Where to find the best deals?

siki00

From the Community Manager of Cruise Critic..

Community Guideline Regarding Travel Agent Recommendations

The third-party recommendation of travel agents and agencies is not allowed on Cruise Critic's Message Board forums.

Posts recommending travel agents, travel agencies, cruise-only agencies, travel/cruise brokers, or any other source where consumer can purchase travel will be removed from the boards. This also includes any comments included in signatures requesting members to e-mail you for information about your travel agencies.

Additionally, posts by members requesting such information will be removed.

However, the general discussion of the merits of using a BRICK AND MORTAR AGENCY, an INTERNET CRUISE AGENCY or purchasing from the CRUISE LINE DIRECTLY will be allowed. No recommendations for any travel source will be allowed.

Travel agents who participate on the boards are still encouraged to include their company name in their signature. We believe it is in our member's best interest to know which members are travel agents -- so you can best judge the content of their posts. (Travel Agents may not request members to e-mail them for information, or include contact information of any kind in their signatures or posts).

However, Cruise Critic reserves the right to rescind the above in the event travel agents/agencies abuse this privilege.

It is unfortunate that we must make this change, but it has become clear to us that the majority of posts are created either by the travel agency themselves or by members who are driving traffic to certain travel agencies.

We anticipate your cooperation, and thank you for your participation.

Laura

Laura, what is a "brick and mortar" agency? One of the ones that sells or buys cruises (like when banks sell mortgages and such?)? So you get a discounted rate but aren't really dealing w/the agency who buys your cruise? Just wondered if this is what they call those types.

Quick FYI:

Laura = Community Administrator/Owner

Largin = Valuable Poster copying Laura's rules for you.

You can certainly ask about different cruiselines, just be prepared for the fact that everyone here has their favorites!

Duh. Yeah, I should have realized what brick and motar meant!

Just for the record, we've NEVER been able to find a local agency to match the discounted companies we see on the net. And believe me, we've tried! And before that, we used the ones we'd see advertised on the travel channel or in the paper. The big, 800# ones. The savings is usually significant. But sometimes you get better upgrades and price adjustments through the crusielines themselves, or so I've heard, if the ship doesn't fill. With all the new rules being instituted about discounting by the various lines, I don't know if this will continue to be true, however.

There is so much discussion on this. I will tell you upfront that I am a ta supporter, a good ta is worth their weight in gold and can not only save you money but make what could be a good experience into a great one with her travel knowledge.

They have access to much of which the public does not have, including hundreds of weekly specials that drop right into their lap. They know the ships, they know what ship is best suited for a wheelchair, where the key cabins, whens the best time of the year for pricing deals.

Travel is a very competative world and with the new pricing regulation, many companies have had to resort to other measures to court clients. Not to mention every tom dick and harriette thinks they know all about travel simply because they can book a cabin on yahoo!! Large companies also book groups of cabins and offer group rates to the general public, so that could be where some of your discounts come into play.

In any case, whom ever you are considering, read the fine print. Some ta's do not surcharge, some do. Some do not charge a cancellation fee, some do, in all fairness if you've asked them to research and book then change your mind and want to cancel you should not be adverse to paying a cancellation feel when they've performed the service you requested. It's all man hours and you did take up their time and created an expense. Some companies charge a fee for changing payment types, put your deposit down on a credit card but want to pay your final with a check - it costs extra, will they price adjust if your fare goes down, are they the type where you have to know what you want tell them and aLL they do is punch it in the computer or do you want someone to discuss options and explain differences so you can find the best cruise match for your taste. They're all different.

And so are travelors. What is important to you may not be important to someone else so to try and define the best deal, because worth is far more than pricing alone, can be very hard to define.

We cannot discuss TA's here on line but if you want to email me I am happy to off line. Tinsel57@hotmail.com

Archived