Sun Drydock Questions

LordWinston

Hi Everyone! This is my first post on CC and my first time sailing NCL. (I've been on RCI, Celeb, Disney, Hol Amer, Princess) My travel companion and I are super excited about our summer Baltic cruise.

I came across posts that the Sun will have a drydock in January 2011. Is that still on? How extensive will the freshening be? Does NCL do much redesigning in drydock? I wonder if the cabins will get updating?

I'm a total cruise geek so I find this stuff interesting. For me the planning is a big part of cruising fun!

Thanks!

YES! Her drydock is still on.

One never knows what will be going on during that time. Many have speculated that she'll have an oil and lube, and maybe some cosmetic stuff done. Others think they might redesign the buffet area, and others think that the decor will be updated.

Nobody knows except them that are involved, and we aren't likely to find out until it is already underway.

Hope you have a great time, I'll be on her in just a couple of weeks and I'm excited even though we get the 'old' version of the Sun, I'm just happy to be going!

You know as much as we do, not much...

Fortunately, the Sun has been NCL's lucky ship despite her age. I suspect her dry dock will include a normal sprucing up of carpets and furniture, a new paint job, along with tune ups of her machinery...

Some think she may finally get a Cagneys and a Blue Lagoon, or at least have East Meets West and her Sports Bar resigned...

Nothing has been released outside of the dry dock dates...

We'll see in a few months...

I was told by the NCL agent we booked with, that the Sun is scheduled to have the carpets replaced, new paint and all the beds updated with the new Bliss beds - which sounds wonderful. We originally had booked on the Sun, but switched to the Star for the same sailing date. I sailed on the Sun - maybe 5-6 years ago and she is a lovely ship. I did try to press the agent recently to see if anything more might be done to the Sun but she only commented that the dry is scheduled to take palce according to their calendar. I was trying to see if the Sun might add the new family suites like on the Star, but I suspect not as otherwise they would be trying to sell them, so I guess we will all have to wait and see. Wishing you a good trip on the Sun.

You know as much as we do, not much...

Fortunately, the Sun has been NCL's lucky ship despite her age. I suspect her dry dock will include a normal sprucing up of carpets and furniture, a new paint job, along with tune ups of her machinery...

Hush, Don!! Don't jinx her now just a week out from my departure date!! :eek:

Hush, Don!! Don't jinx her now just a week out from my departure date!! :eek:

i forgot to write, knock on wood... There, is that better? :D:D

I assure you I have no intentions of jinxing her... I'm admiring her wonderful record of flawless perfection when it comes to her machinery... :cool::cool:

• 2 weeks later...
I was told by the NCL agent we booked with, that the Sun is scheduled to have the carpets replaced, new paint and all the beds updated with the new Bliss beds - which sounds wonderful. We originally had booked on the Sun, but switched to the Star for the same sailing date. I sailed on the Sun - maybe 5-6 years ago and she is a lovely ship. I did try to press the agent recently to see if anything more might be done to the Sun but she only commented that the dry is scheduled to take palce according to their calendar. I was trying to see if the Sun might add the new family suites like on the Star, but I suspect not as otherwise they would be trying to sell them, so I guess we will all have to wait and see. Wishing you a good trip on the Sun.

Fancy mattress and sheets. Like what the upscale hotels offer, I've been able to purchase a matress set and bedding from the Westin, the Hilton and Marriot. :D

Are all of the cabins getting this bedding?

do most of NCL's ships now have this?

• 3 weeks later...

Well that is a tough question to answer. You will enjoy the new spruced up ship, but sometimes there is still a bit of work to finish. I would rather cruise on a ship after a drydock than before a drydock. Before a drydock they attempt to get a head start with some of the work. So as far as beginning the work and finishing the work its a coin flip...

Without any doubt a ship is shining again after a drydock. She'll appear almost brand new... :D:D:D

Archived