Spring Break Horror Stories?

johnsan

I just had this horrible picture hit me: a ship full of college students on spring break, making it wild and out of control for my family and I. I'm cruising on March 27, 2005 on RCCL Rhapsody of the Sea out of Galveston. It's my kid's spring break. Has anyone had problems on the ship with an overload of crazy college students?

Fingers crossed,

John

FYI here is a list of some of the Colleges and Universities on break the week of your cruise. Numbers to the right are total enrollment of the school.

Alliant International University 3,600

Auburn University 22,500

Bard College 1,450

Berkeley College 4,500

Birmingham-Southern College 1,400

Brown University 7,800

Gulf Coast Community College 8,000

Harvard University 19,500

Hope International University 1,000

Lindenwood University 15,000

Northwest Michigan College 4,000

San Diego State University 32,050

UAB 16,400

UCLA 38,600

University of Alabama 19,600

University of Delaware 20,200

Whittier College 1,550

William Jessup University 450

TOTAL 217,600

Charlie

John - My husband and I had a spring break nightmare cruise 2 years ago. However, it was NOT the college crowd that was the problem!!! It was the younger kids whose parents had the attitude "it's my vacation, I don't care what my kids are doing". We were with a group of about 40 people on the cruise; none of them had problems with the college crowd, it was always the younger kids who didn't have much to do but wander aimlessly and bother others. Our experience was not on RCI, but on Carnival. (I'm NOT slamming Carnival here, only stating a fact.) Don't worry about the college crowd....we actually found them to be a great source of entertainment and comic relief!

Good luck and Happy travels!

Believe me. You don't find all THAT many college aged kids on the nicer, wk. long cruises. Why? Well, some can't afford a cruise other than a 3 day one - and there you may see more. And under 21 yr. olds can't occupy a cabin w/out someone 25 or over on most lines. Or they don't want to cruise w/their families because they want to do the Cancun/Acapulco/Panama City/ Daytona/ Padre Is. type college crowd spring breaks. There are some, but generally you see more younger kids, jr. high and high school aged kids. Mostly w/families, I might add. We are HOPING there are at least a couple on our next cruise. But aren't too optimistic as it's a 10 day one that isn't on one of the more kid-oriented lines, and most spring breaks - even my DD's who will be w/us w/out friends along for the first time! - aren't that long.

Just elaborating on what's previously been stated...most colleges have spring break in the first couple weeks of March and most of the kids choose to go to FL, Mexico, Bahamas, Jamaica, etc. Also if they are under 21, they have to be accompanied by someone over 25. Basically, I wouldn't be concerned with drunken college spring breakers ruining your cruise anymore so than I would drunken adults. Young children running amock without their parents and teenagers who feel they're too old for the kid's program is another story. It's probably going to be around the time of spring break for elementary and high schools.

UT,UofH A&M and Baylor are out the week of the 14th.

Rice is out the 7th-11th.I would say 98% of all public and private schools(in Texas) are out either of these two weeks as well.

Rhapsody is mainly a Texan ship...but during the months of March and April..It will have a lot of kids at different times.But it has never been known to have a "party" atmosphere.

Have fun.

Archived