Epic reviews are looking very positive

coffeebean

Interesting question, and very possible. Who knows what wacky thoughts people have in their heads?

Here are my thoughts on this as an observer from a distance:

1. People who have committed to going (bought non-refundable air tickets, can't change vacation days, etc.) are going to have a positive slant, unless they are just a negative person.
  2. People who have cruised, for the most part, are going to be reluctant to say they did not have a great time. Many will, of course, but most people don't like to make mistakes and admit they made a wrong choice, so I see a majority of past cruisers are going to have a positive slant.
  3. The TRUE test, which can NEVER be found in a review, will be found in repeat bookings. When next year rolls around, how many people will be booking again on Epic? Will it ever reach the cult status that Disney has?

The fate of the mega ships won't really be known for a few years, when the "new" factor is gone and people choose whether or not to come back, and what they tell their friends and family about this ship.

My gut feeling is that Epic is not going to do well in the long run, compared to the smaller ships that came before her. I think Epic will eventually be the bottom of the barrel, and not because newer and bigger ships will be built to upstage her (just the opposite.) But only time will tell. I'll wait.

If you are right, I'd hate to be Royal Carribbean, with 2 of the behemoths.

If you are right, I'd hate to be Royal Carribbean, with 2 of the behemoths.

That's a good point.

The difference IMO is how people have initially accepted the two (soon to be three) behemoths. Epic is getting mixed reviews, whereas Oasis is or seems to be sustaining excellent reviews.

I am not sure how long they can sustain it, but RCI needs to somehow continue that vibe for the Oasis class.

I am not sure how long they can sustain it, but RCI needs to somehow continue that vibe for the Oasis class.

Maybe RCI has more cheerleaders! Maybe I will head over there and let them know just what I think of large new ships! Could be lots of fun! :D

Also (and I just posted this over on the RCI board) the RCI brand seems to be more about the ship and less about the cruise. You know, the idea that the ship is the most important part of the cruise and the ocean and the destination is secondary.

I do not buy that at all, but many people swoon over the nicer amenities on the newest ships. I actually prefer the smaller and older ships for a lot of reasons and just laugh at the folks who can't wait to go on a monster. Probably the same people who line up to buy the latest iPhone at midnight when it comes out. I just can't relate to that mentality.

I appreciate your post and your point Mr. Lucky...but in all honesty I don't see how you can challenge that review as "biased" and think that something "unbiased" would stop a rude idiot from acting like a rude idiot.

The man described in that review at the garden cafe is a rude idiot...no amount of positive, negative or indifferent reviews will change that fact.

About 99% of the people who are on cruise critic have at least one cruise under their belt. We all know the buffet at sail away...which is basicall the only restaurant open at that time is going to be crowded....because it is the only time during the entire cruise where EVERY SINGLE PASSENGER OF THE 4700 ABOARD ARE LOOKING TO DO THE SAME THING.........EAT!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing all the pools and hot tubs are filled at that time too......again because every single passenger is on the deck for sailaway. Should the hot tub or pool have a capacity of 4700 because during one two hour period during the cruise every single soul will be up on the pool deck wishing they could go in the pool and swim laps??? No people should learn to be a little more patient.....

Walk down the stairs to La Cuccina for more room to eat...go sit in a lounger and eat....walk up to deck 19 (freestyle deck) and eat topless......

What do you want me to tell you....they don't have 4700 chairs in Garden Cafe.......

You can go to Taste(early), O'Sheehan's, and they even serve some stuff over at H2O. That is a huge improvement over most ships....on every line that ONLY OFFER THE BUFFET FOR SAILAWAY.

I have been on every major line and none of them have an open dining room at sailaway.....

People need to learn to read their "Daily" upon arrival and figure out what options there are.....

As for smoke...I hate it and I will do everything to avoid it...so I walk around a deck...big deal exercise is good for the heart!!!!

You seem to assume those of us with go with the flow attitudes are doing a disservice to the rest of the cruisers who read the reviews..... I disagree.

Its not my job to get everyone on this board all fired up to hate a ship just becasue there was no salt shaker on my table or I had to ask for an extra napkin......

I do volunteer work with special needs children. The children I work with have no mechanism for self soothing, problem solving or any variation from the stated plan.

To tell one of these children "hey.... change of plans we are not eating in garden cafe for lunch" or "there is no chocolate pudding...only vanilla... deal with it" would cause a meltdown on par with catostrophic event or a riot....

For adults or children with severe disabilities and special needs I understand the difficulties assiciated with even a minor change in plans....but for the rest of the adult polulation that is not suffering from any sort of disability or psychological disorder we all need to leaarn to roll with the punches a little better......

and to hear a passenger have a meltdown like that over a dinning table, and to insult and abuse a staff member, there simply is reaon for that type of behavior on a ship or on land....

Its a cruiseship...its not the answer to all your problems....it is simply a vacation from the everyday......

Exactly!!! I had the best time of my life because I CHOSE to!!

Maybe RCI has more cheerleaders! Maybe I will head over there and let them know just what I think of large new ships! Could be lots of fun! :D

Also (and I just posted this over on the RCI board) the RCI brand seems to be more about the ship and less about the cruise. You know, the idea that the ship is the most important part of the cruise and the ocean and the destination is secondary.

I do not buy that at all, but many people swoon over the nicer amenities on the newest ships. I actually prefer the smaller and older ships for a lot of reasons and just laugh at the folks who can't wait to go on a monster. Probably the same people who line up to buy the latest iPhone at midnight when it comes out. I just can't relate to that mentality.

I'd like to cast my vote for the big ones.....ships I mean. I've been on all size ships of the mass market lines. Have to admit...the RCCL Radiance class ships are just gorgeous with their connection to the sea just about everywhere you go in the public spaces on those ships. Their glass elevators along the side of the ship, over looking the ocean is something to behold.

Having said that...I much prefer the larger ships. Love RCCL Voyager and Freedom class. Have not been on Oasis class yet but will certainly do that when prices come down.

I am bouncing off the walls looking forward to boarding EPIC in just over a week. I guess you can laugh and me and DH because he feels the same way. After 30+ cruises on six mass market lines, we are not newbies to cruising. The amenities and entertainment on Epic seem to be just what DH and I love about cruising.

Yes....there's a ship for everyone.

I guess you can laugh and me and DH because he feels the same way. After 30+ cruises on six mass market lines, we are not newbies to cruising. The amenities and entertainment on Epic seem to be just what DH and I love about cruising.

Yes....there's a ship for everyone.

Yes, while some folks love the idea of going to see the Blue Men, I can't remember the last cruise I actually went to any of the evening shows. Just not interested. To each their own, I say.

I like the sea. I want a less crowded ship. You can have your floating NYC and all the people that go with it. Have fun in the buffet and shove someone out of the way for me! :D

I will post my review from the 10/2 Cruise shortly.

But have to say, by FAR the BEST Cruise I have ever been on........

Glad you had a good time. Can't wait for your review. I'll be writing a review when I come back from our Oct. 16th cruise on Epic.

Archived