acropolis tour guides

bellagirl

In 2008 a group of us (about 6or 8) traveled from the port to the Acropolis via subway - metro? - whatever it's called in Athens. I can't remember what station we got off but we walked up to the Acropolis intenting to wander through it on our own - guidebooks in hand.

Just before we actually got to the parthenon we met Maria - a guide wearing her official ID badge. I can't remember exactly how much per couple she charged - I want to say 30 euros - but she was more than worth every penny! She made the experience for us and, without her, it would never have been it same! She said she was an art teacher and was a guide when school was closed. She gave us just enough facts and made the Acropolis come alive! My husband's an historian (American Civil War) and he also really enjoyed her presentation. I saw many other guides with groups, don't know if they had been pre-arranged, but I was so happy we ran into Maria! She also added a lot of information from a female prespective!

We had a group of 15 and they charged I think 80 Euros. They have licensed guides at the entrance. I agree a big of a crap shoot as you never know their style, how good is english. The one we hired I'd give a B. We learned a lot but she didn't like us to interrupt her "stories" and didn't leave much time for question/answers. It was cheaper then hiring a guide for the day as our driver was very good everywhere else.

Hi-how much do the guides at the acropolis usually charge for their services? Are they usually good? We declined last time but this time may reconsider if it's not too much. Shelly

I can't remember exactly how long we were there - maybe an hour. I know we didn't feel rushed and we walked all around the parthenon and surrounding buildings/ruins. Her English was very, very good and she was happy to answer our questions.

But I absolutely agree with chipmaster - it's hit or miss - we were just very, very lucky to have met up with Maria - and we hadn't even thought of hiring a guide!

Archived