Stores that carry "FIRE" season clothing

Joby

The only comment I am going to make at this time is this...

You can TOTALLY tell when Mom wears EARTH!! LOL!! She looks positively GRAY! Even the BACKGROUND looks GRAY...unfortunately, that shirt will be a little tight...BUT fortunately, I'm still losing weight...and I could use more long sleeved shirts...I have 4?

B2 is MINE!!

I have to go see what it looked like in the color party...

OK...I can totally see it in the color party now...it's because the background color is EARTH but all that pattern on the shirt isn't really...the pattern is bright and the white is throwing off the color party...especially since you folded the shirt that way. If you were to retake that photo with only the background showing...it would be a very different picture.

OOOooooo goodie...more new clothes!!

OK...I can totally see it in the color party now...it's because the background color is EARTH but all that pattern on the shirt isn't really...the pattern is bright and the white is throwing off the color party...especially since you folded the shirt that way. If you were to retake that photo with only the background showing...it would be a very different picture.

OOOooooo goodie...more new clothes!!

You know, though.... we'll have to see. Because I'm wondering if the background will hold up for you or if the pattern will throw shadow that won't do you any favors. So this lovely top might just be one of those that doesn't "hit" with anyone. If there's room in my suitcase, I'll bring it at Thanksgiving and we'll put the theory to the test.

Debbie, the only thing that I can tell you about the "seasons" identification request is that... it's difficult. If you think about the spectrum of color.. using green as our example, where we achieve green by mixing blue & yellow. You could make the case that if you mixed a cool yellow and a cool blue.. that... even though you are seeing a yellow-green.. you might be seeing a cool yellow-green. So even though the yellow-green is USUALLY a warm green, there might be times when it's not.

What we do know, because of the pictures that I took when we were discussing where to err.. as in, would it be better to wear warm, muted vs cool, bright... in other words, as a FIRE, is it worse to dress in EARTH or in ICE. At least with my pictures, and I believe in an earlier post you said that you noticed the same thing for you (which reminds me: Kim, we need a post from you in an EARTH color!)... well, it appears that dressing in EARTH is very, very detrimental to having a healthy glow... at least for me. I can't fathom why... but it simply washes me out to the point where I, literally, look gray... as Anita said. It's obvious that B2 has a distinctly different background than all the other pictures... taken at the same location in the house, within minutes of each other. So, I'm with Anita in thinking that B2 has to make an exit from my closet. :( And there's a possibility that it will inhabit her closet: because I believe it is EARTH since my skin tone appears gray in the picture.

Edited by Member123

I think maybe my vote should count as only 1/2--because I know some but, not enough to really say with tons of confidence sooooo....

My votes are cast as:

FAVORITES (in order best to less best)

B1--overall for skin, hair and eyes--just glowing and lovely

B3--overall again

A2--

C1--your eyes are just so pretty in this photo

MISS (IN ORDER FROM LEAST FAVORITE)

B2--the whole photo seems off. It looks dull and gray

A4--overall dulling, maybe overpowering?

C2--I know this is what CJW did your analysis in but, I just don't see it fitting in with the color party. Why am I missing this?

Pam, no worries on the beauty of the photo. Dear Lord, look at what I posted :eek: They really aren't as bad as you think. I think most everyone is more self critical than others see us. Just think how much we are learning and the fun of doing it all together! We also have the newly fashioned EARTH goddess, Miss Anita, all hot and svelte :D

Let's all make a pact that, we will see these lessons through to the end and come out feeling and looking like a bunch of educated hot chicks! Deal????

Wow! It's been ages since I've been to these threads and I see I've missed soooo much! I've spent the last few days trying to catch up. And now my head is really spinning!

Got my hair colored and a new "do" so I feel much better about myself ~ thanks to CJW. I'm still having trouble with my fire colors and it's been a year already since I was "diagnosed". I have tossed most of my black and tried to replace it with my colors. I am having to start all over as I have lost some weight ~ need to lose a whole bunch more ~ so I'm trying to limit what I purchase right now.

If y'all don't mind I'd like to join you with the "virtual pj color party". I've been thinking of pulling everything out and taking photos for some time now, especially since I'm buying new clothes anyway. So maybe I can get some help with my hits and many misses. I'm beginning to think I may be color blind..( my eyes are so used to muted colors)

Anita ~ You rock!!!! I love your new avatar!

