Hotel and metro question

welove2cruise*

I am thinking about spending the night after our cruise in Barcelona due to the fact that the flights back to the US all seem very early to gamble on.

We are booked on NCL and last time we came back from Barcelona they offered a transfer to the airport for $25 pp. After our experience with the Barcelona cab drivers we jumped on that. I am thinking of taking that transfer to the airport after we get off the ship, finding a storage facility for our larger pieces of luggae at the airport and then just hopping on the metro with a couple of overnight bags to stay at a hotel near Las Ramblas.

We can then take the metro back to the airport the next morning and avoid the taxi fee again.

Questions - where are the luggage holding areas located in the airport, is the metro to Las Ramblas area easy to do, and does anyone have experience with the Hesperia Ramblas? I am thinking of that hotel as it sounds reasonable and located well.

Thanks if you can help!

I am thinking about spending the night after our cruise in Barcelona due to the fact that the flights back to the US all seem very early to gamble on.

We are booked on NCL and last time we came back from Barcelona they offered a transfer to the airport for $25 pp. After our experience with the Barcelona cab drivers we jumped on that. I am thinking of taking that transfer to the airport after we get off the ship, finding a storage facility for our larger pieces of luggae at the airport and then just hopping on the metro with a couple of overnight bags to stay at a hotel near Las Ramblas.

We can then take the metro back to the airport the next morning and avoid the taxi fee again.

Questions - where are the luggage holding areas located in the airport, is the metro to Las Ramblas area easy to do, and does anyone have experience with the Hesperia Ramblas? I am thinking of that hotel as it sounds reasonable and located well.

Thanks if you can help!

It would be easiest to take a cab from the airport to Sants Train Station (about 10 EUR - varies to day and time of travel - number of bags etc.).

1. There are baggage storage fascilities...

2. There is metro access to get to La Rambla area...

3. There is commuter train access to get to the airport Terminal 2 (there is a complimentary shuttle from Terminal 2 train station to Terminal 1).

This would be much more easier going to the airport and then return to the city.

But honestly spoken: the port and the city are so close together: take your bags with a taxi to the hotel and then take a taxi from your hotel to the airport.

Saves a lot of time you can use for sightseeing and money.

Regards

HeinBloed

My experience with Barcelona taxi drivers was not a good one. I am trying to avoid them whenever possible. We found the metro there very easy to navigate which is why we are looking at the option of alternate transportation, but thanks for your input. I am hoping to work out the easiest "avoid taxi" solution. ;)

You're going to a lot of trouble to avoid the taxis, which are so reasonable. I understand you may have had a bad experience, but I used probably 20 taxis in Barcelona this year and had no problem with any of them, so I think your situation(s) probably won't be repeated and you'll have quick, convenient, inexpensive transportation rather than spending a quick visit wasting time going to the aiport to drop bags when you don't need to.

Best,

Mia

OP: I'm going to echo Kerry's Girls here.... a lot of trouble (and wasted time) to avoid taking one taxi to the airport.. .. I don't question that you had a bad experience, but I suspect it was very unusual. We were in Barcelona in January, took a cab from the airport to our hotel when we arrived; on the day of the cruise, we took a cab from the hotel to the ship; and when we got off the ship, we took a cab from the pier to the airport. No problems. Most of the cab drivers don't speak English, but that's true in many countries.

I agree with you about the Barcelona metro: easy to use, and a great way to get around the city after you've checking into your hotel.

Apologies that I haven't answered your questions; just trying to help you avoid wasting time in Barcelona and a needless trip to the airport....

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Will you guys have a crazy amount of luggage or people with mobility issues? If not I don't see why you wouldn't just take the shuttle bus that drops you at the Columbus monument and then walk or hop on the metro to the hotel. I believe the Hesperia Ramblas is near La Boqueria which is not all that far from the monument. Maybe just one metro stop up the line (the closest metro stop to the monument is Drassanes and the next one up is Liceu which is very near the hotel). Plus, if you get off the ship somewhat early on a Sunday morning there won't be thousands of people wandering La Ramblas as they'll all be home sleeping off whatever they did on Saturday night. I just got off the Jade in Barcelona this past Sunday and took the metro and then the airport train all while minding my luggage and it was no problem at all. Granted, I travel very light but it would have been easy even if I had more with me.

Archived