested in are available thru www.gomanzanillo.com but they cost more than Carnival and you pay for your lunch. We took the volcano tour that Carnival used to offer and LOVED it. I normally do not book tours thru the cruise linesbut this was the exception. The tour takes you very far south and inland and I did not want to run the risk of not getting back to the ship.I was also traveling with 3 of my in-laws who had never cruised before and were very nervous about even being in Mexico! The Colonial tour that Carnival is now offering is almost the same as the one we took . They also offer the Magic Pueblos tour which is similar. If I were doing this tour again, I would do the Colonial tour. Either way, if you go , get your driver to show you where the coffee roaster for "cafe La Flor De Suchitlan" is. The address is Madero 52 in Comala. They sell liquor there too!:D

I think I have already mentioned that we took a private tour to the places described above in the Colonial Tour and the Magic Pueblo Tour. It was about the same price as the one that Carnival offered but we generally don't like large bus tours and having our own driver made us able to stop when we wanted and to add or subtract sites we found more/less interesting. We will probably try to arrange something similar for our next visit in March.

I think I have already mentioned that we took a private tour to the places described above in the Colonial Tour and the Magic Pueblo Tour. It was about the same price as the one that Carnival offered but we generally don't like large bus tours and having our own driver made us able to stop when we wanted and to add or subtract sites we found more/less interesting. We will probably try to arrange something similar for our next visit in March.

We did the Colonial Tour thru the ship. Loved it. If we ever get a chance to go back to Manzanillo, we will do it again.

I don't think there was a problem with the amount of people, unlike some of the other tours. Our tour had 2 buses and we were in the 2nd bus that was was 3/4 full and about 10 minutes behind the 1st bus. I never felt I was standing around because we had to take the mandatory 30 min. stop at a restaurant that I had no intention of eating at. With the Colonial Tour, the meal & 2 drinks at the restaurant are included.

For me, regarding ship vs. private excursions, is if the destination is more than 1hr away from the port, than we will do the ship's for the peace of mind.

Cupcayke - The ponche in Comala is great! Had it at Don Comalon (restaurant mentioned above). IIRC, I saw a store selling different types of Ponche down the block from the restaurant.

A few years ago we went to Las Hadas. We really had a good time at the pool and the beach. If I recall, we paid something like $20 or $30 pp but then they gave us that same amount of money in "tickets" that we could then use for drinks, food or even in the gift shop. We really had a great time, and some other people just left their tickets so my kid then went "shopping" in the gift shop and had alot of fun. Does anyone know if they are still doing this with having you pay but giving the tickets??

Archived