To all of you ~ I'm in awe of you. You are so brave to post all these photos and I'm sure many who come to this thread are benefiting from it as much as I am. Keep up the good work!

Hi Linda,

YEA--another attendee at the slumber party!!! As everyone has already said, we're doing lots of work, getting over some fears, we're having a lot of fun, learning so much and just a fun group.

Welcome :) and post away.

Anita told me that she can tell by the expression on my face that I'm getting... bored... frustrated... with the whole thing! The "smile pretty" part was getting harder to do! Funny... Anita could tell me which picture I took first and which picture I took last!

That is too funny, Pam. This is even more fun having a Mother/Daughter duo!

It's difficult for me to form an opinion otherwise on the rest of these photos...I've seen you in these clothes in person!!

I think your A3 is the equivalent of my A1...it blends all into your coloring...skin, hair...my guess is that it would be hard to take a bad photo of you in the color. For me that ends up being kind of a fun color...because it ends up like a neutral...making other colors pop. It doesn't go with everything...but what it does go with (plum and red for me...) look really great...and it's nice to figure out a different color that can act like a neutral.

Your C1 is like my C1...both are on the blue side of green...which offers a kind of contrast to our coloring more than a blend...but it is definitely complementary...and thus makes the eyes pop...I totally agree with Kim about how lovely your eyes look in this photo.

I understand how Debbie picks B4 for a fav...it's a great picture of you! The lighting is good...your smile is good. ;) It is after all the first picture you took...and the freshness shows!

And I understand how Debbie sees B3 next to it...and questions it...because it was one of the last pictures you took...and there's a horrible glare coming from the left on that photo...I can see the corner of the wall...which I can't see in any photo...so I know that you entering into the light in the entry and there is something that about the light in the entry way...and despite the "I am so sick of this" look on your face...I agree with Kim that your skin tone is good, overall...

I think A2 is my favorite...I like that yellow green on you a lot.

I don't know what's going on in A4? I can tell from the thermostat that the angle is different...I don't know if that is what is causing the background to change? This one doesn't look as good...but I don't know if it's the picture quality that is affecting it?

And C2 for me too...not as good...

Did I offer anything constructive?

So...A2 is my fav.

I don't much care for A4 or C2 by COMPARISON...not that I think they are necessarily misses...

And I really like all the other ones. :D

Except for the obvious...B2...which will be interesting to see in a picture on me...you are right...the pattern may not work...we'll see...I do think you have a great smile in B2!

OMG.

This is too funny! :D

The pictures that I absolutely hated, are listed as up there in the top for you ladies. The pictures that I thought were better... you don't like! Weird.

I just took a quick look. I'll have to think about this tomorrow and see if I can see what you see... and I'll tell you my favs and my not so favs! And we can talk some more.

In the meantime, thank you for your opinions. Good grief. Of course, Kim! We will see this project through... and I think that we'll learn a whole bunch by doing this. Especially to get an understanding of what others see... and how critical we may be on ourselves. Interesting stuff.

Good morning, ladies!

Today's a great day for me. I will look at the opinions that have been expressed (ahem... missing one that should be coming in soon?)... and maybe I'll take some substitute pictures in different light conditions to see if opinions change.

I have wondered about A4. That is an athletic shirt, compression fit. I just wear it to exercise, so I'm not as concerned about whether it's a true FIRE. Part of me thinks that it might be more ICE... just because it seems to have that flourescent, neon type of light to it rather than just a clear tonal quality. It might be more lime than granny smith...

Now that the pictures have been posted and I'm over the horror of the whole thing... B2 is cracking me up! How bizarre that my skin does that with EARTH colors! Does anyone else's skin do that?!? :eek:

I think that I'm having a reaction to a dpt-booster shot that I got on Tuesday! Good grief; doctor wanted to boost because of my travels. Wow, I have a sore spot on my arm the size of a walnut; I can barely lift my arm higher than my ear lobes... and today I have a pounding headache! Those poor babies... with their series of shots... I'm in total sympathy with them today. Doctor told me that I might be sore for a few days! Next time, I'll get a defintion of "sore."

