Cadiz to Jerez

neverenoughtime

We will be in Cadiz on a Friday from 10am to 7pm. Since it seems we will get a late start, we are thinking about skipping Seville and going to Jerez instead. We'd like to try some of the winery's and such. What is the best way to get to Jerez for do-it-yourself'ers? What bodega's can you recommend? Anything else I shouldn't miss? Thanks!:)

We will be in Cadiz on a Friday from 10am to 7pm. Since it seems we will get a late start, we are thinking about skipping Seville and going to Jerez instead. We'd like to try some of the winery's and such. What is the best way to get to Jerez for do-it-yourself'ers? What bodega's can you recommend? Anything else I shouldn't miss? Thanks!:)

[/quote

Below you will find the timetable of the trains from Cadiz to Jerez, the trip takes 45-50 minutes, also a link showing the web pages of some of the bodegas where you can find visiting times..

I have been to bodegas Domecq and it was a great

tour

Enjoy!!!.

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/point_to_point/portionresult.htm

http://www.andalucia.com/cities/jerez/sherrybodegas.htm

Train is easy, tho the station at Jerez isn't very convenient.

Lots of sherry bodegas offer tours costing just a few euros.

You may also be interested in the exhibits at http://www.realescuela.org/ing/home.htm There're a show at noon on fridays.

The Sandeman bodega is just a few steps from it.

John Bull

Haven't done bodega tour for many years but I totally agree with John Bull about the Royal School - made the hairs on my neck stand up! Beautiful. If you have the slightest interest in horses - it's a must-do.

We will be in Cadiz November 2011 with an overnight in Cadiz. We plan on going to Seville the first day and returning to the ship that night. We want to visit Jerez the next day (Monday). Problem is the timing. The ship leaves at 3pm (which means getting back to the ship at 2pm, leave Jerez at 1pm). Even if we leave the ship early and take a cab to Jerez, I don't think the bodegas open until 10:30 or 11:00 and the training (no show on Monday) of the horses starts, I think, around 11:00am. Would there be anything to do on a Monday morning in Jerez or would we be better off finding an alternate plan? Also, if we take a cab, are there plenty of cabs at the port and any problems returning from Jerez? We are thinking of pre-booking transportation. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
We will be in Cadiz November 2011 with an overnight in Cadiz. We plan on going to Seville the first day and returning to the ship that night. We want to visit Jerez the next day (Monday). Problem is the timing. The ship leaves at 3pm (which means getting back to the ship at 2pm, leave Jerez at 1pm). Even if we leave the ship early and take a cab to Jerez, I don't think the bodegas open until 10:30 or 11:00 and the training (no show on Monday) of the horses starts, I think, around 11:00am. Would there be anything to do on a Monday morning in Jerez or would we be better off finding an alternate plan? Also, if we take a cab, are there plenty of cabs at the port and any problems returning from Jerez? We are thinking of pre-booking transportation. Thanks!

There are tons of cabs at the Cadiz port and you can easily strike a deal with them for return from Jerez. If you are going to Jerez in the morning you see the clock museum. It is very close to the horse show and very neat. As well, although there is no horse show, you might want to check their website to see if they still offer tours and views on the Monday.

depending upon how badly you want to see Seville, an alternate plan would be to go to Jerez on day one and explore Cadiz on day 2. Both are really beautiful. Otherwise, if your ship is leaving at 3, the limited time you will have in Jerez will not be of benefit. You may have to choose between Seville & Jerez. and enjoy Cadiz on day 2.

We were in your predicament last cruise and opted for Jerez. don't forget to catch a flamenco show in Cadiz or Jerez:D They are excellent!

There are tons of cabs at the Cadiz port and you can easily strike a deal with them for return from Jerez. If you are going to Jerez in the morning you see the clock museum. It is very close to the horse show and very neat. As well, although there is no horse show, you might want to check their website to see if they still offer tours and views on the Monday.

depending upon how badly you want to see Seville, an alternate plan would be to go to Jerez on day one and explore Cadiz on day 2. Both are really beautiful. Otherwise, if your ship is leaving at 3, the limited time you will have in Jerez will not be of benefit. You may have to choose between Seville & Jerez. and enjoy Cadiz on day 2.

We were in your predicament last cruise and opted for Jerez. don't forget to catch a flamenco show in Cadiz or Jerez:D They are excellent!

Thanks for the information. We just discovered that we actually dock in Seville. Guess the Prinsendam is small enough to go to Seville. We will be overnighting in Seville so will have plenty of time to explore Seville on our own without worrying about transportation from Cadiz.

Thanks for the information. We just discovered that we actually dock in Seville. Guess the Prinsendam is small enough to go to Seville. We will be overnighting in Seville so will have plenty of time to explore Seville on our own without worrying about transportation from Cadiz.

excellent! even better. enjoy Seville:D

I'd check again, as Seville is about 70 miles from the port at Cadiz. I know that Seville is on a river, but I don't think the Prinsendam is small enough to navigate it.:o

It can be confusing, sometimes, how cruise lines list the port city and 'main city'...as in Seville (Cadiz), or Florence (Livorno)...soemtimes they list the port city, with the main site in brackets, and sometimes, inexpliably, they do it the other way.

Kevin

I'd check again, as Seville is about 70 miles from the port at Cadiz. I know that Seville is on a river, but I don't think the Prinsendam is small enough to navigate it.:o

It can be confusing, sometimes, how cruise lines list the port city and 'main city'...as in Seville (Cadiz), or Florence (Livorno)...soemtimes they list the port city, with the main site in brackets, and sometimes, inexpliably, they do it the other way.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

we are on this cruise and DEFINITELY, the Prisendam sails up the river (which separates Seville) right to practically the old part of town.

The Prisendam is one of the few ships that can do it. Seville port has locks to open up the water to allow the ships in. Not the Panama, but kind of the same theory.

She's a small ship. I have already hit the port of Seville website. she's the only cruise ship coming there for two months and docks at least twice.

so, definitely, unknown to me as we booked and I added advice I didn't realize we were going to be on the same cruise.

It's like a river cruise on that part and probably part of the reason the Prisendam is pricier :cool: But we are looking forward to her. :)

Hi Kevin,

we are on this cruise and DEFINITELY, the Prisendam sails up the river (which separates Seville) right to practically the old part of town.

The Prisendam is one of the few ships that can do it. Seville port has locks to open up the water to allow the ships in. Not the Panama, but kind of the same theory.

She's a small ship. I have already hit the port of Seville website. she's the only cruise ship coming there for two months and docks at least twice.

so, definitely, unknown to me as we booked and I added advice I didn't realize we were going to be on the same cruise.

It's like a river cruise on that part and probably part of the reason the Prisendam is pricier :cool: But we are looking forward to her. :)

Well--I stand corrected!!:o:o:o

I checked the HAL website, and it looks like a fantastic cruise!! (especially as you get an overnight in Seville (not Cadiz ;)...we've been, and decided against the trek to Seville, as it leaves so little actual time to spend there).

We loved Los Arcos de la Frontera...should you make it there, be sure to find the convent...the nuns there make and sell the best cookies!

Here's Rick Steves' on Los Arcos and the Hill Towns. Have a great cruise!

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/spain/arcos.htm

Kevin

Archived