Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

Okay. I'm back and trying to redeem myself. Thinking about how to wear scarves and I remembered that I saw a blog about this, but couldn't remember where. I finally found it and wanted to share. If you'll scroll down and look to the right side of the the home page of this blog/site, you will see many, many ways to tie a scarf. Have fun, everybody!

http://www.maitaispicturebook.com/

Nice site, Debbie. Now, if I could only have the nerve to do it and actually wear it. Oh, guess I would need to find a scarf in FIRE colors first :rolleyes:

Anita,

I love the new swimsuit! I love Athleta too.

I know Pam has some Athleta too--garden green being a FIRE color :) What other Athleta (especially the new colors out now) colors do you think might be FIRE?

I was also looking at an older color called kauai blue--thoughts? Should I have posted this on the FIRE thread???? I thought maybe since this was about Athleta I would try here :)

Hey Kim!

Mom should chime in here...she has one of the blues, but I can't remember if it's Kauai Blue or Wave Blue (the two blue swim dresses in the sale section). I think both could be good though, actually. Especially since I don't think any current colors are really great Fire colors. The clear colors are all looking cool and the warm colors are all looking muted, at least they are in my catalog and when I try to look online.

I hope this isn't too annoying to just comment on the colors as I see them...maybe I'll make a list?

MAYBE colors (They at least look clear, but they look cool/warm in different photos):

Firefly (Green)

Parachute (Purple)

Crimson

Brilliant Blue

Lifeguard Red

Tide Blue

Sand Dune (looks like a great neutral)

Bali Blue

The pictures are making me crazy because they are totally mixing color palettes! Do you have the catalog? On page 39, I think that the Shoreline Hoodie in Bali Blue is FIRE...but paired with ICE Chartreuse swim top and mixed bottoms. I look at the Bali Blue with the model's very warm hair color and love it...but HATE the way the yellow/green Chartreuse top looks with her hair...is it online?

cn4401472.jpg

And in this online photo...the Bali Blue doesn't look super warm...it's enough to make you crazy!!

They put the same model in Bali Blue in two different dresses on p. 65 "Shaper Dress" and p. 73 "Radha Dress"...and the printed color is way more green than the online color. Online the dress is so very blue...but in print, it's so much more teal-ish. I know that my print job must be off because the color "midnight" looks very purple in my catalog (skort on p.5)...and it's a dark blue?

sooo...WARNING!!! LOL!!

There isn't much in Crimson, but it looks consistently HOT:

cn4517500.jpg

And looking at Parachute (purple) online...it's so questionable. It's make me question what to rely on for color interpretation, you know? Not sure how helpful this is...:o

Hey Kim!

Mom should chime in here...she has one of the blues, but I can't remember if it's Kauai Blue or Wave Blue (the two blue swim dresses in the sale section). I think both could be good though, actually. Especially since I don't think any current colors are really great Fire colors. The clear colors are all looking cool and the warm colors are all looking muted, at least they are in my catalog and when I try to look online.

I hope this isn't too annoying to just comment on the colors as I see them...maybe I'll make a list?

MAYBE colors (They at least look clear, but they look cool/warm in different photos):

Firefly (Green)

Parachute (Purple)

Crimson

Brilliant Blue

Lifeguard Red

Tide Blue

Sand Dune (looks like a great neutral)

Bali Blue

The pictures are making me crazy because they are totally mixing color palettes! Do you have the catalog? On page 39, I think that the Shoreline Hoodie in Bali Blue is FIRE...but paired with ICE Chartreuse swim top and mixed bottoms. I look at the Bali Blue with the model's very warm hair color and love it...but HATE the way the yellow/green Chartreuse top looks with her hair...is it online?

cn4401472.jpg

And in this online photo...the Bali Blue doesn't look super warm...it's enough to make you crazy!!

They put the same model in Bali Blue in two different dresses on p. 65 "Shaper Dress" and p. 73 "Radha Dress"...and the printed color is way more green than the online color. Online the dress is so very blue...but in print, it's so much more teal-ish. I know that my print job must be off because the color "midnight" looks very purple in my catalog (skort on p.5)...and it's a dark blue?

sooo...WARNING!!! LOL!!