Oooo, oooo, I need to interrupt for just a sec. Just discovered Chicos is having a special sale online today and I may need to make a purchase. Can somebody tell me if Pollen is a FIRE or EARTH color?

I glanced through the last few entries, and I'll be back this afternoon to catch up, I promise. In the meantime, Pollen -- yes or no? Thanks, Debbie

Ok here is my take on Pam according to my screen here at work. In order of "my" preference.

A2, B1, A3, A1, B3, C1, C2, B4, A4 and no to B2

I love A2 -that hue/shade/color makes you pop- you have a "glow"

I'm looking at what happens with the background in some of your photos as well. A4 and B4 are a little on the cool side. Might just be my monitor though. B2 washes you out something fierce.

Is A1 the infamous green dress?

This is really tough isn't it? Now, tell me how wrong I am! LOL

Oooo, oooo, I need to interrupt for just a sec. Just discovered Chicos is having a special sale online today and I may need to make a purchase. Can somebody tell me if Pollen is a FIRE or EARTH color?

I glanced through the last few entries, and I'll be back this afternoon to catch up, I promise. In the meantime, Pollen -- yes or no? Thanks, Debbie

Wish I could help you, but there isn't a Chico within 50 miles of me. It looks like it might work according to my monitor here at work. But it may be a little washed out and not the bright warm we want.... But what do I know..:D

Good morning, ladies!

Today's a great day for me. I will look at the opinions that have been expressed (ahem... missing one that should be coming in soon?)... and maybe I'll take some substitute pictures in different light conditions to see if opinions change.

I have wondered about A4. That is an athletic shirt, compression fit. I just wear it to exercise, so I'm not as concerned about whether it's a true FIRE. Part of me thinks that it might be more ICE... just because it seems to have that flourescent, neon type of light to it rather than just a clear tonal quality. It might be more lime than granny smith...

Now that the pictures have been posted and I'm over the horror of the whole thing... B2 is cracking me up! How bizarre that my skin does that with EARTH colors! Does anyone else's skin do that?!? :eek:

I think that I'm having a reaction to a dpt-booster shot that I got on Tuesday! Good grief; doctor wanted to boost because of my travels. Wow, I have a sore spot on my arm the size of a walnut; I can barely lift my arm higher than my ear lobes... and today I have a pounding headache! Those poor babies... with their series of shots... I'm in total sympathy with them today. Doctor told me that I might be sore for a few days! Next time, I'll get a defintion of "sore."

I'm sorry to hear that you have a bum arm! DH and I have to get a DPT booster also in the next year or so. Not looking forward to that. Although, we had to get Hepatitis shots for our trip to Cost Rica 1 1/2 years ago and they are supposed to hurt like mad but, we got off scott free. Luck of the draw I guess. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Love to see the new photos. I wonder how many of our tops are going to go into the "play clothes" pile????

http://www.chicos.com/Product_Images/570026273_758.jpg

This model looks more like an EARTH to me, she seems darker than most of us. Just an uneducated guess here but I think it may be EARTH and not FIRE :confused: I'll be anxious to hear others comments.

Thanks, Ladies, for telling why you voted how you voted. Once it's explained, I can see it. I bargain with myself and either try to make every picture be a good choice or I imagine that every picture is a poor choice. I'm doing the same thing shopping these days. I did the same thing trying to decide if Pollen was a FIRE color. I honestly think it is an EARTH color, but was afraid it could be considered a light clear gold.

Well, Anita, it's good that I can pick out something about Pam's pictures! Even if I didn't know what I was picking. LOL

Kim, you thought you weren't very good at this, but you are making very astute observations and know why you choose one over another. Your choices in your green color party show that you're doing at good job too. Keep up the good work.

Pam, will you give us your thoughts on what you see about your pictures and why? You said your favorites weren't picked as others had them listed.

Linda, I'm still in the process of getting my internet connection at home to cooperate. Would you be comfortable posting your green color party next?

