Why not wait for the deals?

jimsilv

Being new to cruising, my wife and I attended a Cruise Show in London, I think it was in March, at the show we booked a cruise on the Journey for November.

Now nearing the payment date we see, thanks to this site, various offers and deals coming forward, generous OBC, Open bar, free air fares for our American cousins etc. Apparently with more likely to follow.

Usually the nearer the fly date, airfares increase, nearer to your stay date, hotel prices increase but with cruises nearer the sail date the price decreases.

Why then book early?

Why not wait for the deals!!!!

Jim

Being new to cruising, my wife and I attended a Cruise Show in London, I think it was in March, at the show we booked a cruise on the Journey for November.

Now nearing the payment date we see, thanks to this site, various offers and deals coming forward, generous OBC, Open bar, free air fares for our American cousins etc. Apparently with more likely to follow.

Usually the nearer the fly date, airfares increase, nearer to your stay date, hotel prices increase but with cruises nearer the sail date the price decreases.

Why then book early?

Why not wait for the deals!!!!

Jim

Hi Jim !

Welcome to Cruise Critic !

This question has been around for ages, and will likely never go away. The bottom line is, there is no "right" answer. By booking early, you get choice of ship/itinerary/location, and that will be a big issue to some. Besides, there are plenty of times when the price of the sailing can increase, and sell out. In that case... for those who waited, they've now made a big mistake.

I can totally understand that it gets frustrating when you see others getting better deals, but that happens in many walks of life. Airlines change their prices by the hour. For us, we book the ship, itinerary and cabin that works best, and try not to worry about who is getting a better deal. Enjoy your Cruise !

I agree with the sentiment. Most cruiselines allow you to cancel and rebook at the lower rate, but apparently Az has put restrictions in about this.

Hi Wendy !

Regarding cancel and rebook policies, I do not believe that Azamara does anything more restrictive than other Cruise lines. When I receive sale emails, I read the fine print as much as possible. In most all promotions, virtually every Cruise line clearly states: "for new bookings only" and that you cannot cancel and rebook. Azamara does the same. As for when you are after final payment ? Most every Cruise line wont let you touch your booking without severe penalties, so it's nothing new in that department.

I realize the rules are different for those who live outside of the US, so that might be what you are referring to.

Hi Andy

Thanks for the reply, with my limited knowledge, it just appears to me that discounting near sail date is the norm.

Maybe they put it on at the front to take it off at the rear!!!

But as you say if you want a particular cabin grade on a particular ship on a particular date from a particular port etc etc you need to ensure you get it, but if you not too fussed hang fire and hopefully get a bargain.

Jim

Another reason for booking early is of course:

Usually the nearer the fly date, airfares increase, nearer to your stay date, hotel prices increase

:D

Having said that we're hanging on for another couple of months to see what bolt-ons (hotel add-ons, OBC) we may get offered a bit closer to departure, or at the Birmingham Cruise Show.

Welcome to CC and no matter how much you paid, a cruise will be the best holiday you'll ever have.

no matter how much you paid, a cruise will be the best holiday you'll ever have.

Hi Nijh !

Great comment, and I couldnt agree more. For us, Cruising is the only way to vacation.

@jimsilv

Supply and demand. Azamara has only six cabins on their small ships that we would consider. Once we find the cruise we want, we make damn sure we get one of those cabins, and that means booking early. Now for the hard part: Never look back. We got what we wanted at a price we considered fair.

Azamara has only six cabins on their small ships that we would consider. Once we find the cruise we want, we make damn sure we get one of those cabins, and that means booking early. Now for the hard part: Never look back.

Never look back???? Isn't that the point of your booking those stern cabins? ;):):D

ships-wake.jpg

All comments so far just go to show that " Horses for Courses" is alive and well in the cruising community.

Having managed to get on board the Journey whilst she was docked in Greenwick London, for lunch and a tour, we are really looking forward to the cruise........freebies or no freebies, if there is such a thing.:D

Hi Parpar22

We booked our November cruise at the London Cruise show in March, booking a Club World Owners suite, apparently if you booked at the show you were entered into a draw(raffle) the lucky winners were invited for lunch and a tour when the Journey docked in London in early June.

Lucky us!!! we won, and togther with another couple had a superb lunch in Prime C and a guided tour of the ship, to cap it all one of the cabins shown on the tour was the one we had actually booked.

Needless to say Can't wait.

Jim

Just a FYI - Azamara's cancellation fee is $25. Not too much in the large scheme of things.

There is nothing harder than trying to figure out when to book a cruise. The further out you book the better choices of location you have, closer in it becomes what's available. What are your personal preferences?

Also, is air going to have to be factored in. It's not that easy getting air at a fair price from here so - what you are going to save on air you can spend on ship and vise versa.

There are certain times of the years that are more or less off season, near the end of the season, (for the US) - hurricane season etc etc.

Our upcoming Journey cruise has lots of vacancies so they are offering lower pricing. We booked before Azamara revampe itself so we have a very good price that we are very happy with.

It really comes down to - book at a price you are happy with and reductions you can get after that are gravy.

Archived