Additional tipping

Silvermist

$0.00 is perfectly acceptable if you are paying the daily service charge. That includes an appropriate tip to your cabin steward for doing his job. There really is no need to tip anything extra for all the stuff that he's supposed to do. Truly, you will not burn in hell if you don't hand over even more money, because you have already tipped him enough and he is being properly paid for his job.

Yes, you and others are correct but, the OP stated they thought it sounded like a good idea and it's evident it's something they want to do. They are asking how much extra would be acceptable not IF they should do it.;):)

As others have stated, even if you hand your room steward an additional amount, they will put it in a pool that will be split among everyone else. Another thought that friends of mine do is to give their room steward a pre-paid international phone card (usually for $10 or $20) so that this doesn't get split and allows for something a little more useful. After all, $20 split with 500 other cabin stewards isn't much.

I always fill out a glowing review comment card for my cabin stewards as this helps when it comes raise time!

They are asking how much extra would be acceptable not IF they should do it.
The point is this: As $0.00 would be acceptable, then any amount above that cannot be unacceptable if they really want to do it (as I too do, sometimes).

It's not a case of $0.00 extra tip is acceptable because you've paid the daily service charge, but $5.00 is unacceptably small, though $10.00 would be back in the acceptable range. That just wouldn't make any sense.

I don't look at it like a bribe, I just feel that it is showing your appreciation for their work..

Seems to me if you give someone money before they do anything for you, it's a bribe. You show your "appreciation for their work" after they do "their work." Sorry: It's a bribe. By tipping someone before they do anything for you, you are in effect telling them you don't trust them to do their job unless you first show them some money. Very demeaning, if you ask me.

Seems to me if you give someone money before they do anything for you, it's a bribe. You show your "appreciation for their work" after they do "their work." Sorry: It's a bribe. By tipping someone before they do anything for you, you are in effect telling them you don't trust them to do their job unless you first show them some money. Very demeaning, if you ask me.

Well put.

The point is this: As $0.00 would be acceptable, then any amount above that cannot be unacceptable if they really want to do it (as I too do, sometimes).

It's not a case of $0.00 extra tip is acceptable because you've paid the daily service charge, but $5.00 is unacceptably small, though $10.00 would be back in the acceptable range. That just wouldn't make any sense.

Dissect or analyze it all you want. The OP asked a very simple question.

As others have stated, even if you hand your room steward an additional amount, they will put it in a pool that will be split among everyone else.

And many have said that what they get in cash, if the DSC has not been removed, it does not have to put into a pool.

Another thought that friends of mine do is to give their room steward a pre-paid international phone card (usually for $10 or $20) so that this doesn't get split and allows for something a little more useful. After all, $20 split with 500 other cabin stewards isn't much.

I always fill out a glowing review comment card for my cabin stewards as this helps when it comes raise time!

Phone cards have been discussed many times on various boards and they are not necessarily a good idea. One never knows if the kind they give to the crew will be usuable for where they are calling. They can end up being a total waste.

The comment cards are one of the best things that can be done for the crew.:)

I really didn't mean for such a simple (at least I thought it was simple) question to turn into a debate between members. I apologize for that. I thank everybody for their input, but I believe that I'll keep my ideas and questions to myself from now on. :( Since this seems to be agreeable to everybody, I'll say that I will definitely be filling out the comment cards for excellent service and I'm grateful for that suggestion.

I really didn't mean for such a simple (at least I thought it was simple) question to turn into a debate between members. I apologize for that. I thank everybody for their input, but I believe that I'll keep my ideas and questions to myself from now on. :( Since this seems to be agreeable to everybody, I'll say that I will definitely be filling out the comment cards for excellent service and I'm grateful for that suggestion.

Silvermist

I hope you have a fun cruise.

Just try to remember its Freestyle Cruising.

Your free to do whatever.

Don't get scared off....some topics just go haywire.;):)

Being from Europe, and less accustomed to tipping, is this always helpful info.

Reading the posts, we might have overtipped, (always better than being cheap rigth?).

offtopic question;

do you tip on restaurants, bars, hairdressers ect. always 20%?,

and what to you tip when there's already a service charge on the bill?

We have been 4 times in the States the last 4 years, but we still can't figure out properly :rolleyes:

Being from Europe, and less accustomed to tipping, is this always helpful info.

Reading the posts, we might have overtipped, (always better than being cheap rigth?).

offtopic question;

do you tip on restaurants, bars, hairdressers ect. always 20%?,

and what to you tip when there's already a service charge on the bill?

We have been 4 times in the States the last 4 years, but we still can't figure out properly :rolleyes:

20% is on the high end. Wait staff in a restaurant that are not attentive may get 10% from me. 15% for good service. 20% for very good. Bartenders usually $1 per round unless it is a larger order.

Sorry I'm a little thin on hairdresser info.

If there is a service charge in place ( such as on board ship ) an additional tip is not necessary but will be appreciated if given.

Archived