How is everyone viewing the pictures to make their decision? I know Pam mentioned the Paint program and that Anita uses a different program. I've mentioned this so many times that I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing it, but I'm viewing the pictures on my phone and typing replies on my desktop. I've been looking at the pictures as they appear on the screen in the cruisecritic thread. Is there another way to view them so that I can see them in more detail? I'm grasping at straws here, Ladies, and sure that you are sick of hearing this too, but I....can't....figure....this....out. I'm not usually this dense about things, I promise ;-)

--Debbie

Hi, Ladies,

So, I decided that I wanted to go to Chico's today, for two reasons: I wanted to do a bit of sleuthing to find out what would happen to my skin tone, under Chico's fluorescent lights, in my B2 top. And, I wanted to try to locate the Pollen color that Debbie is questioning. I looked it up on the website, and I couldn't tell what season that top might end up in. If you look at the accessories that they've put with the Pollen top, they've used: silver, pewter, brass... ???... doesn't make any sense and doesn't help to nail down the Pollen as a color.

Hey, it is darned difficult to take a self-portrait! Hats off to all you ladies who manage to take great pictures by holding up the camera and shooting! I didn't have a mirror in the Chico's dressing room, so I did a bit of free-wheeling, winging it. I thought that the most important thing I wanted to see was the effect that the flourescent lights had in determining whether a color was workable.

So, here you go!

In a dressing room. Under fluorescent lights. B2 and Pollen.

P1060292-1.jpgP1060282.jpg

So, what does this say to you guys? To me it says that you can't trust store lighting! Fluorescent lighting changes things dramatically and drastically... don't you find this bewildering? I was so blown away that I came home and took another gray picture inside the house! I tried to take a picture outside but I didn't get anywhere because the sun was too harsh; it was a bit like Kim's earlier pictures.

Opinions? Comments? Thoughts?

Just for ducks, I searched through my cruise pictures and found a picture of me wearing B2, on the outside deck of the ship. DH found me doing a fast walk before dessert! or drinkies! or something else indulgent, I'm sure! But, this would give us the best natural light situation, don't you think?

So, a side-by-side comparison of interior light and natural light: B2

P1040188.jpg019.jpg

Conclusion: OMG, Anita you are SO getting this top! IF it works for you. So, this set of pictures... to my eye... absolutely washes me out.

But, the fluorescent lights... well, they are what made me buy the top in the first place!

Again, thoughts? comments? opinions?

Wow. I wish we had a known FIRE color for comparison. The store lighting is very interesting. You know how they say that candlelight makes everyone look good? I wonder if there is something similar going on that is a kind of leveling of the playing field for color that happens with the store lighting. The green shirt doesn't look bad. Neither does Pollen.

Which makes me wonder if I should get some Pollen? LOL! Yellow is one color that I have successfully found at Chico's in the past.

Hi, Ladies,

So, I decided that I wanted to go to Chico's today, for two reasons: I wanted to do a bit of sleuthing to find out what would happen to my skin tone, under Chico's fluorescent lights, in my B2 top. And, I wanted to try to locate the Pollen color that Debbie is questioning. I looked it up on the website, and I couldn't tell what season that top might end up in. If you look at the accessories that they've put with the Pollen top, they've used: silver, pewter, brass... ???... doesn't make any sense and doesn't help to nail down the Pollen as a color.

Hey, it is darned difficult to take a self-portrait! Hats off to all you ladies who manage to take great pictures by holding up the camera and shooting! I didn't have a mirror in the Chico's dressing room, so I did a bit of free-wheeling, winging it. I thought that the most important thing I wanted to see was the effect that the flourescent lights had in determining whether a color was workable.

So, here you go!

In a dressing room. Under fluorescent lights. B2 and Pollen.

P1060292-1.jpgP1060282.jpg

So, what does this say to you guys? To me it says that you can't trust store lighting! Fluorescent lighting changes things dramatically and drastically... don't you find this bewildering? I was so blown away that I came home and took another gray picture inside the house! I tried to take a picture outside but I didn't get anywhere because the sun was too harsh; it was a bit like Kim's earlier pictures.

Opinions? Comments? Thoughts?

Just for ducks, I searched through my cruise pictures and found a picture of me wearing B2, on the outside deck of the ship. DH found me doing a fast walk before dessert! or drinkies! or something else indulgent, I'm sure! But, this would give us the best natural light situation, don't you think?

So, a side-by-side comparison of interior light and natural light: B2

P1040188.jpg019.jpg

Conclusion: OMG, Anita you are SO getting this top! IF it works for you. So, this set of pictures... to my eye... absolutely washes me out.

