Cruising Experience - A social event or not?

Mr. Luckytoo

Do you like to interact with other passengers?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to interact with other passengers?

• I love the social concept of cruising
    • I just want to be left alone - its my vacation
    • I really hadn't thought about it either way

Cruising Experience - A social event or not?

One thing that I find very interesting is the social interactions between people. Most people, when they go on vacation, usually do their planning with their small circle of friends/family. In fact there is not a lot of social interaction with strangers, except for the interaction with people in the services industry.

However, on a cruise I have noticed there are many more opportunities for social interaction with fellow passengers. This is due to the close quarters and activities such as trivia contests, classes, and dining times. Even with shore excursions there exists the opportunity for interaction.

One thing I have found interesting to read about is how these interactions between people can affect their choices pre- and post-cruise.

Take the main dining room (MDR) for example. There are certain people who like dining with strangers and others who detest doing that.

When it comes to a cruise what type of passenger interaction do you anticipate pre-cruise and how does that influence your cruising decision?

i have never been on a cruise first one coming up in Novemeber but been to many resorts. I do trips a 2 trips a year - one with my husband the other with my mother. I am a social butterfly, husband the laid back quiet guy, i usually am the one who meets the people and we both have a great time with them. last trip met 6 forgien students who skipped off school for week of resorting in Cuba to this day we still keep in contact with those students.

when travelling with my mom, she meets people and we hang with them during the day but at night when she goes to bed I am on my own and always manage to meet someone who has something in common with me.

i do like my quiet time and i do enjoy my times where i don't have to talk to people so at this point of time i am not sure if i am really going to like sharing a table while i meals with complete strangers. time will tell but i am willing to give it a try other wise it will be the buffet.

The wife and i are the type that passengers either love or hate . The cruise staff loves us . we will go out in the crowd and egg folks on to participate in passenger games and skits . If i can make someone laugh and have a good time ,I don't mind makeing somewhat of a fool of myself.

I value the pvt time for me and my husband. He works 80+ hrs a week most of the time so when we can get away, we just want to chill and relax. That is one reason we went to Anytime Dinning. If we choose to socialize we do. Crusin is great just for that reason. Next week this time we will be at the port in Miami... Can't wait. :p

As a solo traveler, cruising gives me the best of all worlds.

How social I am depends on my mood at that time..I took a 4 day on Century in April and although I met folks, my purpose was to relax and recharge...I ended up spending a lot of time by myself. Had Traditional seating for dinner and thoroughly enjoyed my table mates.

I'm leaving on the Carnival Liberty soon and I plan to party more than relax. Celebrating the anniversary of my big 50 and divorce.

Cruises give me options and I feel safe in my travels. I never have to look for restaurants and pray the are decent and safe...no brainer travel works for me:cool:

We cruise for the sole purpose of spending time together. We cruise 2-4 times a year and with our schedules at home, we rarely get a change to be home at the same time, even to eat a meal together. Every cruise is treated like a private honeymoon for us, therefore we do not want much interaction with others. We want a table for two and we don't go on cruise to meet people, although we certainly are not rude to people. People we do meet on the cruise would not know we felt this way, but we "escape" as soon as we can.;)

I wonder if you solicited this poll in one of the other cruise line threads, if the results would be the same? Like maybe Celebrity or HAL?

Personally, I like the "atmosphere" of the cruise, and don't mind hanging out with other people, but I HATE making small talk with random strangers, just to avoid awkward silence. For example, I have no interest in sitting at a MDR table with people I don't know. But that's just me...

This has never crossed my mind........who does this:confused:

Well some people choose a cruise ship with a suite to totally isolate themselves.

Other people choose a specific cruise line because they anticipate a party atmosphere...while others choose a cruise itinerary/ship for the exact opposite reason...

I wonder if you solicited this poll in one of the other cruise line threads, if the results would be the same? Like maybe Celebrity or HAL?

Personally, I like the "atmosphere" of the cruise, and don't mind hanging out with other people, but I HATE making small talk with random strangers, just to avoid awkward silence. For example, I have no interest in sitting at a MDR table with people I don't know. But that's just me...

I actually HAVE posted this EXACT same question and poll on 4 different lines: Carnival, Celebrity, NCL & RCI.

I'm trying to see if certain people cruise on certain lines based on specific criteria. Thanks for your input...:)

When we have cruised in larger groups, we have interacted mostly with our group. When we have cruised on our own, we socialized with people we met a lot more. We had a great time meeting and partying with other people, and it really enhanced our trip tremendously. I find people very interesting, and I love people watching, but I am sort of shy and have to push myself and it sometimes feels like work if I don't have a little "social lubricant" in the form of a tall, cold one. After a couple D.O.D.s, I am a chatter box! My husband can and will talk with anyone about anything, whether he knows about what he is talking about or not! (Yes, he is THAT guy - for better or worse) Though he is frequently fairly well "pre-lubricated" while on vacation, (yeah, THAT guy) so maybe that has something to do with it. That is why we are on Carnival, to celebrate and party and have a good time - that and the great price. We have more sedate, or romantic land vacations, depending on our needs. If I wanted more of an R&R or fouffy cruise, I would definitely pick a different line. I want the fun ship!

I actually HAVE posted this EXACT same question and poll on 4 different lines: Carnival, Celebrity, NCL & RCI.

I'm trying to see if certain people cruise on certain lines based on specific criteria. Thanks for your input...:)

Thanks for the info, I'm going to go check those threads out. Interesting...

We have friends today that we met on cruise ships over 20 years ago... we continue to meet new people every cruise.

My husband and I enjoy our alone time and we also enjoy the activities that create a more congenial environment.....

If we just want to be left alone, we go to a bed and breakfast in a small picturesque town, we don't go on a ship teeming with humanity!

well I'm still awaiting my first cruise, but considering that I am pretty anti-social in everyday life, I doubt I'll be attempting to make friends on the cruise either. I don't like chatting with people I don't know...it's weird and awkward and uncomfortable. Vacation time is for me and DH(or whomever I am going with), to relax and enjoy time together, not to meet new people.

well I'm still awaiting my first cruise, but considering that I am pretty anti-social in everyday life, I doubt I'll be attempting to make friends on the cruise either. I don't like chatting with people I don't know...it's weird and awkward and uncomfortable. Vacation time is for me and DH(or whomever I am going with), to relax and enjoy time together, not to meet new people.

Not knocking you for it but you must live in a small town, because i can't imagine meeting or talking to people being weird,awkward, or uncomfortable. I talked to people everyday before i retired and now love to make new friends on a cruise. Enjoy your cruise on the Magic, it will be such a beautiful ship when done. We are looking forward to sailing on her in the next few years.

I voted for the social level...best of both worlds social when you want..quiet when you want...and small town or large...IMHO..there are those that chat with others and those that just sit at the table for 12 and either are so shy they give one word answers or so rude they grunt..to each their own...Hi Jersey!!!

Not knocking you for it but you must live in a small town, because i can't imagine meeting or talking to people being weird,awkward, or uncomfortable.

:confused:

I live in a large metropolitan area, where an awful lot of the inhabitants are annoying freaks.

Don't really want to chat them up or hang out.

I think it's simply the difference between an introvert personality and an extrovert personality. The Myers-Briggs personality assessment is a pretty amazing tool to determine your type.

I am one of those "talk to anybody anytime" types but my 22 year old son is exactly like the above poster who finds that kind of thing awkward and uncomfortable. He is an introvert and I am an extrovert.

Archived