Driving to Bayonne, NJ Port

prillacj

We're driving from Pittsburgh to the Bayonne, NJ port for Saturday cruise. If we would arrive early to the port is there anything walking distance once we park the car. Would it be better to stop a little before we arrive to the port, if so any suggestions where to stop.

There's a small shopping center just as you turn into the port entrance which is a distance to the port itself, but absolutely nothing within walking distance of the port facility. Definitely stop before you get to the port. We haven't driven there so I can't help with where.

Are you driving the same day from Pittsburgh? If so, by the time you arrive, it will probably be time to board. I went on the Sept 11 Bermuda cruise and we arrived at 10:30. By the time I unloaded, parked the car, and got checked in, it was after 11 am. We sat in the departure lounge, had some coffee and cookies, and it was soon time to board. Once on board we had a leisurely lunch in the Windjammer and the rooms were available at 1:30. The afternoon is a good time to explore and enjoy the ship. If you feel you must do something, you can get off the ship and walk to the 911 Memorial that is right by the ship.

Hi! I tried to search but couldn't find what I am looking for and I am work and really shouldn't be doing this now! :rolleyes:

But we are driving to Cape Liberty from Western Mass this coming Saturday and am looking for directions...don't like I-95 !!!!!

Help please and THANKS!

Hi! I tried to search but couldn't find what I am looking for and I am work and really shouldn't be doing this now! :rolleyes:

But we are driving to Cape Liberty from Western Mass this coming Saturday and am looking for directions...don't like I-95 !!!!!

Help please and THANKS!

Understand what you are saying about 95.

Where in western mass are you

If you could

take 90 to the NY state thruway (87 south) you take that to 287 south to 80 East to the NJ Turnpike to exit 14 A and follow signs for the Cruise port

Another way is 84 to 684 to 87/287 south (accross the tappen zee bridge) then 287 south to 80 East to the NJ Turnpike

These are kind of a round about ways but you do avoid 95 and the George Washington Bridge.

NOTE: The cruise port in Bayonne is located on a remote penninsula there is absolutely nothing within a short walking distance in the area.

We're driving from Pittsburgh to the Bayonne, NJ port for Saturday cruise. If we would arrive early to the port is there anything walking distance once we park the car. Would it be better to stop a little before we arrive to the port, if so any suggestions where to stop.

Depends on what you want to do.

There is absolutely nothing to do around the cruise terminal itself. It is located on a remote peninsula on an old army base. You would have to drive to the shopping center...

Liberty State Park is nearby where you can catch a ferry to statue of liberty but you cannot walk there..

WMQueenie - The directions are essentially the same as the one's I gave you last year when you sailed out of NY.

"You want to get to I84 to I91 to the Wilbur Cross Parkway to the Merritt Parkway to the Hutchinson River Parkway to the Cross County Parkway to the Saw Mill River Parkway to the Henry Hudson Parkway."

These were apparently good directions for you to get to the Manhattan Cruise terminal. This year from the Henry Hudson Parkway you would stay left after the toll and take the GW Bridge exit. On the bridge drift over to the middle left lane and follow the signs to I80 and the NJ Turnpike. Take the turnpike south and follow the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel when the road splits. Don't get off at the Lincoln Tunnel - stay on the turnpike to exit 14, 14A, 14B, 14C and follow the signs to exit 14A. At the toll plaza go straight across and up the ramp which curves left. Stay right and bear right at every opportunity until you see the traffic light at route 440. Make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first traffic light.

Don't take the Tappan Zee Bridge - it takes you way out of the way and you end up fighting the traffic back towards NYC again. You want to avoid I95, but the GW Bridge is just fine - the entrance ramp from the HH Parkway has its own lane on the bridge and no "merge" is really required. The outbound bridge traffic tends to be just fine because there is no toll plaza to back it up.

I travel with my 91 year old mother, so I always go down ahead of time to central NJ. She lives at exit 8 on the NJ Turnpike, so it takes us about 50 minutes to go back to Bayonne. From Springfield I would estimate no more than 3 hours to Bayonne. It takes me 3 hours from Hartford to central NJ, so Springfield to Bayonne should be no more than 3 hours.

I travel with my 91 year old mother, so I always go down ahead of time to central NJ. She lives at exit 8 on the NJ Turnpike, so it takes us about 50 minutes to go back to Bayonne. From Springfield I would estimate no more than 3 hours to Bayonne. It takes me 3 hours from Hartford to central NJ, so Springfield to Bayonne should be no more than 3 hours.

I thought you were coming from Boston & was wondering how long a ride it was from here.

Where are you around Boston? It takes me about 4 1/2 hours to central Jersey, so for me I would figure 4 hours to Bayonne. However, you have to add some extra time for stopping (I try to make 1 very quick stop) and traffic. The time is also affected by the day of the week and the time of day you are traveling.

GO STEELERS, Ok fellow Pittsburgher, here we go. DW and I left the North Hills about 5:30 am (second take-off I forgot something the first) and hit the PA Turnpike at exit 48. We stopped three times between here and there, an average of 15 minutes each time, and got to Bayonne about 11:45. We did a quick stop at the Teardrop 911 memorial and were on the ship at about 12:30. As the prior posters stated, there is a small shopping center next to the entrance to the port however, you have to pass it up and come back to it as there is no left turn into the complex.

Cape Liberty is an old US Navy base and as such, is close to nothing.

The trip, we've done it twice, is easy but I could see driving up the day before. The majority of the drive is Interstate highway and should take you about 6 hours with minimal stops, like ours.

Enjoy your cruise.

Where are you around Boston? It takes me about 4 1/2 hours to central Jersey, so for me I would figure 4 hours to Bayonne. However, you have to add some extra time for stopping (I try to make 1 very quick stop) and traffic. The time is also affected by the day of the week and the time of day you are traveling.

We're in Everett. I'm trying to decide if I want to try driving down the day of the cruise. We're going in May so there shouldn't be any weather issues but we leave on a Thursday which means somewhere along the way I'll be in commuter traffic.

Everett is tough during the week because you are so close in to Boston - you'll hit commuter traffic both in the morning or evening trying to get on I90. However, driving down the same day would work if you get an early start. The other option is to leave around 7 pm the previous evening and find an inexpensive hotel/motel on Hotwire or Priceline between Stamford and New Haven which would put you about 2 hours from the pier.

The trip is different for me - I live northwest of Boston so I can leave at 4:30 and miss the big rush hour crunch. I stop at exit 65 on I84 at Rein's delicatessen about 6, and by the time I get back on the road the traffic through Hartford has eased up.

Archived