But, the fluorescent lights... well, they are what made me buy the top in the first place!

Again, thoughts? comments? opinions?

Hi Pam,

It is definitely hard to do self pictures. It takes too much thought and coordination!

Now, here are my thoughts on the pollen shirt and the B2 shirt. If I had to choose I would pick the pollen over B2 BUT, I'm not sure either is a true FIRE. I was also thinking about B2 (maybe, sorta) being an ICE. It has white and that navy blue color too that ICE can wear. What does the top look like on your DH???? He's a for sure ICE.

The 2 pics of B2--my thoughts are--the shirt looks almost the same (maybe just a little lighter and brighter outdoors) in either lighting (indoor and outdoor) to my eye AND your skin looks similar in both except a little more concentrated and colored outdoors. But, I think both the pics have a graying effect on your skin, it's just that outdoors you have a bit more color but it still looks similar to the indoor pic. Am I making any sense at all? I know what I'm thinking in my head but, I'm not sure I'm expressing it as clearly as Anita or you do when typing it.

What is everyone else thinking????

Kim,

I think I confused you a little bit. There are three light conditions that we're viewing in these pictures: 1 - inside in natural light; i.e, no supplemental lighting in the house; 2 - outside in natural light; 3- inside a Chico's dressing room. Unfortunately, I didn't do this in such a way that we can talk using Anita's bingo shorthand. Didn't think ahead on that.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that B2 is good on me! I don't think it is. No, it's not ICE. It's a warm, muted green. Looking at the shirt IRL, I can question my motives in buying the shirt at all.

But, my point with the Chico's dressing room picture is that I don't think the shirt looks the same on me in the dressing room as IRL. Anita wanted a "control" picture in a top that is definitely, truly FIRE. Well, I'm positive that the red top I wore today is postively, definitely FIRE. So, I took my little self right back to the same dressing room and took another picture today.

Here's the collage for that:

P1040188-1.jpg

A-1 Chico's dressing room

A-2 Natural light

A-3 Chico's dressing room

A-4 Natural light

If I look totally bewildered in A-1, I am! I can't figure out the holding of the camera for a self-portrait... it's baffling... LOL.

But, check out the colors of the tops. OMG. A-1 looks orange and I promise you that A-2 is the top's IRL color. A-3 brings up brightness in the top that simply isn't there. A-4 is more like the shirt IRL.

Also, keep in mind in A-2 that I'm (a) hot and (b) flushed with a little bit of champagne! In A-4, I have been exercising (well, walking at a brisk pace) and I'm also a little warm. These pictures are meant more to show the colors of the top than maybe being the best for my skin tone.

More importantly, I can't tell a bit of difference between my skin tone in A-1 over A-3! So, how in heck are we supposed to "see" if the colors are in our palette in these dressing room conditions?!?

I'm perplexed. And my confidence in being able to shop appropriately has been absolutely shaken. Help me out, ladies, because I think I need a support group in all of this.

Kim, thank you for asking about my arm. Apparently, I just had a reaction to the booster shot that isn't uncommon. I have a hot rash that I'm supposed to be icing down. At least the lack of mobility has become less and I can raise my arm above my head with just a slight twinge. Wow. What a surprise! Good luck to you next year! The price of being a world traveler... but worth it!

Meanwhile... back to my color "whine." I feel very insecure!:confused:

Hi Pam,

It is definitely hard to do self pictures. It takes too much thought and coordination!

The 2 pics of B2--my thoughts are--the shirt looks almost the same (maybe just a little lighter and brighter outdoors) in either lighting (indoor and outdoor) to my eye AND your skin looks similar in both except a little more concentrated and colored outdoors. But, I think both the pics have a graying effect on your skin, it's just that outdoors you have a bit more color but it still looks similar to the indoor pic. Am I making any sense at all? I know what I'm thinking in my head but, I'm not sure I'm expressing it as clearly as Anita or you do when typing it.

What is everyone else thinking????