There isn't much in Crimson, but it looks consistently HOT:

cn4517500.jpg

And looking at Parachute (purple) online...it's so questionable. It's make me question what to rely on for color interpretation, you know? Not sure how helpful this is...:o

Thanks for the suggestions, Anita. I do have the catalog and the colors do look different. Of course, they do:mad:

It seems to look to my eye that the "parachute" might be more ICE?? The blues, I just can't decide. One time I think each of them look like FIRE and the next time I think they look like ICE :confused:

I found another color that I'm wondering about--it's called "Cayenne". It looks bright orangy/red to my eye--at least online. FIRE????

The FIRE aquas are some of my most favoritist colors. I would love to find something from Athleta in that. I've always been pleased with my Athleta orders and their customer service!

Anita is so smart with these boards. How did she quote a post Kim put on another thread?!?

Anyway, I looked at the Athleta site. The blue that I bought was called Wave Blue. If you put Wave Blue into the search box at the Athleta site, (wow) it's amazing the different colors of blue that appear. I didn't go to each picture and do a quick look to see if maybe they were showing another blue color (which I should probably have done). Anyway, Wave Blue is a very aqua blue; bright, and clear color. Very pretty. I would say that the closest current color to it might be the Tide Blue, that they're showing.

And Garden Green was the green that worked.

The Cayenne is also a color that I've been wondering about; the Crimson definitely looks like it would work!

I just received an internet purchase from Cache. Two dresses. Coral. Blue. They don't have any more descriptive adjectives than that! Anyway, I can't tell about the Blue, so I'm going to have to take a picture and see if I turn gray, or not. I'm not going to take a "glamour" shot; I'm just going to pull my hair back and have my DH take a picture of me in the dress. I figure that will tell the whole story on whether or not the dress is workable. If it is, then I'll try to get a good enough picture to post on here so everyone can chime in with accessory ideas. It's a one-shoulder dress that I would consider for formal night in the MDR.

I'm going to call today for a hair appointment! I'm trying to stretch out my $$$, so I didn't want to get two (!!) appointments before our cruise. That's why I am so icked out about my hair right now! Stuff and bother... hair maintenance costs a pretty penny when you start adding color and highlights to the salon visits! :p

My Athleta order arrived!! I got the new size 10 Tall in that All Terrain Skirt in the colors Cargo and Khakina. Khakina is an EXCELLENT Fire neutral IMO. It's a current color and there are a lot of different bottoms available in this color.

Mom left her formal dresses with me at Christmas to make packing easier next month for the cruise. So I grabbed that Granny Apple Green and Hot Coral and took a picture with Khakina for ya'll to see. The flash flashed and the natural light in the room is from a north facing window, so the overall photo looks cool, but hopefully you can see that Khakina holds up well to the colors:

001.jpg

If anyone is familiar (Mom ;)) with the color "Sand" from Cache...Khakina isn't quite as golden as that color. Khakina almost perfectly matches the color of the cardboard toilet paper roll. :p

I think it looks great. I can tell you that Cargo DOESN'T. I tested it to see if ya'll could wear it as a more olive kind of neutral and your clear brights turn Cargo into a nasty, muddy color...so avoid Cargo. But put Khakina on your HIT list and get some.

edited to add:

LOOK at all the Khakina! It the link works!

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/search.do?searchText=khakina&submit.x=23&submit.y=5

Edited by Anita Latte

HI, I know I don't post here often, but I just got back from the Mall. NY & Co has tons of things in fire colors and they are on sale. I just got 2 beautiful spring coats, green and yellow and a coral dress for a great price

Thanks for the info, Jenny :) Have any pictures, we LOVE pictures!

Hi, Jenny! It's been quite a while since we've heard from you. So good to see you joining with us here.

Pictures. You know, Kim, I'm having quite a bit of difficulty taking pictures right now because the light conditions are just plain weird. Anita and I discussed this and we've come to the conclusion that the light right now is just... well... cool. It has significant cool elements in it because the paint color on my walls just isn't photographing with the right tonal quality, at all.

