Wanting to sell some girls formal dresses...where?

MamaParrotHead

Is it against TOS to post "for sale" items on CC? I'm wondering how to sell my daughter's size 12/14 beautiful, worn once gowns we purchased for formal nights. I have four of them and as much as it's killing me to part with them, they're not doing us any good in her closet since she's outgrown them.

Any ideas?

Is it against TOS to post "for sale" items on CC? I'm wondering how to sell my daughter's size 12/14 beautiful, worn once gowns we purchased for formal nights. I have four of them and as much as it's killing me to part with them, they're not doing us any good in her closet since she's outgrown them.

Any ideas?

I am pretty sure this is violating TOS...before it gets poofed...the logical answer is EBAY.

We do have a kids' consignment shop, but being in the midwest and a smaller city, there's really no demand for the longer "formal night" type dresses. Plus you have to be at the store the DAY they take your items off the floor or they get rid of them.

Craigslist hasn't really caught on here yet. Worth a shot, though. Thanks.

Thought about ebay but didn't know if I could maybe get in touch with a group (like here on CC) where there would be more of a use for them.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Do you have a "Plato's Closet" near you. They will actully buy it from you for resale. If you have a lot of items it might be worth a little bit of a drive. Goggle them. You might also look around at the different consignment shops we have some around here that buy it from you for resale. Good luck!

I think this would be a fabulous idea! I think it would be great to be able to sell things to other cruisers - especially gently worn children's items. Maybe if items can't be posted here - would it be against any rules to post a link to your Craigslist ad - maybe under the "moneysaving/tips" forum. It's probably going to take a moderator to answer this one!

Wish I could see them... I'm always thinking about the next cruise ahead and what to put my DD in... She's only 9 but wearing a 12 because she's very tall. Very hard to find nice, age appropriate formal dresses once they get out of the cute little kid sizes...

Wish I could see them... I'm always thinking about the next cruise ahead and what to put my DD in... She's only 9 but wearing a 12 because she's very tall. Very hard to find nice, age appropriate formal dresses once they get out of the cute little kid sizes...

I know, everything is babyish or TOO grown up. (notice the email link in my signature, lol).

Oh my gosh, that is so true! My daughter is 12 and she's 5'10". Shopping for her is really frustrating, because she wears junior and young adult sizes, but so much of the clothing in her size is completely inappropriate for her age. I'm left wondering, also, do the parents of 16 year olds really let their daughters wear some of this stuff? I just hope they make them wear something under some of the tops that I see cut down to their navels!!!

Something we've done in the past is made a project out of going to the fabric store, choosing a pattern, picking out fabric, and making a dress. If you're stuck and you can sew (or know someone who can) this is definitely a great option. Good luck!! :)

Same problem here! My older DD is also very tall and now almost 14, but we really struggled when she was 11 and 12 to find appropriate formal wear. Sometimes I was able to find her a fancy looking skirt and use a cami top (preferably trimmed with something sparkly) with a cute shrug or short jacket. Now she is "developed" enough to wear the prom-type dresses in the junior department and we're battling about how much skin can be shown. For our last cruise, it was a challenge to find her a "formal" type dress in the juniors dept. that wasn't strapless. :eek: It was so much easier when they could wear the darling dresses in the Little Girls dept.

Last month, my DD brought home the dress she's supposed to wear for her 8th grade choir. It's on loan from the school, but to me it looks just about perfect. It's full length, sleeveless with a sweetheart neckline. I wonder where they get them?

Oh my gosh, that is so true! My daughter is 12 and she's 5'10". Shopping for her is really frustrating, because she wears junior and young adult sizes, but so much of the clothing in her size is completely inappropriate for her age. I'm left wondering, also, do the parents of 16 year olds really let their daughters wear some of this stuff? I just hope they make them wear something under some of the tops that I see cut down to their navels!!!

Something we've done in the past is made a project out of going to the fabric store, choosing a pattern, picking out fabric, and making a dress. If you're stuck and you can sew (or know someone who can) this is definitely a great option. Good luck!! :)

Dillards has nice dresses, and I agree with David's Bridal. They also have mix and match sets that offer different tops to go with the skirts.

Do you have a "Plato's Closet" near you. They will actully buy it from you for resale. If you have a lot of items it might be worth a little bit of a drive. Goggle them. You might also look around at the different consignment shops we have some around here that buy it from you for resale. Good luck!

Also check to see if you have a "Kid 2 Kid" in your area. They also buy it from you for resale. It's been a blessing being able to get rid of items that were still in excellent shape after my boys only wore it once or twice(they are growing so fast!).

With the economy the way it is, I was able to make money to take my solo cruise for my birthday and our family family beach vacation;). I'm getting ready to sell some more items I've been storing to earn money for a mother-son dance in October.

Hope this helps.

Archived