9/11th-18th The Liberty Rocked!

Lady Arwen

My husband and myself (both early 60's-17 cruises total) and my niece and her fiance (both early 30's-6 cruises total) were on the Liberty Sept 11-18. As my DH and I have cruised mostly with Princess, Celebrity and HAL and only once with Carnival in 1994 (a bit of a disappointment) we were a little reluctant to try Carnival again.

Well, we were very pleasantly surprised!! We had a fabulous time. The Liberty is in great shape, very clean and well maintained. No complaints about her at all.

My DH and I were in an OS suite and my niece in an aft wrap. Both were perfect for us. The cabins were always extremely clean and very roomy. The aft wrap balcony is to die for!

The food was very good in the dining room and the waiters most attentive. The food in the buffet was mostly good, some hits, some misses, but we always found something we liked and never left hungry.

The entertainment was pretty much the usual cruise ship shows, but worth checking out. I could live without the Piano Man. However, we were so lucky to have Blood Power onboard and let me tell you, they are the best band, on any cruise ship. EVER! We rocked every single night with them and if you love 60's 70's and 80's music, do not miss them. Very talented group of guys from the Phillipines, who have been with Carnival for years.

We ordered our liquor from Bon Voyage (no smuggling for us!!) and it worked out great. Got our juice/soda from either room service, buffet or at one of the bars. Saved tons of money. We did enjoy some DOD's and always got our coffee from the cafe. Much better coffee, at a very reasonable price.

We did the Western Caribbean, which we have done many times before, so no surprises.

Love Cozumel and Grand Cayman, but, Jamaica, not so much. My niece and her fiance did Carnival excursions on all the islands and enjoyed them all.

We are booked on the Miracle for January 2011 and 2012, so you could say we are definately Carnival Converts. The best value for the money and, for sure, the most fun we have ever had on a cruise.

Thank you all for all your posts in favour of Carnival, they really helped us make the decision to jump over to Carnival. Hope to see some of you on the Miracle Jan. 6th, 2011!

Glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise. My Dad, his wife (mid 60s) ourselves (late 30s) and our children (11, 16) are on Liberty in January (Western). We have only done one other cruise (princess). Dad and his wife have not cruised and surprised us with this one.

I have been a bit worried about all ages enjoying themselves.

Can you tell me about Jamaica? what you liked/didn't like. Is there a decent beach near port? We were thinking of going to the beach at Margaritaville and not leave the "port area" because I have not read favourable reviews. I have been to the other ports before.

Thanks

My husband and myself (both early 60's-17 cruises total) and my niece and her fiance (both early 30's-6 cruises total) were on the Liberty Sept 11-18. As my DH and I have cruised mostly with Princess, Celebrity and HAL and only once with Carnival in 1994 (a bit of a disappointment) we were a little reluctant to try Carnival again.

Well, we were very pleasantly surprised!! We had a fabulous time. The Liberty is in great shape, very clean and well maintained. No complaints about her at all.

My DH and I were in an OS suite and my niece in an aft wrap. Both were perfect for us. The cabins were always extremely clean and very roomy. The aft wrap balcony is to die for!

The food was very good in the dining room and the waiters most attentive. The food in the buffet was mostly good, some hits, some misses, but we always found something we liked and never left hungry.

The entertainment was pretty much the usual cruise ship shows, but worth checking out. I could live without the Piano Man. However, we were so lucky to have Blood Power onboard and let me tell you, they are the best band, on any cruise ship. EVER! We rocked every single night with them and if you love 60's 70's and 80's music, do not miss them. Very talented group of guys from the Phillipines, who have been with Carnival for years.

We ordered our liquor from Bon Voyage (no smuggling for us!!) and it worked out great. Got our juice/soda from either room service, buffet or at one of the bars. Saved tons of money. We did enjoy some DOD's and always got our coffee from the cafe. Much better coffee, at a very reasonable price.

We did the Western Caribbean, which we have done many times before, so no surprises.

Love Cozumel and Grand Cayman, but, Jamaica, not so much. My niece and her fiance did Carnival excursions on all the islands and enjoyed them all.

We are booked on the Miracle for January 2011 and 2012, so you could say we are definately Carnival Converts. The best value for the money and, for sure, the most fun we have ever had on a cruise.

Thank you all for all your posts in favour of Carnival, they really helped us make the decision to jump over to Carnival. Hope to see some of you on the Miracle Jan. 6th, 2011!

Can I ask about how much you paid for the bottles of liquor? I was thinking of doing this for our upcoming cruise. Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed the liberty as much as I did :D She is my favorite so far, but many more to see.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise. My Dad, his wife (mid 60s) ourselves (late 30s) and our children (11, 16) are on Liberty in January (Western). We have only done one other cruise (princess). Dad and his wife have not cruised and surprised us with this one.

I have been a bit worried about all ages enjoying themselves.

Can you tell me about Jamaica? what you liked/didn't like. Is there a decent beach near port? We were thinking of going to the beach at Margaritaville and not leave the "port area" because I have not read favourable reviews. I have been to the other ports before.

Thanks

We did not leave the port area. In the past we were not happy with being harrassed, so usually stayed on the ship. There is a small shopping area near the dock. which was enough for us. Your dad and his wife will have a terrific time. Lots of passengers were our age and stayed up later than the young uns!

Enjoy your cruise.

Can I ask about how much you paid for the bottles of liquor? I was thinking of doing this for our upcoming cruise. Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed the liberty as much as I did :D She is my favorite so far, but many more to see.

If you search the threads for Bon Vogage Liquor, there is a list of beverages and the prices.

We paid $40.00 for Bacardi Rum and $45.00 for Frangelico. We also had 12 Coronas delivered to our cabin and they were $4.95 each. The wine was about $25.00 per bottle.