I tried to take pictures of a blue dress from Cache in order to make a determination as to whether the dress is a "keeper," or not... it's a beautiful dress and appropriate for formal night in the MDR. I can't tell in the pictures whether the blue is warm or cool. So I took a control picture of a coral dress that there is no doubt in my mind is warm and clear and bright. The two dresses... blue and coral... make my skin look the same. The camera eye seems to tone down the coral and brighten up the blue. It's pretty weird. I hope that I'm not making a mistake in keeping this blue dress because it's on the high side, price wise.

Anyway.

Frustrating.

I tried to take pictures of a blue dress from Cache in order to make a determination as to whether the dress is a "keeper," or not... it's a beautiful dress and appropriate for formal night in the MDR. I can't tell in the pictures whether the blue is warm or cool. So I took a control picture of a coral dress that there is no doubt in my mind is warm and clear and bright. The two dresses... blue and coral... make my skin look the same. The camera eye seems to tone down the coral and brighten up the blue. It's pretty weird. I hope that I'm not making a mistake in keeping this blue dress because it's on the high side, price wise.

Anyway.

Frustrating.

Hi Pam,

It is frustrating. Wouldn't it just be groovy if stores, instead of putting a color name on tags, just put FIRE/Spring, ICE/Winter, etc.... Certainly would make shopping for seasonal colors easier. I think I'll hold my breath and wait on manufacturers to do that :D

I certainly hope that you and Anita will do a pictodiary on your cruise. That would be a lot of fun for all of the rest of us to see :) I'll bet you are both so excited, I'm excited for you!

Any opinions on the rash guards I posted above? I'm trying to find one that is a little different and still in FIRE colors.

When things are posted about light conditions, I still go back and remember what CJW posted about having a control in the picture too. Would you post a picture of one of your questionables and put either the color cards or a known FIRE color in the same picture. I would be curious to see what the comparison would look like.

Kim,

You know what?!? :eek:

You're right! I think that I really, really want to have this dress so I'm on the verge of just accepting it... color perfect or not! But just because it is on the price-high side of things, I do need to take the time and do the research and make absolutely sure. I only have 14 days to return it... and I've already burned about 5 of them... so I need to get ON IT! I will analyze it more fully this weekend and post some pictures.

OH! I cannot even begin to imagine that you have a straight body type! Seriously? Are you sure? And I mean that in the most affectionate way possible. There is just no way that you are a column-type figure; you are boob-a-licious!

How can that be possible? Do that measurement calculator thingy again! :D

Except that.... hmmm... Anita is a straight body type; and I thought she would be curvy instead as well. Whatever curvy body types are called. I am definitely a straight body type... well, right now I am in a spoon shape, but that's just because I need to lose 1/2-inch on my waist. Because my waist is a little bit bigger, it skews the lower body silhouette. But, I think that in just a short time frame (because of Zumba and I can sort of "feel" a change going on in my body), I think that I'll be straight. I was straight when I was younger.... for sure. Kind of a stick, actually. Always jealous of the boob-a-licious girls.

Boy, that is a hard call.

The first site: reefgear. I took a long look there and I think that maybe Cyan might work? But, it's kind of funky, the colors that they put with it. All the other colors seem to be more cool than warm; except maybe, maybe the green. But, again, they put a white pattern on the green and what looks like a lime pattern on the green, so idk.

The tugasunwear, a possibility. It looks like the body of the top is clear, bright and the sleeves are muted. But, it looks like the color could definitely be warm.

The dogfunk. Maybe the best option. Maybe. I tried to zoom in and take a look at the REEF and it looks like it's a muted gold color... on my screen. Again, to my eye, maybe the best option.

But, also... again... a hard call. Are you going to order? If you do, I would definitely be interested in how the color(s) turn out as it's something (a rashguard) that I need to think about.

What are you shopping for? Are you going on a warmer cruise type vacation before you go to Africa? Please remind me: when is the African trip?

Boy, that is a hard call.

The first site: reefgear. I took a long look there and I think that maybe Cyan might work? But, it's kind of funky, the colors that they put with it. All the other colors seem to be more cool than warm; except maybe, maybe the green. But, again, they put a white pattern on the green and what looks like a lime pattern on the green, so idk.

The tugasunwear, a possibility. It looks like the body of the top is clear, bright and the sleeves are muted. But, it looks like the color could definitely be warm.

