Summit Normandie Restaurant Question

Kruz Guys

I've read nothing but great reviews about the food and the service in the Normandie specialty restaurant. How about the wine selection? Is it the same or different than the MDR? I understand that the price of wine is higher in the Normandie than in the MDR. Is this correct and if so about how much more? Wine is not the main reason for going to the Normandie but it does enhance the dining experience. ;) :)

I've read nothing but great reviews about the food and the service in the Normandie specialty restaurant. How about the wine selection? Is it the same or different than the MDR? I understand that the price of wine is higher in the Normandie than in the MDR. Is this correct and if so about how much more? Wine is not the main reason for going to the Normandie but it does enhance the dining experience. ;) :)

We have not been on Summit but In the SS United States, Ocean Liners and the Olympic, there is a different wine list for these restaurant. I think that it may vary a little from ship to ship but the attached is an example.

Sue

xspecialityrestwinelist100414.pdf

We have not been on Summit but In the SS United States, Ocean Liners and the Olympic, there is a different wine list for these restaurant. I think that it may vary a little from ship to ship but the attached is an example.

Sue

Thanks for the attachment. I appreciate the info. :eek:

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

I just received the following email from Celebrity's Crystal Murray (Celebrity Experience Coordinator)

"The complementary Specialty dining is for guests on our Solstice class ships only. Secondly, the Michael's Club Happy Hour, is for Elite Captain Club members only".

Oh well......

:rolleyes: :)

We didn't find the wine anymore expensive, but there were great choices, including the ports and dessert wines. Enjoy! The Normandie is wonderful. Well worth the price anytime.

We had a nice complementary dinner in the Normandie two weeks ago on the Summit.

Suites were given this dinner on the first evening.

We ordered a very nice bottle of Savignon blanc for $30 + and it is served in nice Riedel glasses.

Lovely dinner. We ate there one other evening as well.

Yes excellent list at the Normandie and if it is more expensive it would not be by much.The sommelier has a good knowledge of all things vino and will offer you some great advice. A tip. If you buy a bottle of wine at one of the other eating areas and don't finish it, they will keep it and let you finish it at the Normandie at no extra cost. We also bought two bottles of Antinori (one of the better Italian labels) at the on board wine auction for $25 per bottle. Now they usually retail for $100+ so we had a bargain and once again we were able to drink them at the Normandie at no further cost. The Normandie is an excellent restaurant and a highlight of any Summit cruise and for the small extra charge, it is a steal!

We had a nice complementary dinner in the Normandie two weeks ago on the Summit.

Suites were given this dinner on the first evening.

We ordered a very nice bottle of Savignon blanc for $30 + and it is served in nice Riedel glasses.

Lovely dinner. We ate there one other evening as well.

This is good news. Thanks for the feedback and nice review. We're looking forward to our dinner(s) there. Already have two nights booked so if we get the complmentary one that is a nice extra perk. :D ;) :)

If I ordered a bottle of wine in the MDR and S/we don't finish it will they hold it until the next time we request it?

Where do we find out what the bottles cost?

I am wondering if several bottles ordered throughout the 8 day cruise to be used in the dining room (maybe 5 glasses out of each bottle?) would be cheaper than a wine package as the classic wine package only has one Chardonnay to pick from. This might hold true for a port intensive (4 port+1 overnight) cruise.

If I ordered a bottle of wine in the MDR and S/we don't finish it will they hold it until the next time we request it?

Where do we find out what the bottles cost?

I am wondering if several bottles ordered throughout the 8 day cruise to be used in the dining room (maybe 5 glasses out of each bottle?) would be cheaper than a wine package as the classic wine package only has one Chardonnay to pick from. This might hold true for a port intensive (4 port+1 overnight) cruise.

On the cruises we've been on in the past, wine that you order at the restaurant (MDR, etc) will be held for you if you don't finish the bottle. You are given a "receipt" and the next time you go to dinner you present the receipt and they bring you the wine you left the previous night.

I'm not sure if there is a wine list with prices or if the wine list on the Celebrity website (the section where you can buy gifts or wine packages) shows the information you are asking about.

I don't know about the wine packages - never did that before. I think I like the by the bottle approach best at least for us. ;) :D

We had the pleasure of dining twice on the Summit last week. We bought a nice bottle of Riesling for $31, what we did not finish was delivered to our stateroom. We had the choice of sending it to the MDR also. The petitfours we could not manage to eat were packaged for us to take away..Enjoy your experience.

We also bought two bottles of Antinori (one of the better Italian labels) at the on board wine auction for $25 per bottle. Now they usually retail for $100+ so we had a bargain and once again we were able to drink them at the Normandie at no further cost.

Now that is interesting. We wanted to buy wine at the auction on our last cruise if they would let us take it right away but they insisted they had to ship it, and since we live in Canada we didn't want to worry about Customs fees. Has this policy changed?

