When is Spring Break 2011?

decoste45

Schools are on break anywhere between President's Day and the week following Easter. So, anytime between Feb. 20 and April 30 you will likely find schools on break.

Our school in MN used to take the last week of March as break. We always found plenty of kids on break no matter where we went for break.

DD is Pre-K at a local day school. However, the calendar that they use at her school is similar to the Elementary Schools around the immediate area. Here they usually get two holidays in the winter. One they call President's week and that is the week of February 21st to February 25th. The other is the really spring break this year it falls in April. They have from April 18th to April 26th off. The schools call this break their Easter/Passover Recess, in addition to calling it Spring Break. Like other parents say in this forum, it defers from county to county and state to state. The best bet is if their is a major holiday such as Christmas, New Years, Passover, Easter, etc. you can bet on it that children will be off from school.

We live in the Atlanta area and we get Winter Break (Feb 21-25) and Spring Break (April 4-8). We cruised over Spring Break last year...same week... on RCCL out of Tampa and there were less than 150 kids on board. We were told there were 500+ kids on board the previous few weeks.

Thank you everyone!!

We are Canadian and our DS is only 3 so I wasn't sure when USA schools are out. We are on a 10 day on HAL out of Ft.Lauderdale, so I assumed that we would have some kids... I am hoping that we won't have a lot of partying College kids. :rolleyes:

Thanks all,

Happy sailing

Karmen

Hi all,

I am wondering when Spring Break is in 2011? Easter is late April, but I assume that a lot of schools will be out sometime in March for a break. Just wondering if we have booked a "spring break" cruise - it's March 28th.

Thank you!:)

Karmen

We are off the 1st week of March, but that is private. Public in our area will be off around Easter. Colleges and other states will run the gambit, so I would say "yes" you have booked a Spring Break Cruise.

Thank you everyone!!

We are Canadian and our DS is only 3 so I wasn't sure when USA schools are out. We are on a 10 day on HAL out of Ft.Lauderdale, so I assumed that we would have some kids... I am hoping that we won't have a lot of partying College kids. :rolleyes:

Thanks all,

Happy sailing

Karmen

You are very unlikely to have partying college kids on a HAL 10 day. HAL is known for its older (think 80 and 90 year old) clientele. ;) Most families just do 7 day cruises.

Our school district spring break is always the week before Easter, no matter how late it is. But yes, weeks may vary. I've taken a few spring break cruises, before I had kids, and it never occurred to me that the cruise might be overrun with kids. There were lots of families and kids, but my DH and I were too busy having fun to really notice much. ;)

You are very unlikely to have partying college kids on a HAL 10 day. HAL is known for its older (think 80 and 90 year old) clientele. ;) Most families just do 7 day cruises.

Aaaw! "think 80 and 90 year old clientele"??? That's not a very nice comment, and it's definitely NOT TRUE!! Have you ever been on a HAL cruise? I have, and honestly don't remember seeing the "clientele" to which you refer. My early-thirty kids thought HAL was wonderful, and had a blast.

OP - you should be just fine on a 10-day HAL cruise (good move on your part!). You'll probably have very few college kids, but enough young kids to make your cruise enjoyable. HAL is a great line! bigger cabins than most, great food, and wonderful staff!

A 10 day cruise on HAL would be way down the list for college students on spring break. You should have no problems at all.

We sailed NCL out of New Orleans during the Louisiana college spring break. We did notice a few more groups of college students. They handed us a letter upon boarding about "sailing during spring break" and the ships expectations of passengers. The ship hired 2 uniformed NO police officers that sailed with us. We only saw them wandering the ship in the evenings. We went to bed about 11 pm each night. If anything "exciting" happened, we missed it. We did not see "drunks" wandering the halls or being really loud. I did not hear anyone else on the ship complaining about the college students. NCL did a great job trying to make this cruise enjoyed by all.

boulders - I really have to address your ("think 80's and 90's") quote. It was rude and insensitive. Have you ever been on an HAL cruise? I have - three times. Each cruise, I saw 20's on a Honeymoon, 30's with kids (my 30's with no kids LOVED the cruise!), 40's and 50's celebrating Anniversaries, large theme groups, and just people in general. I think your "80 and 90" inclusion was very offensive. For several years, I've done volunteer work with a local Assisted Living facility and its affiliated Nursing Home, where the clients actually are in their 80's and 90's....and they don't cruise! Many of them don't have families and appreciate anyone who spends time with them. They appreciate anyone who sits with them, listens to them, reads to them, assists them, takes them to the Dr. or other outings if they are ambulatory, brings them favorite snacks, assist them with meeting with other residents, etc. Our Senior Citizens ("think 80 and 90 year old")....according to YOU) have very special and appreciated lives and memories. If you are VERY LUCKY, you will be among those you apparently state as typical passengers on a HAL cruise. I think your post was unnecessary and demeaning. Shame on you for posting that the typical passenger on HAL is ("think 80's and 90's"), and shame on you for just arbitrarily choosing an age group at your whim. You've never been on a HAL cruise, and I'm personally offended at your reference to "think 80's and 90's" because it's just not true. In the future, please be more considerate of Senior Citizens.

Thanks everyone!!

I was shocked at the "80's-90's" reference as well. We have done HAL 2x before and I am in my mid 30's. HAL folks tend to be on the cruise to enjoy the ports and have excellent service - not to party which is where the false sterotype of passenger age comes from.

Older folks are great to cruise with as they are not in a hurry, enjoy seeing young well behaved children (for the most part!!) and provide us "younger" folks with something to aspire too - cruising in retirement!!:D

Archived