More Questions from a HAL virgin

ab0si

Lots of information in this forum and helpful answers to my prior questions. Thanks!

A few more ...

I will be on the Amsterdam (the Oud, not the Nieuw).

Shower/Sauna/Exercise room. I understand that the steam room is part of the thermal spa, but was told that there is a sauna in the men's locker room/shower area. Assuming I have this correct, is there a charge for using this area and/or the exercise room? Does it have the same (to me, restricted) hours as the thermal spa area?

Hot water: I assume hot water is available in the Lido for making tea. Is this HOT (like 180 F)? Reason for asking: I am a coffee snob and if truly hot water is available, I can make my own easily enough with my AeroPress.

Tipping: Does HAL restrict tipping individual crew members (this would be in addition to the $11/day hotel fee -- or whatever HAL calls it). I'd like to directly tip those who do something special for me (like get me really hot water <grin>).

Trivia: I will be traveling with my brother and his family. They are trivia freaks. Can anyone tell me what time of day the trivia contests are? (if there aren't any, that would be even better <grin>).

thanks again

There is hot water in the Lido in the big coffee/tea machine. You'll have no problem.

You can tip anyone you want. As long as you leave the $11 auto-tip in place, that person gets the tip. We always carry about $50 in ones for that very purpose.

First question: I have no idea.

Does HAL restrict tipping individual crew members (this would be in addition to the $11/day hotel fee -- or whatever HAL calls it). I'd like to directly tip those who do something special for me (like get me really hot water <grin>).

Trivia: I will be traveling with my brother and his family. They are trivia freaks. Can anyone tell me what time of day the trivia contests are? (if there aren't any, that would be even better <grin>).

thanks again

No restrictions on added tipping, although you may be about to get more answers to this question than you can possibly imagine.;)

Please don't consider removing the service charge.

Trivia was twice a day IIRC ... once in the morning and once in the afternoon most days.

No restrictions on added tipping, although you may be about to get more answers to this question than you can possibly imagine.;)

Please don't consider removing the service charge.

Trivia was twice a day IIRC ... once in the morning and once in the afternoon most days.

As I wrote in my original post .. the tips would be in addition to the service charge.

EGAD, two trivia contests a day? this might a rare cruise for me -- looking forward to the days in port. :)

LVSue: thanks.

I like trivia, and usually there's only one "regular" trivia a day, usually sometime in the afternoon, although the time sometimes changes in port.

There can be a second "trivia" contest with a specific food theme in the cooking area, attached to a cooking lecture. There's also a written trivia test in the library every day. I like to get a copy to take to happy hour every day for us to guess. Of course, we don't "win", as the written test ends pretty early in the day. We just play for fun...

I've never seen two regular trivia's per day, there is always a thundering herd for it, and a lot of time it's held in the Crows nest...I'm always afraid the ship will tip over...:D

Having sailed quite a bit on HAL -- it is rare when there are 2 trivia games in a day. If there is -- one might be by the party planner on food -- another might be by the Piamo Man -- late in the evening on music.

We tip extra at the end of the cruise to those who have made our cruise an enjoyable one.

Aero Press -- is this some kind of a special coffee machine that you would use in your cabin? If so -- be aware that irons, coffee machines, etc., are not allowed in HAL cabins -- fire hazzard.

I don't use the sauna -- can't answer that question.

The gym is free -- 6 AM to about 10 PM on most ships. There is a $12 fee per class for specials like spinning, pilates, ect.

As a 'press' coffee maker isn't electrically powered, doesn't generate heat, this isn't an issue. Even I, a non-coffee drinker, know that. We did see another passenger bring her 'press' coffee maker to the Lido several times on our last cruise, so the water must have been hot enough for her needs.

Mary Ellen: thanks! I know I'm crazy, but several cups of Sumatra Mandheling makes me happy and MUCH nicer to be around. :) I can get by without Belgian beer and I can eat PB&Js if the food service and I don't get along. But my coffee is a different matter.

Krazy: thanks for the information. As Mary Ellen wrote, a press does not use electricity -- hence my need for HOT water. :) The no heat generating appliance rule is, I think, universal on ships. At least one hopes that it is.

Good news that the gym is open at 6. One can hope that means the sauna is available then, also (since i is in the locker room). I love starting the day with a light workout followed by a steam or sauna and shower (ok, I admit after coffee)

thanks again

Archived