Ambergris Caye beach Belize

jackdiamond

I would greatly appreciate the impressions of anyone who has visited this beach vis-a-vis quality thereof and mode and cost of transportation to and from the pier.

Thank you.

I haven't been to Caye Caulker so I can't compare but we went to Ambergris Caye in 2000 and just loved it. We are seriously thinking about retiring there. I'm not sure what we paid back then but we went straight from the cruiseship. Snorkeled with the sharks & rays then onto San Pedro. Lots of shops, restaurants & bars, all reasonable. Yes it is a long ride but I love boats & the ocean. Madonna sings about Ambergris in "La Isla Bonita" & Jerry Jeff Walker owns a house there.

You can also get to Ambergris Caye either by water taxi or by air. Taxi to the municipal airport (just a few minutes away) and then take a short/cheap/frequent flight to Ambergris Caye. Keep in mind that beaches on both Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker and not great. You really go to those places for the funky atmosphere - not the beaches.

As for the beach itself, you will find it narrow with hard sand, and lots of sea grass. You won't find many people sitting in beach chair or swimming. It's not that kind of place. It's more of a go to a funky beach bar, soak up atmosphere, enjoy a drink, chat with people and look out at the beautiful water kind of place.

I would greatly appreciate the impressions of anyone who has visited this beach vis-a-vis quality thereof and mode and cost of transportation to and from the pier.

Thank you.

Wadethegringo on these boards lives on ambergris Caye. There are a number of small hotels and good restaurants there. Fishing charters too. But you'l not have a lot of time to spend there if you're on a cruise. Maybe as long as the water taxi ride itself. That's why people looking for a local flavor type beach area go to Caye Caulker, it's closer. For the ubitquous Caribbean beach experience, try an excursion to Bannister Island.

• 4 weeks later...

We just came back from a week at AC. AWESOME. We took the Eco tours flight over when cruising on Legend last Jan.

After snorkeling and a wonderful "walk you thru the whole day" experience by Eco, we decided to go back for an OI trip. (on island)

We are so glad we did. The people of Belize are SO friendly and AC is like the Caribbean used to be many years ago.

Don't be afraid to take the taxi to the municiple airport and fly over. They have done this a ga-jillions times and they have many planes to take you over and bring you back. No problem making it back to the ship in time.

They have never had a cruise passenger stranded.

We had to bail out of there a day early a few weeks ago during our trip because of tropical storm Matthew. We basically picked what time and what plane we wanted to fly on. Nothing like flying in the U.S.

If you want more info, email me. mdrobtx@netzero.net

Check my Youtube videos of both our cruise and OI trip to AC.

Search: mdrobtx on Youtube

mdrobtx, I am glad you had a great time in San Pedro.I have a shirt up at B C's. I found aye Caulker on a cruise and fell in love. I now work with Tropiic Air.

jackdiamond, If taking a water taxi I would suggest Caye Caulker. It is a smaller island and the boat trip is 20 minutes shorter each way.

If you fly, the time is only about 5 minutes longer to San Pedro.

mdrobtx, I am glad you had a great time in San Pedro.I have a shirt up at B C's. I found aye Caulker on a cruise and fell in love. I now work with Tropiic Air.

Cool. You are very lucky Wade.

The only thing that might bother me over a long period of time is having only Belikin to drink. Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff. But I tend to want different beers all the time.:p

Cool. You are very lucky Wade.

The only thing that might bother me over a long period of time is having only Belikin to drink. Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff. But I tend to want different beers all the time.:p

On our cruise in August, I thought the same thing.. I looked forward to all the beer available in Miami,Cayman,Roatan and Cozumel. When the ship stopped in Belize we went to have a Belikan and both thought that it was better than what we thought we missed..

On our cruise in August, I thought the same thing.. I looked forward to all the beer available in Miami,Cayman,Roatan and Cozumel. When the ship stopped in Belize we went to have a Belikan and both thought that it was better than what we thought we missed..

Funny, after being back home for a month, now I want a Belikin.

We hung out at Crazy Canucks. Met and befriended the owners who are from Texas like us. We had a blast and many Belikins were downed.

You can also get to Ambergris Caye either by water taxi or by air. Taxi to the municipal airport (just a few minutes away) and then take a short/cheap/frequent flight to Ambergris Caye. Keep in mind that beaches on both Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker and not great. You really go to those places for the funky atmosphere - not the beaches.

As for the beach itself, you will find it narrow with hard sand, and lots of sea grass. You won't find many people sitting in beach chair or swimming. It's not that kind of place. It's more of a go to a funky beach bar, soak up atmosphere, enjoy a drink, chat with people and look out at the beautiful water kind of place.

We have done the "airline" service several times using Maya Island Air and they do a great job, the flight is only about 20 mins and Ambergris Caye is wonderful, especially if you want to snorkel or dive Hol-Chan and Shark Ray Alley.

• 1 month later...

I'll be coming in on the Carnival Glory in February, and there are four of us that want to dive Shark Ray Alley. We also have two non-divers in the group who are wanting to just shop. We're considering booking with EcoTours and have them take us from the port to the airport, etc. But I'm curious. Are there better options? Also, the two non-divers in our group are women. Is San Pedro safe for 2 women? I'd love to hear opinions.

I'll be coming in on the Carnival Glory in February, and there are four of us that want to dive Shark Ray Alley. We also have two non-divers in the group who are wanting to just shop. We're considering booking with EcoTours and have them take us from the port to the airport, etc. But I'm curious. Are there better options? Also, the two non-divers in our group are women. Is San Pedro safe for 2 women? I'd love to hear opinions.

The women will be fine. You may not want to leave. We have families with kids and retired couples and everything in between.

I researched it thoroughly and I couldn't find a better independent option. We decided to just snorkel to have more time to check out San Pedro even though we are both certified divers.

Like Wade said, the women will be fine. The Eco tour rep will point them to in the right direction for shopping, food and beach bars.

Archived