athens airport hotels

vintagebabe

hi there, looks like our best price for airfare will put us into Athens airport at 1210am. Does any body have any feedback on the Sofitel Hotel at the airport. Looks like you can just walk into the hotel from the airport. We have one day in Athens before boarding our cruise in Pireus. Is it a quick and easy metro ride into Athens from the airport area for sightseeing during the day? Or way too far out from the central core for Athens sightseeing.

I was just thinking it would be easier to walk into the airport from the hotel than trying to find a taxi at 1230am

Terri

The metro runs into the city from the airport as does bus #X95 which runs every few minutes 24/7 to Syntagma square.

You are going to have to go back for your luggage unless you can find a place in the city to store it. I would opt to take the bus when you arrive. It is easily found at the departures area and costs about 4 Euros. It has places for luggage. Then you can check into a hotel in the city and they will keep your luggage for the day.

The bus is an express bus and just as fast as a cab.

Agree with Maryann ... if you want to sightsee in Athens on the day of your cruise, I would take the airport bus to Syntagma Square upon arrival at the airport. (Taxis get quite expensive after midnight, and the metro stops running between ~midnight to 5 a.m.) A hotel within walking distance of Syntagma would be a good choice. The next day you can spend a few hours exploring before heading to Piraeus.

We took the airport bus (to the airport) at 3 a.m. I was concerned about walking the few blocks from our hotel to Syntagma square at that time of night, but was assured by locals on Tripadvisor that it wouldn't be a problem ... and it wasn't. I'm always amazed by cities that have more pedestrian and traffic activity in the middle of the night than our city does in the daytime.:)

If you stay at the airport and take the metro into the historic centre of Athens, you'll either have to bring your luggage with you (storing it while you sightsee will be a problem), or leave it at the Sofitel and return (2 x 40 minute metro rides, plus the trip to the port.) This seems really impractical. Alternatively, if you stay at the Sofitel and don't go into Athens, you'll be missing some amazing sites (unless you've already been there).

p.s. Terri ... did I misunderstand, i.e. do you have two nights in Athens including the arrival night, or just the one night prior to your cruise?

Hi Susan,

We would arrive at 1210am on 5/25(but would have to book a hotel on the night of 5/24/10 since we get in very early, so that we can sleep for 5 or so hours to refresh.

So I was thinking of staying at the airport hotel that early morning of the 25th to sleep at bit AND the evening of the 25th. And check out on the morning of the 26 to head out to Pireus for the cruise. So, leave the luggage at the hotel (since we would have the room still) head out to Athens on the metro, come back that evening, sleep, then wake up in the morning to go to Pireus.

As we have not traveled there in the past, I was hoping for some help on the logistics. WOuld it work??

I would just like to avoid taking a taxi at 1am into Central Athens. But am open to suggestions

Terri

Hi Terri,

I would try to stay in the historic centre of Athens - it will make your trip much more enjoyable. Can you get an earlier flight? You mentioned the best price was for the flight coming in at 12:10, but if it's not a lot more to come in earlier, it will be money well spent. Even if you arrive at 12:10, it's only going to be a difference of about 40-45 minutes between the time that you check into the Sofitel or into a hotel in the historic centre of Athens. Well worth that extra bit of lost sleep to wake up on the 25th in a hotel where you can walk out the door and to the Acropolis.:)

If you do stay at the Sofitel, the trip between the airport and Syntagma Square is 40 minutes by metro. To go into Athens and back to the airport on the 25th, and then have half a day to kill at the Sofitel on the morning of the 26th won't be very enjoyable IMO.