The dogfunk. Maybe the best option. Maybe. I tried to zoom in and take a look at the REEF and it looks like it's a muted gold color... on my screen. Again, to my eye, maybe the best option.

But, also... again... a hard call. Are you going to order? If you do, I would definitely be interested in how the color(s) turn out as it's something (a rashguard) that I need to think about.

What are you shopping for? Are you going on a warmer cruise type vacation before you go to Africa? Please remind me: when is the African trip?

I thought about this one too. The flowers look like they could be warmish. I'm not convinced on the yellow main color though.

dak_8575-115-09s_ylw_1.jpg

We're going to Cozumel to dive for a week in May--celebrating our 35th anniversary. It's a splurge for us but, we're going to do it. I found a very good deal and we can eat and play so cheaply in Cozumel. It's one of our favorite places to go. We just stay away from the tourists if we can.

We're going to Africa in February 2013, so a year from now. Can't believe we're actually going to Africa. A lifelong dream!

Kim,

You know what?!? :eek:

You're right! I think that I really, really want to have this dress so I'm on the verge of just accepting it... color perfect or not! But just because it is on the price-high side of things, I do need to take the time and do the research and make absolutely sure. I only have 14 days to return it... and I've already burned about 5 of them... so I need to get ON IT! I will analyze it more fully this weekend and post some pictures.

Post some pics, we'll give an opinion--it may not hold much weight but, we'll give ir anyway ;)

OH! I cannot even begin to imagine that you have a straight body type! Seriously? Are you sure? And I mean that in the most affectionate way possible. There is just no way that you are a column-type figure; you are boob-a-licious!

How can that be possible? Do that measurement calculator thingy again! :D

Except that.... hmmm... Anita is a straight body type; and I thought she would be curvy instead as well. Whatever curvy body types are called. I am definitely a straight body type... well, right now I am in a spoon shape, but that's just because I need to lose 1/2-inch on my waist. Because my waist is a little bit bigger, it skews the lower body silhouette. But, I think that in just a short time frame (because of Zumba and I can sort of "feel" a change going on in my body), I think that I'll be straight. I was straight when I was younger.... for sure. Kind of a stick, actually. Always jealous of the boob-a-licious girls.

I was kinda surprised too. I'll retake the measurements and replug them and see what I get. I love your "boob-a-licious" word. Too funny!

OK, I just retook my measurements and if I vary the waist 1/2" and the hips 1/2" I come out a Pear shape. I could see that more than a Straight shape. My bust measurement comes out the same all of the time but, my waist and hips can vary depending how tight or loose I hold the tape measure.

I even did it once and it came out as "body type unavailable" :eek:

Oh my, gals, I did something really big for me-----I got my hair colored Today :eek:

My hair has always been my security blanket. people always comment on the color and curl of my hair. it's always been a feel good thing for me that I've never colored it. I've always loved the reddish blonde color. Well, the guy that has cut my hair for the last 20+ years always said that if my hair color got too gray or mousey he would let me know. A couple of months ago when he cut it he said, "I think it's time you consider coloring your hair. the gray is affecting your natural color. He uses Redken "shades" coloring. I asked him what color he would suggest (to test his knowledge of my seasonal color) and he said right off the bat he would use 2 colors and they would be vanilla creme and golden apricot.

He didn't know about my color book from CJW that had the "good for FIRE Redken shades" in it. Both shades were in my FIRE color book and I felt better.

This will sound silly but, I was pretty nervous to do the coloring. I know it's not life and death but, for me, it was a change that means I am aging and needed artificial intervention:o

My DH and DS both like it. I think it looks a little dark but, it does look almost just like my hair did about 8 years ago from a picture I pulled out of my billfold.

So, now when we do our color parties, we will have to take into account my new hair color!

Oh my, gals, I did something really big for me-----I got my hair colored Today :eek:

He uses Redken "shades" coloring. I asked him what color he would suggest (to test his knowledge of my seasonal color) and he said right off the bat he would use 2 colors and they would be vanilla creme and golden apricot.

He didn't know about my color book from CJW that had the "good for FIRE Redken shades" in it. Both shades were in my FIRE color book and I felt better.

So, now when we do our color parties, we will have to take into account my new hair color!

