Santo Winery In Pyrgos

grpdyl

Does anyone know how far this winery is from Fira ,does a bus go there or do you have to take a taxi??

I know the Gem has an excursion to a winery but I dont know which one

for $89. Any info would be appreciated

Thanks

grpdyl

We did the Winery tour of Santorini with the Gem, and were pleased. We saw most of the island and the Wine was very good and different. Others in our tour did Santorini on their own and were only able to visit Fira. I am sure that you can ride the bus, but you lose a lot of time finding the bus station, waiting for the bus, etc. You should maximize your time there, especially since the Gem arrives at 4PM.

I am sure that you can ride the bus, but you lose a lot of time finding the bus station, waiting for the bus, etc. You should maximize your time there, especially since the Gem arrives at 4PM.

I think this is good advice with a 4 p.m. arrival. Sunset will be before 7 when the OP is there, and by the time you get off the ship, take the cable car, find the bus station and catch the bus (which only goes every half hour), you've used up a lot of the short daylight time that you'll have on Santorini.

Those on cruise ship excursions are usually tendered off before the DIY passengers, giving you a head start on your Santorini sightseeing.

If you really don't want to take a cruise tour, a taxi might get you there in time to see the winery and enjoy the views before it closes (per the website, it closes at sunset)....but you would probably want to find out from past Gem passengers what time they were able to get off the ship and up to Fira by. The winery is less than 3 miles from Fira, so a quick and probably not too expensive taxi ride.

We really enjoyed our visit to the Santo Winery. We had a wonderful tasting of 6 wines plus cheese plate for 12 euros. The tasting area has many outdoor seats , some with umbrellas overlooking the caldera.

It was one of the many highlights of our time in Santorini.

http://www.santowines.gr/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=1273

We found 3 wines very enjoyable. Santorini is known for Vinsanto, a sweet wine we really enjoyed:

http://www.santowines.gr/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=1304

We chose this winery based on the recommendation of a local Santorini resident. We were not disappointed.

We had a rental car. I did notice several taxis coming and going - this winery is a short taxi ride from Fira, about 10 minutes away.

They offer a tour of the winery in addition to the tastings.

Archived