Driving to Galveston from Kansas

cantwait4cruise

:confused:never thought about leaving at 6am

but one of the other posters mentioned it, I was thinking of leaving lewisville or Denton around 8 830 am that way we would be going thru dallas around 930 or so then is houston/galveston around 230 or so

We usually hit Dallas around 9:30/10:00 and seldom hit traffic. that's a good time; and getting to Houston at that time in the afternoon is fine. BUT let me warn you...Friday afternoons the traffic starts backing up on 45S around 3:30. Lots of people get off work early and head out. I never get on the freeway between 4-5. Luckily I can take the surface streets to avoid mainlane traffic.

And take your time coming through Downtown Houston. There are a couple of exits and onramps that are tricky; and some of the signs are misleading. Just take it easy and keep in the lane you need to be (change lanes when you see the signs for 45S). Most of the major freeways interchange here in downtown. I work in downtown.

thanks for the advice, my hubby will be doing the driving I just don't like being in alot of traffic so during alot of traffic I see me self squeezing the armrest and squeezing my eyes shut really tight LOL we are going on our cruise Jan 8 for who asked

I know we still have time to plan but I wanted to get a plan set so I could reserve a hotel room in advance for the way down.

We usually hit Dallas around 9:30/10:00 and seldom hit traffic. that's a good time; and getting to Houston at that time in the afternoon is fine. BUT let me warn you...Friday afternoons the traffic starts backing up on 45S around 3:30. Lots of people get off work early and head out. I never get on the freeway between 4-5. Luckily I can take the surface streets to avoid mainlane traffic.

And take your time coming through Downtown Houston. There are a couple of exits and onramps that are tricky; and some of the signs are misleading. Just take it easy and keep in the lane you need to be (change lanes when you see the signs for 45S). Most of the major freeways interchange here in downtown. I work in downtown.

we have a TOMTOM that supposedly will adjust route if there is too much traffic well we will see .......

How is Houston and Dallas traffic on Saturday? This is when we will be passing through from Kansas. We plan on driving the whole route on the way down, so we will have little time to see Galveston before the cruise. But, we plan on spending most of post-cruise Sunday seeing some of the sites before driving up to Huntsville for the night. We thought we would rather be through Houston already on Monday moring, to avoid their morning rush hour. It will take some driving time off that day's drive as well.

Traffic in either city won't be that bad on Saturday unless there is an accident. From the routes you Kansan's (did I do that right?) are mentioning, there is no reasonable way to avoid Houston or Dallas without adding unnecessary time to your route. During weekdays, morning rush hour on I 35 is heavy but not horrible. The hardest time frame is 7:30 am to 9 am. As others have mentioned, the HOV lane will be quite helpful. Cutting over from I 35 at 190E to join up with 75S(which takes you to 45S, a straight shot to Galveston) might ease traffic for you. My morning commute is from 190 down 75 to downtown and it's not too gruesome - better than 35.

Traffic in either city won't be that bad on Saturday unless there is an accident. From the routes you Kansan's (did I do that right?) are mentioning, there is no reasonable way to avoid Houston or Dallas without adding unnecessary time to your route. During weekdays, morning rush hour on I 35 is heavy but not horrible. The hardest time frame is 7:30 am to 9 am. As others have mentioned, the HOV lane will be quite helpful. Cutting over from I 35 at 190E to join up with 75S(which takes you to 45S, a straight shot to Galveston) might ease traffic for you. My morning commute is from 190 down 75 to downtown and it's not too gruesome - better than 35.

I will pass this info to my chauffer LOL(my hubby) so does the times that we are planning on sound about right to miss some traffic, we are driving on a friday from denton to galveston so that might make a difference thanks again

Cantwait - if I were you, I would leave Denton around 9 am. You will miss the worst of rush hour. On a Friday, there's just no telling. Depending on potty breaks on the road, you should get to Galveston by 3 pm. It's just impossible to avoid traffic completely but it's not a terrible drive.

We are in NE Oklahoma and drove the same route last year....We leave Miami about 7pm and drive thru the night......No worries with too much traffic. Sure, you always have quite abit in Dallas but @ 2am not too bad at all.....And I love to drive in big cities anyway !!!!!!!!!

Archived