Tipping

Milo_27

We are newbies and cruising on Century in January. I was told that gratuties would be added automatically to our account - which basically means compulsory tipping.

I have always tipped in every restaurant and hotel that I have stayed all over the world, and had every attention to do so. I really do not like the idea of Celebrity dictating to me the sum I wish to give as a tip.

I like the idea of giving the cabin steward a tip up front at the beginning of the trip and of course would have done so at the end.

However, we do not drink wine, will probably not go to any select dining and I personally would prefer to give the tip to personnel whom I consider have given me the service that has made my holiday enjoyable.

I realise that there are behind scenes staff that the we the cruiser is basically subsidising their wage, which I feel is wrong. Cruise lines should be responsible to give an appropriate wage and should be under scrutiny to provide a living wage, as there are in many work forces especially in Europe.

Of course we will tip, but I am offended that my right of choice is being removed.

Although the tips are important to the staff, what seems more important is mentioning their names (especially the cabin staff) in the cruise reports. These reports are read out at their staff meetings and a good report can result in a renewed contract.

I hate the whole business of tipping as I live in a country where tips are not mandatory and everyone is paid a decent wage. Tipping is very much an American thing. I also only tip staff who have given me service and if I choose not to eat in the MDR, but in the specialty restaurants where the food is superior, I don't prepay as the MDR staff have done nothing to deserve my tips.

I understand where you are coming from - I too thought that way for many cruises. In fact I would only give cash gratuities personally so that I "knew" those who worked hard did in fact receive some compensation for their efforts.

Since that time I've spoken to a few of the crew on board and found that they [crew members] actually prefer that the guests pay their gratuties on their sea pass or pre-pay. And yes the crew DOES know who has paid and who has removed the gratuties from their accounts.

I simply pay the gratuities on my sea-pass or in my upcoming case do a pre-pay since the Mrs. has choosen Select Dining. In addition I always carry lots of spare small bills that I choose to leave behind for any crew member who gives myself or my wife excellent service.

Oh BTW you're right about mentioning the crews names. I make a habit of carrying 1 or 2 comments cards while on board and do not hesitate to write down names of crew that are deserving of a special mention.

Again, this is not a tip or gratuity, it is what it is - per person service charge, akin to head tax. And should be accepted as such, just like tax.

The above poster is right, the pricing structure it is similar to budget airfares.

Significant difference is that if you take carry-on only, you don't pay for luggage, and if you choose not to order adrink, you don't pay.

On a cruise, you still pay waiters even if you are a baby on formula, and wine steward if you are a 9 year old schoolgirl.

4 people in one cabin pay same amount as if they were in 4 separate cabins.

If they would add this charge to the price of a cruise, then people would actually tip for service provided.

Although the tips are important to the staff, what seems more important is mentioning their names (especially the cabin staff) in the cruise reports. These reports are read out at their staff meetings and a good report can result in a renewed contract.

I hate the whole business of tipping as I live in a country where tips are not mandatory and everyone is paid a decent wage. Tipping is very much an American thing. I also only tip staff who have given me service and if I choose not to eat in the MDR, but in the specialty restaurants where the food is superior, I don't prepay as the MDR staff have done nothing to deserve my tips.

Except they probably did give you service. The tip is for dining service you receive for the entire day. The MDR wait staff also work at the various venues for breakfast and lunch. So yes, you were likely served by someone in the MDR, unless you only ate dinner and no other meal or snack during the rest of the day.

Also from a MARKETING standpoint, Celebrity or MOST companies would like to advertise the lowest "selling price" for their item.

Let's say someone is comparing a Celeb cruise vs other lines. Im sure celebrity would like to advertise $999 instead of including the tips, and advertising $1100.

Downunder - who do you think serves you breakfast and lunch? Who do you think cleans the tables in the buffet area at breakfast and lunch. These same crew members are who work in the MDR so if you aren't going to tip because you don't eat in the MDR then don't eat breakfast or lunch either. Shame on you! People like you make me so mad. Always looking to stiff the crew! These people work so hard and many hours and get paid very little. Ugh! :(( HOpe you aren't cruising when I am.

If one doesn't like aspects of a mode of travel, DON'T USE IT.