If you do have to take the flight arriving at 12:10, you could stay at the Sofitel one night and then move to a hotel in Athens on the second night, but that's a lot of time wasted checking in and out of hotels. My choice would be to take the airport bus that night and stay at a hotel in Athens. A taxi will be faster, but probably about 50 euros. If you are checking hotels in Athens, ask what the approximate taxi fare would be at that time of night. We stayed at the AVA (really enjoyed it) ... this is the info they give on distance from airport & Piraeus to the hotel, along with approximate taxi fares. Click here (and then on the chart at the bottom of of that page) and here

We had an early flight out and had to be at the airport at 4 a.m. We considered staying at the Sofitel for the last night of our 3 night stay, but decided against it. It was a good decision.:)

The airport bus is great. We took three trips on it. We stayed in a wonderful budget hotel, the Attalos, walking distance from Syntagma Square. It has a rooftop bar with a fantastic view of the Acropolis. I know they have luggage storage.

We also had to be at the airport by 4:00 and the 2:30 bus got us there too early.

You have been given great advice.

Do yourself a favor and follow it.

In addition even if you take a taxi to the center (Syndagma square), pay 40 -60 euro,you will find great accommodations with in walking distance to the sites,

breakfast included, at less what you will pay at the Sofitel for 2 nights taxi fare included.At worse ,and depending on the hotel you choose,you will break even.

At best you can be 100 euro ahead even though you took a taxi in from the airport.

It will take 30 min that early in the morning to get your hotel in the center.

By the way a couple weeks ago on my taxi ride to the airport from the center at 4 am the taxi meter showed 33 euro .

This for a radio taxi (prearranged = 5 euro extra) I gave him 40 and he was very happy.Expect to pay 10 euro more from the airport,

and do not worry the taxi line at the airport is right outside baggage claim.You actually have to cross it if you are heading to Sofitel.

This late at night after a long flight I would take the cab to town,get up late morning and walk out the door to the sites.

You will have the added advantage that if you get tired mid day you can be back to your hotel relaxing in 15 - 20 min and walk out to back to the sites and town in the evening.

If you stay at the airport and want to rest a bit you are facing a 1 hour trip to town ,an hour trip to your room ,an hour trip back to town ,

and an hour trip back to the hotel to go to sleep.

Choose a Hotel close to or in Plaka and you will be very happy.

I am just trying to convince you to stay down town,I am not knoking the bus service to the airport,which is comfy, efficient,

innexpensive,drops you off right in the middle of everything,AND is very fast this late at night.

This late at night after a long flight I would take the cab to town,get up late morning and walk out the door to the sites.

I agree. After I posted above I rethought my advice to take the bus (but I had gone out and couldn't repost, so I'm glad you made the suggestion). At that time of night and not being familiar with where you are, a taxi makes much more sense.

I would trust a public bus with other passengers to be very safe.

I agree ... I wouldn't be concerned re safety on the bus, although it's still important to watch your belongings.

In recommending the taxi, I was thinking of the times we've gotten off of public buses and subways from the airport in the daytime in various cities and trying to become oriented with where we are in relation to the hotel. If the hotel was in very close proximity to the bus stop across from Syntagma square, it would be fairly easy to find your way. But the streets (esp. in the Plaka) can be rather confusing & trying to find a hotel a few blocks away in the dark could be frustrating and possibly a little unnerving.:)

I would trust a public bus with other passengers to be very safe.

This is a public bus that is a dedicated service back and forth to the airport.It is not like the rest of the public buses in Athens.Think of it as a courtecy rental shuttle at a US airport.It a a long 3 door bus with luggage space in the middle of the bus by the middle door.Being a dedicated service from the airport the only people on it are travelers and airport employees.I have never, heard of any crime reported on this bus ,including pick pocketing.The pick pocket "experts" prefer a mass transit that allows them to get on and off easily,and one that allows them to be roaming the lines up and down on the cheap(metro green line).This bus only stops to drop off passengers on the way from the airport,they will be trapped on it.

While it a wise idea to always keep an eye on your stuff,this is the last place in Athens I would worry about something not being safe,and Athens is among the safest places in Europe ,if not the safest.

