converted ncl ship?

bones774

Can't have been the Majesty since she was doing regular runs in 2007 until last year from Charleston. The Dream was doing the runs in Boston but that doesn't explain the Asian decor.

The Asian Decor was on the Spirit. I sailed on her out of New York in 2006. Was not aware she sailed out of Boston. The ship I sailed on out of Boston was the Majesty - on a repositioning cruise that ended in Charleston.

Norwegian Cruise Line pumped millions into Norwegian Spirit during a late-2008 refurb, and the nearly 11-year-old ship emerged from its makeover with its 13 passenger decks practically sparkling. You won't find a rock-climbing wall or bowling alley or some of the other whiz-bang features offered by some of the fleet's bigger, newer ships, but enjoyment doesn't always have to come in an ultra-modern package.

Spirit has 11 restaurants as well as plenty of family features and eight bars and lounges. And it's a lively, friendly ship to boot. It spends its time in sun-seeking destinations, cruising from New Orleans to the Caribbean in winter, from Boston to Bermuda in summer and from Boston to Canada & New England in the fall. Starting in 2011, the ship will homeport year-round in New Orleansand sail Western Caribbean cruises.

The ship debuted in October 1998 as Malaysia-based Star Cruises' SuperStar Leo. As such, Norwegian Spirit was designed for the Asian market; Star Cruises is the Far East's biggest cruise line as well as the owner of NCL (along with Apollo Management). Sister ship, SuperStar Virgo, still cruises around Southeast Asia out of Singapore.

Transferred to NCL in 2004, Norwegian Spirit still boasts a pleasing, Asia-inspired decor that includes artifacts on display -- an antique vase here, a mannequin in Samurai costume there (little museum-like plaques tell you what's what). Staircases have wood and iron railings, the atrium boasts glass elevators and waterfalls, and the color palette is more mellow than over-the-top (no neon tones as on newer NCL vessels). The overall effect is that Norwegian Spirit feels like a fancier ship. Excellent service enhances the experience -- from the moment you board, there are touches of pampering.

During its 2008 renovation, the ship was outfitted with a new diesel engine, and 11 cabins were added (eight with balconies). The Stardust Theater got new red-velvet seats, and nearly all the upholstery and carpeting on the ship was replaced. (The carpet in cabin hallways varies by deck, so you can tell you're on the right one by looking at the carpet color.) Also added were a new phone system and wireless Internet access.

But the biggest change is that teens now control the Celebrity Disco, giving them their own private hideaway on Deck 13, at the opposite end of the ship from the younger kids' facilities -- something teens will, no doubt, hold over their younger siblings. The video arcade has also moved, from Deck 10 to a more prominent spot on Deck 7, and is geared toward the teen crowd with games like Downhill Bikes and Target Terror.

But the thing we enjoyed most on this ship was its lighthearted attitude and a prevailing sense of humor. Example? A Captain's invite read "free drinks on the Captain (we mean, with the Captain

....and will so miss her sailing out of Boston!!!!! My wife and I agreed that she was our favorite all around ship! She is definately the one your BIL was talking about...the only one refurbished from an Asian-run liner.

The Majesty sailed out of Boston prior to the Spirit. She was kind of a tired old ship, but we loved her too!

I'm psyched for the Dawn's Boston to Bermuda itinerary next year, though! I hope she lives up to our expectations! We've yet to have a bad NCL cruise.

I've not been on the Jewel, but we've sailed on the Pearl (twice) and on the Gem....and loved them both!

Bon Voyage!

thank you, glad to see some people can comprehend. Don't know why that poster would need to put their .02cents in to start flaming. Just looking for trouble, I guess.

Slow down, the poster did not flame the OP. Please reread the quote....

Exactly right. In my opinion, it's NCL's most attractive ship. I won't comment on the taste of anyone who thinks Spirit is "tacky."

The poster stated that the ship is the most attractive. And said in general will not comment on anyone that calls it tacky. The OP did not mention the decor at all. I tend to agree with sottovoce, I loved the SPIRIT and thought she was beautiful.

~Intrepid <-- clears the air.