I don't like much to do with flying. So I only fly when I absolutely have to.

If one doesn't like tipping, DON'T cruise.

If tipping isn't a custom where someone lives, then great, stay there.

We are newbies and cruising on Century in January. I was told that gratuties would be added automatically to our account - which basically means compulsory tipping.

I have always tipped in every restaurant and hotel that I have stayed all over the world, and had every attention to do so. I really do not like the idea of Celebrity dictating to me the sum I wish to give as a tip.

I like the idea of giving the cabin steward a tip up front at the beginning of the trip and of course would have done so at the end.

However, we do not drink wine, will probably not go to any select dining and I personally would prefer to give the tip to personnel whom I consider have given me the service that has made my holiday enjoyable.

I realise that there are behind scenes staff that the we the cruiser is basically subsidising their wage, which I feel is wrong. Cruise lines should be responsible to give an appropriate wage and should be under scrutiny to provide a living wage, as there are in many work forces especially in Europe.

Of course we will tip, but I am offended that my right of choice is being removed.

We paid for our Oct. 31 2010 Trans Atlantic cruise a while back and chose late seating for dinner. There was no mention of pre paying our gratuities and so we did not. As I understand it, if you choose Select Seating, you are asked to pre pay those gratuities because you may not have the same server for every meal as you do when you choose the early or late seating in the MDR. Personally, I would not have a problem pre paying our gratuities. If the level of service is excellent , and it always is, we expect to give above and beyond what Celebrity recommends for tipping to those who take care of us. On those evenings we have booked the Murano and the Tuscan Grill we will notify our waiter the everning before that we will not be there for dinner the following evening and we will still see to it that he is properly taken care of.

Very much with you DownUnder just pay people a decent living wage and don't expect the wait staff to depend on tips. When travelling in the states I have found that many people come to expect a tip as a matter of course no matter what the quality of service. If someone gives you some genuinely good service then I like to reward them face to face.

But if that's the way it's done then fair enough. As the saying goes "when in Rome do as the Romans do".

Gteensuz - my daughter gets $2.99 per hour and she depends on her tips. She has to tip out her busboy, hostess and the bartender. She works hard for her money.

Celebrity's waitstaff are all Excellent. It doesn't make any difference if you eat in Select or the Regular Main Dining Room. They all work hard, they have all been trained and they all give excellent service. Not just the best get put in Select Dining. I like those people who eat most of their dining room meals in the Specialty Restaurant but don't want to tip the waitstaff who served them breakfast and lunch each day. I think they just use that as an excuse to use their tip money to eat in the Specialty Dining Room. And to those who don't see why they should have to tip the Asst. Matre D, be happy you don't need his services. Just because he didn't stop at your table maybe means he was busy trying to solve some problem for a guest at another table. BUT I am sure if you need him for some reason, he will be right there to take care of your needs.

If you are offended by how the cruiseline runs its ship, then I suggest you stay home. That is the system. The crew are paid $50/month. They work 14-16 hour days to make sure you have a wonderful time. They are expected to augment their pittance of a salary from tips. Whether or not you feel the system is wrong doesn't really enter into the equation. You have a right to your feelings, but if you feel so strongly about the way the ships compensate their employees, then you should not participate in a cruise. Decent tips are part of the cost of cruising.

I agree that good service should be rewarded and I always tip very generously. I also agree that one should personally decide what to do with their hard earned money and not be dictated as to what they should do with it.

That's put the cat amongst the pgeons hasn't it!!

I tip very generously, am not a 'stiffer'. I tip the guy who cleans the door knobs, cleans out the minibar, the steward,waiters, photographer, anybody I see giving a service. However, I decide what to do with my hard earned money, will not be dictated to as to what to do with it.

We had a lazy steward on one cruise. Our cabin, on entering, was dirty, drink cartons from the previous passenger left on the side, even found heart pills on the floor. He left several cabins not made up, only made the bed when turning down at night. I certainly do not think he should have the same share of tips as the waiter in the MDR who q

Tipping is very much an American thing. I also only tip staff who have given me service and if I choose not to eat in the MDR, but in the specialty restaurants where the food is superior, I don't prepay as the MDR staff have done nothing to deserve my tips.
Just to correct you - the staff who wait on your assigned table in the MDR do not just work at dinner time and then sit round for the rest of the day with their feet up....! They will be working in the cafe area at breakfast and lunch or they will be working somewhere else around the ship. I saw our evening waiter (excellant chap called Rudi) at dinner, he greeted us in the cafe at breakfast and lunch and we even saw him helping guests off the ship on the last day.