Walking at 2am in downtown Athens near Syndagma is safer than walking at any time of the day on Michigan, or Fifth avenues in the US.

Okay, took everyone's advice and booked Hotel Adonis in Plaka in May 2011. Haven't booked our airfare yet(but will soon), so don't know exactly what time we will arrive. But the least expensive that I can see so far arrives at 1210am. Our cruise is in late May.

What is the name of the bus or bus service that is dedicated to go from Airport to central Athens? Does it run 24 hours a day?

Thanks everyone,

Terri

Okay, took everyone's advice and booked Hotel Adonis in Plaka in May 2011. Haven't booked our airfare yet(but will soon), so don't know exactly what time we will arrive. But the least expensive that I can see so far arrives at 1210am. Our cruise is in late May.

What is the name of the bus or bus service that is dedicated to go from Airport to central Athens? Does it run 24 hours a day?

Thanks everyone,

Terri

Χ95

Buy your ticket either at the booth right outside arrivals by the bus stop(s),or from the driver on the bus (have a ten euro bill available if buying two tickets.).

Validate your ticket by inserting arrow side first(two small triangles on the narrow side of the ticket),in the yellow or orange box behind the driver.

If not the fine is 60 times the face value of the ticket .No excuse will get you off ,you will end up paying the fine.

Here is the timetable as of now.

AIRPORT - SYNTAGMA (EXPRESS)

HOUR MIN

7 Days

05 25 45

06 00 25 35 50

07 05 15 25 35 50

08 00 10 25 35 45 55

09 10 20 30 40 50

10 05 15 25 40 50

11 00 10 25 35 50

12 00 15 30 40 50

13 05 15 25 40 50

14 05 15 30 40 55

15 05 15 30 40 55

16 05 20 30 40 55

17 05 20 30 40 55

18 05 20 30 45 55

19 05 20 30 45 55

20 05 20 30 45 55

21 10 20 35 50

22 05 20 35 50

23 05 20 35 50

24 05 15 30 45

01 00 15 30 45

02 00 15 35 55

03 15 35

04 00 20 45

I took the airport bus just a couple of weeks ago. It was so easy, even with my luggage (one suitcase and one carry-on), it really can't be beat IF it's convenient to your hotel.

You say you booked a hotel in the Plaka, but the bus only goes to Syntagma Square. If you are arriving at 12:10 am, you may want to rethink your hotel and book one near Syntagma. Otherwise, you'll be either dragging your luggage a long way or still will need to get a taxi at Syntagma to your hotel.

Yes this is correct.Finding the hotel is real easy.

Two ways to go .One has you going half the distance up hill,the other is 100 yards longer but flat.

1. When you get off the bus on Othonos street go down hill on the same side of the road cross the street and continue 2 blocks down to Voulis street where you turn left and continue to the hotel which is where Voulis ends and Kodrou starts.The street veers slightly left there.You cannot miss it.

2. When you get off the bus on Othonos street go up hill on the same side of the road about 15 yards to Amalias ave.Turn right on Amalias and continue for two blocks at which point you turn right again on Souri str.There will be a church on your left as you go down the block. Get on that side of the street.Continue crossing at the light in the same direction of travel, and side of the street and Kodrou street will be perpendicular to you 2 streets down .The hotel will be right there.

This way is a little confusing because its last part ,Souri str after you turn, curves slightly to the left and changes names plus splits a block before Kodrou.

It sounds complicated ,but its not.As long as you stay on the same side of the street as the church, with Amalias ave on you back ,and continue on that side of the street regardless if the street curves or splits,you will practically be standing under your hotel 2 blocks down.

The actual streets are;Amalias to right on Souri,next block changing to Nauarchou Nikodimou , next block on the left side always same direction, changing to Ypereidou while veering more left and splitting just as you go past NIKIS street.Kodrou is the next street.

The more I read this the more complicated it sounds .

Its not Just stay left past Souri and you will run on to it.

Archived