My BIL cruised on a NCL ship 2-3 years ago, overall he said it was OK, but stated that the ship was reconverted from an Asian line(?) and that the rooms were not the best and kinda small. This was out of Boston. It might be kinda tacky to ask him about it now, but is anyone familiar with this ship? Is this correct? Are any other of the fleet converted? I'm thinking of cruising the Jewel in November.

Thanks

It was the Spirit and the ship is very nice I will add. Yes, the cabins are a little small, whcih, btw is pretty typical for NCL ships period. With that I will add, the Spirit is the favorite of many NCL loyalist because of the crew and the decor. Oh, and that Asian line he was referring to is the Star lines which owns 1/2 of NCL.

the Jewel is an awesome ship and the first of NCLs Jewel class. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Nita

The Norwegian Majesty sailed out of Boston a few years ago, we sailed on it when it was the Royal Majesty. The cabins were so small you had to step outside to change your mind. When Norwegian bought it they cut it in half and added an extension in the common areas. We sailed on it again as the Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda. Because it was a smaller ship it could get into St. Georges harbor. We were told that the Majesty would be sold to another line, and NCL would only have larger ships going into the Bermuda Dockyards.

2 years ago I think the Spirit was doing the sailing out of Boston, but I could be wrong.

Nita

Slow down, the poster did not flame the OP. Please reread the quote....

The poster stated that the ship is the most attractive. And said in general will not comment on anyone that calls it tacky. The OP did not mention the decor at all. I tend to agree with sottovoce, I loved the SPIRIT and thought she was beautiful.

~Intrepid <-- clears the air.

When I first read that post I gave the flamer the benefit of the doubt as you say but when another poster saw it the same way I did, i responded to thank them. In hindsight I do believe the original flamer was attacking me, especially using a word that i used and surrounding it with quotation marks. Since it was used only be me and then quoted in this thread it was an attack. Is it hard to believe that people read things the way they want and look to start trouble? Perhaps if we were to look at that posters other threads we would see their true colors. Thanks

We were on board with Pat and I agree with her about the Jewel.

We sailed the Spirit in 2006. I'd have to call NCL to see if they could tell me what cabin number we had, but I would say our cabin was a bit smaller than the one we had on Jewel and would say a really small balcony compared to that on the Jewel. On board Spirit it was a running joke that your knees banged the wall when you sat on the toilet but the Jewel's bathroom is kind of tight too. The 2008 refurb sounds like they really spruced her up. I did find the pool on the Spirit to be larger than some of the other ships we've been on. We had done the Dawn in 2005 so I think we were looking for a similar ship when we booked the Spirit. We had a great cruise on the Spirit and even met up with crew members who had been on board the Dawn the year before and recognized us.

The Jewel is a lovely ship and has a fantastic crew you will not be disappointed.

Kathy

I liked sailing on the Norwegian Spirit. Without getting into how beautiful ships are decorated, and whether which one is better than the others, I will say the decor of the Spirit is far different from all other ships within the NCL fleet. The problem I have with trying to be up with the latest fads in decor is that fads fade away fairly quickly which dates a ship. I would prefer traditional decors based upon regions, like Asia, Hawaiian, Greek, Italian, Danish, French, Western, etc......That way a decor lasts longer before it gets out of date, the same can be said for clothing styles too.

I have had read some Europeans suggest that NCL change the Hawaiian decor on the Jade, suggesting that a Polynesia theme decor isn't appropriate for Europe, which I must admit rubs me the wrong way. How many Americans have you read here suggest the Asian theme decor on the Spirit be changed since it now sails from America?

I suggest having different decor schemes is great! It adds variety and adds spice to life.

As for which ships are in NCL's fleet today that was initially designed and constructed for a different cruise line, you might be surprised how long that list is.....

Norwegian Sky was designed and started construction for Costa Cruises.

Norwegian Sun designed is based upon the Sky.

Norwegian Spirit was designed, constructed, and enter services for Star Cruises.

Norwegian Star was designed and started construction for Star Cruises.

Norwegian Dawn was designed and started construction for Star Cruises

Pride of America was designed and started construction for Hawaiian American Cruise Line.

That's 6 of 11 ships in NCL's fleet today that was converted for NCL use.

Archived