Train from Rome to Florence - questions

D4

Although we spent weeks in Rome earlier this year, we never took a train. We're planning our next trip and want to take the train to Florence. I've looked at the Trenitalia site and GSPlovers sites, but I can't find what I'm looking for.

To go from Rome to Florence, do we have to leave from Termini or can we leave from one of the smaller Rome train stations? The reason is I've been in Termini many times (with no luggage) and it is crazy busy! DH has mobility problems and I can't imagine dealing with the crowds with our luggage and his slow walking. Also, since they don't post the tracks much in advance, there might not be time for us to get to the train before it leaves because he walks slowly. I think a smaller train station would be easier and less stressful for us to navigate.

Although we spent weeks in Rome earlier this year, we never took a train. We're planning our next trip and want to take the train to Florence. I've looked at the Trenitalia site and GSPlovers sites, but I can't find what I'm looking for.

To go from Rome to Florence, do we have to leave from Termini or can we leave from one of the smaller Rome train stations? The reason is I've been in Termini many times (with no luggage) and it is crazy busy! DH has mobility problems and I can't imagine dealing with the crowds with our luggage and his slow walking. Also, since they don't post the tracks much in advance, there might not be time for us to get to the train before it leaves because he walks slowly. I think a smaller train station would be easier and less stressful for us to navigate.

I am using an European CD-ROM-schedule and checked for all connections from Rome to Firenze. Checking for a period like Monday September 25 from 00.00 hrs to 23.59 hrs I got following results:

All ES (EuroStar)-trains do not stop else but Roma Termini.

Even handful of slower IC-trains (which need double time) do not stop in a Rome Range.

But there is one train leaving directly from Rome Tiburtina:

ICN 774

leaving 22.36 hrs

arriving 01.44 hrs

but in Florence Campo di Marte.

Orte will be the next boarding point for Florence-bound IC-trains. So you can take a Regional train out of Rome Tiburtina and change then to an IC-train to Florence in Orte.

Regards

HeinBloed

Yes, Termini is a busy place. However, most of the ES (the fast trains) start there, so the train will be sitting on at the platform for quite awhile. Even those which start in Naples will spend 15 minutes at the platform.

You will actually be better off using Termini than one of the smaller stations, because they have special services not available at smaller ones.

Arrive at Termini with plenty of time before your train, and go to the waiting room near track one where the special assistance office is. They will help you and your husband get to and onto the train.

Information and a map showing where the waiting room and office are is here: http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=4c2b1b02de9fb110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

Archived