So unless you do not have a morsel of food pass your lips for the entire day until you dine in the speciality restaurants each evening, then you should pay the MDR service charges IMHO.

Agree with everyone else in so many levels you are dead wrong...

I loved what you said Happy Cruiser. We have been on many cruises and have made friends with so many of the crew and we know how hard they work. It is true that they only get $50 per month. And to those people who think if they tip before that they will get better service, you won't. The service is the same no matter what. Always excellent service. I am amazed each time I cruise how many of the crew remember our names and ask about our family.

I get so mad every time I read these posts from people complaining about the tipping. They go on these cruises and want the crew to pamper them and when it comes time to take care of them, they stiff them. $11.50 per day per person to be pampered is CHEAP! These same people go on some other type of vacation, pay for their room, eat their meals out and tip but when cruising they feel it is up to the cruiseline to take care of their staff. Take care of these hard working people. They work hard to give us a wonderful time and they are well deserving of compensation for it. It makes me so mad that these same people would drink one $l0 drink and think nothing of it but $11.50 per day for tips is too much. :((

It's my opinion that the cruiselines do a terrible job of explaining that this isn't a "tip" in the normal sense. Since I started cruising on RCI I had been accustomed to the envelope system. As an American, who was a waiter, I felt like presenting the tip to the person(s) whom actually earned it for their service.

I felt that way until speaking to several crew members who told me that they [crew] actually got MORE when people did the pre-pay then when getting cash. :confused: It was explained that the room steward actually has to pay a portion of their "tips" to housekeeping and their assistant; just like I had to "tip" my busboy and bartenders...

Then I went thru a period where I felt that the cruiselines should just raise their fares pay the staff living wages and eliminate the gratuities altogether. However, when you add in the commissions that the lines pay and the taxes on the fares it would drastically affect the entire industry.

Finally the Mrs and I did a simple 'test' on one of our cruises. We were vacationing on land 3 days before the cruise and 4 days after. I kept records of what we spent in food for breakfast, lunch, dinner and rooms. When I kept actual records I found that we spent much, much more than $12 pp/day.

So from that point forward I just do the auto-gratuitity HAPPILY. I STILL cash on the ship and I still tip at times - for example at the buffet when the waiter comes over and gets a refill in drinks for us or just provides superior service. Room service always gets tips and for room stewards who go above and beyond their usual.

I understand how some people don't like to feel FORCED to 'tip' - I know I don't. That's why I believe the ships need to educate passengers or describe it as a vacation service charge.

whatever you want to call it - it most certainly is earned and in my opinion a BARGIN.

For those of you who get less than optimal service - SPEAK UP THEN AND THERE!!!! Too often when you encounter that occasional worker who is having a bad week, a waiter who seems to not care, etc., (maybe 1% of less) find the supervisor right there and then. I guarentee you it WILL be corrected. You'll get the level of service that =X= is known for and you won't be upset.

Tipping does seem to be very much American based, and can be off putting for those not used to it, especially when it is made compulsory. We were on Mercury earlier this month and interestingly because our tickets were purchased in Australia, our quoted price included the gratuities.

This was released recently http://www.pocruises.com.au/AboutUs/News/Pages/po-cruises-bids-farewell-to-tipping.aspx and I guess reflects our different outlook.

And for the record, we felt the service we received was exemplary, and ensured our staff received a further cash tip.

If you are offended by how the cruiseline runs its ship, then I suggest you stay home. That is the system. The crew are paid $50/month. They work 14-16 hour days to make sure you have a wonderful time. They are expected to augment their pittance of a salary from tips. Whether or not you feel the system is wrong doesn't really enter into the equation. You have a right to your feelings, but if you feel so strongly about the way the ships compensate their employees, then you should not participate in a cruise. Decent tips are part of the cost of cruising.

Amen! I am with you.:)

Archived