SusieV we cruised with the Summit Sept. 09 and hopefully their policy hasn't changed since then. There was absolutely no problem drinking our auction wine at the Normandie and the sommelier was surprised that we had purchased it at such a low price. Of course it was an excellent drop and almost as good as some of the Aussie vintages LOL

We had the pleasure of dining twice on the Summit last week. We bought a nice bottle of Riesling for $31, what we did not finish was delivered to our stateroom. We had the choice of sending it to the MDR also. The petitfours we could not manage to eat were packaged for us to take away..Enjoy your experience.

Glad you enjoyed Normandie. I'm a big fan of Riesling, so will look for that on the wine list; very reasonably priced too?

What would you recommend on the Normandie menu?

Now that is interesting. We wanted to buy wine at the auction on our last cruise if they would let us take it right away but they insisted they had to ship it, and since we live in Canada we didn't want to worry about Customs fees. Has this policy changed?

They will not let you "take it right away" [like if you buy alcohol in the shop on board] but they will deliver it to a restaurant [at least on Infinity last November].

Sue

We spent 21 days on Infinity this year and drank quite a bit of wine - and ate at the SS United States a fair amount (which BTW we LOVE). We just sent down whatever bottle we were drinking to the spec restaurant. We even discussed with our MDR sommolier what we thought we would eat the next night at the spec restaurant and he suggested stuff for us. We had different wine packages and that's why we did it that way. It all worked very well for us and the spec restaurant sommolier was funny and teased us about the fact we like our MDR sommolier better than him.

Librarylady.

Yes the wine was reasonably priced. I also had reisling by the glass for $8. (The $31 bottle included tax). If you enjoy fish the Dover Sole is excellent and prepared at the table. I had the Lobster and filet one night. As it was too much for me I just ordered the lobster the second night which was the same size as the surf and turf so if you want value and can take it..

The Grand Marnier souffle was delicious.

1875653046_Summitcruise186.jpg.528c6749ed95b05ee0c8529e8cb5f27f.jpg

1149292313_Summitcruise187.jpg.474cc9d04c2b947fd8d87d2023541b4d.jpg

497535638_Summitcruise189.jpg.4713413f8fc163e86014b3636e01f005.jpg

I just received the following email from Celebrity's Crystal Murray (Celebrity Experience Coordinator)

"The complementary Specialty dining is for guests on our Solstice class ships only. Secondly, the Michael's Club Happy Hour, is for Elite Captain Club members only".

Oh well......

:rolleyes: :)

Yes, the Suite guests do get the complementary dinner, but any passenger can make a reservation. We ate there twice in May and loved it.

There is also the option of a wine pairing dinner for an additional $50 ($35+50). It includes five full glasses of wine that are paired to each course. They are wines not normally available by the glass. We did one wine pairing each time, as 5 glasses is more than enough for the two of us! It was no problem.

There are two choices of wine for each course, so we tried most of them. For dessert the second night the wine was way too sweet. After we started eating dessert I decided to take another sip. OH WOW! I don't understand the science of it, but the dessert/wine combination really, really worked!

Enjoy!

Sara

Yes, the Suite guests do get the complementary dinner, but any passenger can make a reservation. We ate there twice in May and loved it.

There is also the option of a wine pairing dinner for an additional $50 ($35+50). It includes five full glasses of wine that are paired to each course. They are wines not normally available by the glass. We did one wine pairing each time, as 5 glasses is more than enough for the two of us! It was no problem.

There are two choices of wine for each course, so we tried most of them. For dessert the second night the wine was way too sweet. After we started eating dessert I decided to take another sip. OH WOW! I don't understand the science of it, but the dessert/wine combination really, really worked!

Enjoy!

Sara

Thanks Sara for the information. We have two reservations at the Normandie (Tuesday and Friday). We usually order a bottle of wine each and have them keep what is left until the next night. However, we may try the wine pairing one night. Sounds interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

As best I can recall the wine list in the specialty restaurants has the same wines at the same prices as the main dining room list and also has a few other wines not offered in the main dining room.

The specialty restaurants also have some finer and rarer wines that are not on either list - if you're interested in higher end wines you should ask about these. I also believe you can order from the Specialty Restaurant list in the MDR and vice versa)

I know if you don't finish a bottle of wine in the Specialty Restuarant you can have it sent to the MDR and I think the reverse is true as well. The ship is pretty flexible with wine purchased on board!

As others have noted, Normandie is fabulous....we have such fond memories of it that we hunted for the cutaway of the ship that is in the mini museum and have it hanging in our home!

That said, if you love wine, the moment you board, request to dine in the wine cellar of Normandie...it is a room where the walls are the wine storage coolers..with a small table where you will be able to enjoy an incredibly private meal and get a wonderful education about the wines on board....

Archived