I am so glad you enjoyed your cruise on the Liberty! My Mom and I sailed on the western itin on Liberty last October, and had a wonderful time. My mother has cruised many times on Celebrity, NCL, RCL, and Princess, but this was her first Carnival cruise. She really enjoyed the cruise/ship/food and was quite impressed. She especially thought that the variety of food both on the dining room menus and on the Lido deck ( Deli, Pizza, Mongolian, Grill, buffet etc ) offered so many options for food that there would be no way you could try them all. She still likes Celebrity best, but she said she would not hesitate to sail on Carnival again. :)

I am so glad you enjoyed your cruise on the Liberty! My Mom and I sailed on the western itin on Liberty last October, and had a wonderful time. My mother has cruised many times on Celebrity, NCL, RCL, and Princess, but this was her first Carnival cruise. She really enjoyed the cruise/ship/food and was quite impressed. She especially thought that the variety of food both on the dining room menus and on the Lido deck ( Deli, Pizza, Mongolian, Grill, buffet etc ) offered so many options for food that there would be no way you could try them all. She still likes Celebrity best, but she said she would not hesitate to sail on Carnival again. :)

Actually, our last Celebrity cruise (Galaxy) was nice, but not nearly as much fun as on the Liberty.

The entertainment was pretty much the usual cruise ship shows, but worth checking out. I could live without the Piano Man.

Do you remember who the piano man was? I really enjoy a good sing along/comedy in that venue. I've heard that Brad Alexander would be coming on our sailing in October - just wondered if you knew who your player was.

Definately going to check out Blood Power - have read fabulous things about them!!!

Do you remember who the piano man was? I really enjoy a good sing along/comedy in that venue. I've heard that Brad Alexander would be coming on our sailing in October - just wondered if you knew who your player was.

Definately going to check out Blood Power - have read fabulous things about them!!!

I think his name was Wally B, but not sure. He was not very good and it is a very, very, smoky room. We only stayed 5 minutes. You will so enjoy Blood Power.

DH (42) and I (38)were on the same cruise. This was our first cruise and I have to say that this was the BEST cruise EVER! I'm a little scared that we won't be able to top it on our next one. :eek:

Blood Power is an excellent band and they were very interactive and entertaining. They constantly had us jamming and laughing. Did you check out the singers (I think they're called Sea Breeze) in the lobby in the evenings? We thought they were great also and perfect when you just want to just relax and sit back and enjoy the sounds.

The ship was beautiful and very clean. My DH would occasionally run his fingers over a doorway or high structure (he's pretty tall) and his fingers came up clean every time. By the end of the cruise it was like a game of sorts of trying to find the dust. It was a constant reminder to us of how hard the staff works. The staff was great and always smiling and helpful.

Did you try the Mongolion Wok? I loved it!! I ate there just about everyday.

DH (42) and I (38)were on the same cruise. This was our first cruise and I have to say that this was the BEST cruise EVER! I'm a little scared that we won't be able to top it on our next one. :eek:

Blood Power is an excellent band and they were very interactive and entertaining. They constantly had us jamming and laughing. Did you check out the singers (I think they're called Sea Breeze) in the lobby in the evenings? We thought they were great also and perfect when you just want to just relax and sit back and enjoy the sounds.

The ship was beautiful and very clean. My DH would occasionally run his fingers over a doorway or high structure (he's pretty tall) and his fingers came up clean every time. By the end of the cruise it was like a game of sorts of trying to find the dust. It was a constant reminder to us of how hard the staff works. The staff was great and always smiling and helpful.

Did you try the Mongolion Wok? I loved it!! I ate there just about everyday.

Yes, I tried the Mongolion Wok. Big line ups, so only managed once with 1/2 hr. wait!!

It was yummy!!!! Also enjoyed the lobby band, especially the young lady-very talented.

Great review - thanks for sharing! We set sail on Liberty in just over two weeks now!!! :D

My first time at posting, so I was a little nervous. Everyone is so nice, so now I'm going to be a full time participant! You will have a great time on the Liberty. Please post when you get back home. ENJOY!!!!!

I also loved the Liberty...I sure do wish Blood Power had been on our sailing, guess they were off back then and we had the "only" American Band on Carnival I think and they really stunk

they played some of their own "original" (boring) music, did long jams and generally didn't interact with the audience much at all

I love the Filipino cover bands...every one I ever saw was so talented

and so much fun...they play music you "know"

Liberty really deserves all the raves....clean, fun, very "together"...

great food and I also thought it was very nicely decorated, the atrium has a light airy look, not "Vegas" at all like some people complain about Carnival

Dh and I were on the same cruise... and I agree with everything Lady Arwen says.

The Liberty's a wonderful ship..... loved the decor- and colour-changing lights.

Blood power is an awesome band... so entertaining!

We didn't even get to sit down in the piano bar.... we stepped in... the smoke drove us straight out!

A pity..... we normally like piano bars... other cruise lines don't have smoking in the piano bar!

eeyoremum... there are 2 nice beaches within walking distance of the port... you can see them from the ship.

We love Ocho Rios..... it was one of the reasons we booked this cruise..... never been overly hassled there!

We just walked up to the shopping center, and did some souvenir shopping. Just got the usual hair-braiding and taxi requests...nothing too much!

The weather in Grand Cayman wasn't brilliant... cloudy with a rain shower scuppered our plans for seven-mile beach and snorkelling.... but we had a pleasant walk around the town instead.

In Cozumel, we went to the ruins and beach excursion from Carnival.... it was a nice trip, with a great guide (Barbara) and a lovely beach break, with great snorkelling!

The food was great in the dining room....I still think Canival has the best food of the mass-market cruise lines!

Archived