WOO HOO!!!

(I'm sure CJW took your "proper" hair color into consideration when "Seasoning you" LOL!)

Don't worry about the darkness. Unfortunately, warm shades (at least reddish ones) seem to fade pretty quickly -- for better or worse!

Congrats on taking that advice from a trusted & obviously knowledgeable source.

Jane

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures!!!!

Ooooo...so exciting!!!

Having color in your hair IS scary. I used to be rather proud of the fact that I had "virgin" hair (that's what the hairdresser called it since I'd never had coloring or perms before). Getting the highlights I had was fun though! I'm excited to see you new do!

WOO HOO!!!

(I'm sure CJW took your "proper" hair color into consideration when "Seasoning you" LOL!)

Don't worry about the darkness. Unfortunately, warm shades (at least reddish ones) seem to fade pretty quickly -- for better or worse!

Congrats on taking that advice from a trusted & obviously knowledgeable source.

Jane

Thanks, Jane.

I had heard that red fades a bit quicker. I'm anxious to wash my hair tomorrow and see if there's any difference. Sometimes I think we get so used to seeing ourselves in the mirror and changes can happen so gradually, that we don't really see ourselves the way others do.

Anita and Debbie,

I'll get up the nerve to post a picture soon. I'm still getting used to seeing myself in the mirror. I guess I hadn't realized how gray I had gotten. I remember when we first started posting our color group pics a while ago. I took some pics and thought that the lighting was off because my hair looked so light and not as reddish as in my mind's eye. Now, looking back, I think it's because the gray really has changed and lightened my hair so much. In my mind's eye I was still the reddish blonde I had been for years.

When I was at the salon yesterday, a woman sitting next to me said what beautiful hair I had and she loved the color. I then told her I was getting it colored for the first time and she looked surprised. I then took out the picture I had in my billfold of about 8 years ago and she said, oh, your hair has lightened quite a bit. After the color was on and she saw me leaving, she said how nice it looked and that it was even more beautiful. I thought, how kind of her to say that :)

I'll try and find a post-able pic of my hair from 10-15 years ago along with the new pic. It may be interesting.

Edited by Joby

Anita and Debbie,

I'll get up the nerve to post a picture soon. I'm still getting used to seeing myself in the mirror. I guess I hadn't realized how gray I had gotten. I remember when we first started posting our color group pics a while ago. I took some pics and thought that the lighting was off because my hair looked so light and not as reddish as in my mind's eye. Now, looking back, I think it's because the gray really has changed and lightened my hair so much. In my mind's eye I was still the reddish blonde I had been for years.

I'm very interested to see your results and how you feel about your new color, Kim. I'm on the fence about coloring my hair, but think I'll really need to do something to cover my gray soon. I have a friend that has a head of the most gorgeous gray hair, but I'm not sure I can do that.

My hair was highlighted several years ago, but I couldn't let it grow out without feeling like I needed to re-highlight it....often. I had it touched up so often that I soon looked more blonde than brown. That's when I began to color my hair. I colored it myself. The brown shade was nearly a perfect match but would turn reddish and I liked that ok, but when the regrowth showed up, I'd recolor to obtain my dark brown color and the process would start over again. I swore that if I ever was able to grow everything to my natural color that I wouldn't EVER color it again.

Now, my grays are highlighting my dark brown more and more every day and I can't decide if it would be better to bite the bullet or wait a while longer. Like you, I've told DD and my hairdresser to let me know when it's time. Whether now or later, I'd like to be ready, knowing exactly what I want to try (natural looking)--and I don't want to wait until there is a remarkable difference. With my dark hair, I also know that I don't want to go too dark--wrinkles are appearing nearly as fast as my gray hair and will be more prominent if I do. I have my CJW color cards that shows our FIRE Redken colors, but CJW never offered what my best hair colors would be. His daughter was born right after I was "diagnosed" and since he'd told me I was FIRE and I wasn't concerned with haircolor at the time, I didn't bother to inquire.

I remember a precious 80+ years young lady in our church. Her hair was dark brown--as dark or DARKER than mine. It was not a good look. To avoid that situation, I'm gathering information as it becomes available. Yeah, it's the over-planner in me, I know. --Debbie