Exactly! The pics of B2 taken at home inside in natural light and outside in natural light show the top looking almost identical. Therefore, I'm convinced that B2 is EARTH. However, the Chico's dressing room picture just brightens up the top and makes my skin look way better in it than IRL. :confused:

At this point, I'm feeling like I can't trust dressing rooms for anything except fit and style... not color appropriateness. How am I supposed to shop? :confused:

Kim: I am a fire and have been reading along and enjoying everyones great fire posts. I have to tell you that the picture of you in the green top, A4 with the shorter hair looks fabulous. That hair style makes you look like Anita's sister, not her mother. Love that hair on you.:)

Deana

OK. This is for Jubie...I can't remember her real name right now...but IIRC, she will get a total kick out the following explanation.

We see an object as having color because the object is absorbing all the waves of the color spectrum EXCEPT the waves that represent the color we see the object as. A red object will reflect the red wave lengths, a green object will reflect the green wave lengths, and so on and so forth. Please note...in order for us to accurately see the color of the object, the light in which we are viewing the object MUST have the objects color's wave lengths.

Say what?

OK. Can we all agree that normal incandescent light bulbs are really yellow. Try to take a picture in that light and EVERYTHING looks more yellow. White looks yellow. It's nearly impossible to distinguish one blue from another in incandescent lighting because there is very little blue light that is generated by an incandescent bulb.

And so we get the product "Reveal" that is supposed to offer a better representation of the actual color of an object. Reveal bulbs are blue bulbs. The light shines through the blue colored glass and thus, we are supposed to be able to see objects more like they really are.

Daylight has all the different color wave lengths. HOWEVER...shade does something to daylight that makes it more BLUE. Don't ask me how. It just does. It relates to why the sky looks blue. SO...if you take a picture in the shade, there will be a BLUE cast to the picture...because there is more blue in the lighting. Cloudy day? Same effect.

If you look at the outside pictures of Mom...you can see that they look more bluish. The white cruise ship is a decidedly blue white. Mom's red shirt might even look to be more of a blue red than the orange red that it truly is.

I think we all have experience how GREEN fluorescent lighting is. And to compound the injury to color representation, there is a lack of red wave lengths in fluorescent lighting. If blue is the problem for incandescent light bulbs, red is the problem for fluorescent light bulbs. It is difficult to distinguish between ALL shades of red (including orange) in fluorescent lighting.

This explains why the green shirt is so enhanced. It's because there is a TON of green light available to be reflected off the shirt. And it explains why skin tone is so off under fluorescent lighting...no red wave lengths.

I was in Chico's earlier today. There was NO Pollen in the store. I was able to notice that there was a mix of fluorescent lighting and halogen lighting through the show room. The changing rooms have fluorescent lighting only...so perhaps this is why there are no mirrors in their changing rooms? They make you go out to find a mirror. It would be interesting to go back to the store and see what kind of lighting is around the mirror area.

Curt would say...this is why you need to have your color cards...so that you have a control when you are shopping.

This also explains why online shopping is so very difficult. FIRST, you have understand that the lighting for taking the picture has to be full spectrum lighting with a relative equal amount of the different color wave lengths in supply. Note that just because the full spectrum of light is offered, it doesn't mean that all the colors are offered in EQUAL amounts.

THEN, you have to believe that IF the lighting was not perfect, the photographer made adjustments to the WHITE balance in order for the colors to be represented properly. Yeah.

THEN, you have to have your own monitor properly calibrated for the lighting conditions where you view your monitor in order to know that what you are seeing on your own monitor is properly displaying what the photographer intended to display. Yeah.

And we wonder why the color we see online doesn't always match was it is IRL?

So, Anita, with your explanation of color and lighting, does that explain why my green pictures taken inside with incandescent lighting showed my tops so poorly?

I took pictures outside on Sunday, hoping to post them when I figure out my Internet issues. I pulled them up Microsoft Paint, trying to see if I could use Pam's pictures S a guide and weed through some of them myself. I wanted to show you all a much edited version, but reLized that even though I'd taken the pictures outside and the sky was overcast, I must have been standing too much in the shade also. I am almost certain that several of my tops are FIRE, but all my pictures look bad or worse.

I have tried several, several times to buy items in the store. The lighting is atrocious in nearly every store where I shop. I need to know what the lighting is at your Chicos, Pam. I want DH to install it all through our house. LOL. Glad to hear the arm is improving. --Deb