Question about Gem drydock

bragstarr

I'm booked on Gem 12/11 which is right after she is being drydocked to fix the Azipods. Looking forward to getting on an empty ship just waiting for us! Wondering two things--how long is she being drydocked for, and are they doing anything besides fixing the Azipods? Also, do we know where they are drydocking yet?

The Norwegian Jewel is coming up to Boston the week before the Gem's drydock and they're only expected to be up here for a few days while the ship is pulled out of the water to have the bearing repaired. Chances are they'll be sending the Gem up here to Boston as well although I have been unable to get this confirmed as yet. It would make sense because Boston's drydock is usually always available - especially in cases of emergencies or last minute deals. It's not Freeport by any means!! :eek:

So I assume they aren't doing anything but fixing the azipod--which is important!--and giving her a good clean-up. Well, at least we'll have a rested and ready crew! Boston makes a lot of sense and thank goodness she's not going to go to Freeport. Guess we'll get more info as it gets closer.

So I assume they aren't doing anything but fixing the azipod--which is important!--and giving her a good clean-up. Well, at least we'll have a rested and ready crew! Boston makes a lot of sense and thank goodness she's not going to go to Freeport. Guess we'll get more info as it gets closer.

They wouldn't make Freeport and back in one week. It takes a good 15 hours or so to pump out the drydock. She'll be somewhere close to NYC for sure. They won't be doing anything extensive to her interior or exterior other than the azipod while she's in drydock. There's not enough time to get new carpeting onboard and the garbage off, although I suppose it could be done if NCL brought in enough people. I still don't forsee that happening. Just a detailed cleaning and re-organization of the ship will likely occur. :)

On the one hand, it should be nice to get on a ship fresh out of drydock...the possibility of boarding prior to lunch and having the cabin all ready.:cool:

On the other hand....what if the ship encounters complications during the drydocking, and is delayed further? Could cut into next cruise or even cancel it.:eek:

• 2 months later...

Keep us updated on the GEM, only stumbled on the Jewel as she arrived this am, on AIS. :eek:

The Norwegian Jewel is coming up to Boston the week before the Gem's drydock and they're only expected to be up here for a few days while the ship is pulled out of the water to have the bearing repaired. Chances are they'll be sending the Gem up here to Boston as well although I have been unable to get this confirmed as yet. It would make sense because Boston's drydock is usually always available - especially in cases of emergencies or last minute deals. It's not Freeport by any means!! :eek:

Keep us updated on the GEM, only stumbled on the Jewel as she arrived this am, on AIS. :eek:

Yes she was in drydock very slowly last night but the gate was finally closed later in the evening and the pumping did begin. Who knows what they have in store for the Gem this drydock inside. Chances are it'll be ripping up a lot of carpeting and vaccuuming out the vents like they did on the Jewel. Not sure if the Gem is in line for a new stage like the Jewel received. Either way... she'll look like new by the weekend! :)

Archived