NCL Sweatshirts, etc.

Boolie

Thanks in advance for any helpful information. I have come to rely so much on all the wonderful advice on these boards. Y'all are simply WONDERFUL.

Does anyone know how I could purchase an NCL souvenir BEFORE our cruise? Specifically, I'm looking for some NCL sweatshirts. Or, can you only get such things on each particular ship? Sorry if this is a dumb question...but didn't see anything on the NCL site. Again, thanks for your help.

Marsha

I tried to get a t-shirt for the Gem before the cruise so I could wrap it up with the tickets for my son as part of his Christmas present. NCL's Home Office advised that the items are only sold on the ships as part of the Duty Free Shops Concept and cannot be sold via their website and they do not have access to these items. They were very nice, however, ultimately the answer was No, you can't get these items prior to sailing.

Even though your answers confirmed my suspicions, I really appreciate your input. At least CC has souvenirs/items available pre-cruise! I just thought, since we're sailing from NYC in December, it would be nice to have an NCL sweatshirt for embarkation. Guess I'll have to wait till we board...probably have to wait till after we sail, too, come to think of it. Gift shops probably don't open till then. Once more, THANKS TO ALL OF YOU.

Marsha

Although I will want to buy some souvenir t-shirts/mugs/caps the first day I'm on board, I'm going to wait until the last day of the cruise when things go on sale.

Does anyone know if its a standard sale each week? Certain t-shirts only? Discounts do/don't apply to everything in the gift shop? 50% off?

One possibility- check out a roll call for your ship sailing weeks/months prior to your sailing and see if anyone would be willing to purchase and send you the garment(s).

This would obviously require some trust on both sides, but I suspect there would be a willing volunteer.

Although I will want to buy some souvenir t-shirts/mugs/caps the first day I'm on board, I'm going to wait until the last day of the cruise when things go on sale.

Does anyone know if its a standard sale each week? Certain t-shirts only? Discounts do/don't apply to everything in the gift shop? 50% off?

Only certain t-shirts are available when they are on sale. Usually buy 2 get 1 free. 50% off? Never. Maybe 10-15% off if you're lucky. ;)

usually its your port ts with NCL on them and varies from sailing to sailing...ship to ship so dont count on the discounts or waiting as sometimes the last sea day they dont have much--just depends--my experience has been usually middle of the cruise for the t-shirt sail!

Since I like for us to wear matching ship tee shirts (or this year, sweatshirts, since we're sailing in colder weather) for our Welcome Aboard photos, I always make them myself! I use a graphics-type program to design it, adding a photo of the ship and the name/cruise dates below that. Then I print it all out on iron-on transfers and iron it onto a tee shirt. I've gotten compliments on our shirts on the first day of every cruise we've been on.

Also, because I'm so thrifty, I've bought the tee shirts on sale for 5 for $10 (Walgreen's, of all places), and I always get the transfer paper on sale at craft shops. But don't worry-- I generally buy myself a souvenir tee shirt (on sale, of course!) on the ship as well. :)

Since I like for us to wear matching ship tee shirts (or this year, sweatshirts, since we're sailing in colder weather) for our Welcome Aboard photos, I always make them myself! I use a graphics-type program to design it, adding a photo of the ship and the name/cruise dates below that. Then I print it all out on iron-on transfers and iron it onto a tee shirt. I've gotten compliments on our shirts on the first day of every cruise we've been on.

Also, because I'm so thrifty, I've bought the tee shirts on sale for 5 for $10 (Walgreen's, of all places), and I always get the transfer paper on sale at craft shops. But don't worry-- I generally buy myself a souvenir tee shirt (on sale, of course!) on the ship as well. :)

This is a great idea as our November cruise is part of the Christmas gift Santa is giving us! Now I will make our daughter a tshirt for her to unwrap on the bus to NYC the morning of the cruise. She is going to be SO surprised! Or maybe I will wait until we are at the terminal and she figures out it is another cruise then she can unwrap the shirt. Either way I can't wait!

On the Epic the sales in the shops lasted all week and did not change. Said another way, if you see something you like in the shop, get it. It won't be cheaper later. For example, they had 40% off all citizen watches all week. That never changed. What you will find, however, is that they trot out some different merchandise each day to sell in a central kiosk or up in the marketplace on the 15th deck. These are items that are NOT offered in the gift shop. Examples are $10 watches, 2 for $25 t-shirts, 50% discount hats, etc. Again, these were not items you'd find in the gift shops. Personally, I found the gift shop stuff to be far nicer quality. Right now I'm wearing my Epic Inaugural Season t-shirt that was only sold in the gift shop and never on sale.

I'm not sure if other ships are the same way, but that's how it was on the Epic.

Archived