Driving to Galveston from Kansas

cantwait4cruise

We are coming from Kansas and was trying to figure which would be the best route for us to take to get to Galveston without going through Dallas or Houston. Any help on this would be appreciated. We are planning on leaving on the thursday before our cruise and maybe spending the night in Lewisville, just thought I would add that so maybe someone could help us choose the right route Thanks in advance

If you are spending the night in Lewisville, TX, just north of Dallas, here's what I know. We live in North Dallas. Traffic from Lewisville to and through Dallas is going to be extremely difficult after 7 a.m. to about 8:30 a.m. I don't know of a way around it. If it were me, I would plan on leaving Lewisville at 6 a.m. or earlier to avoid any delays. Hope this helps.

If you are spending the night in Lewisville, TX, just north of Dallas, here's what I know. We live in North Dallas. Traffic from Lewisville to and through Dallas is going to be extremely difficult after 7 a.m. to about 8:30 a.m. I don't know of a way around it. If it were me, I would plan on leaving Lewisville at 6 a.m. or earlier to avoid any delays. Hope this helps.

Asumming this is weekday, and if not, no problem!

Leaving Lewisville at 6 a.m.

which would put into Houston midmorning or midday

and with a clean sail to Galveston

what route should we take to miss Dallas completely. We have a hotel reservation for Lewisville but we can change it. We were planning to drive about 5-6 hours thursday night then friday mornind drive the rest of the way into galveston. I was told that it would be best to go around dallas and maybe around houston as well I know that we are heading south of 135 or I35 out of Kansas and clear through Oklahoma. I was told to take something like 287 but I can't find it on google maps

I live in Lewisville. If you have more than one person in your car, you can hop in the HOV lane on I-35 that starts in Lewisville and make it past the 635 intersection with no problem in about 8 minutes during rush hour. Stay in that lane until you get through downtown and it takes you to 30 East. After the "mix master", you will have to merge left one lane, go .75 miles and merge right to 45 South and on to Houston.

I know you asked for ways around Dallas, but really, the HOV isn't a bad option.

Also, you could get to Macarthur Blvd in Lewisville and go south to 114. It's a nice "neighborhood" drive, but has some school zones, but traffic moves smoothly usually. It's how I go to work in Dallas.

Just my 2 cents but we drove from MO to Houston in 2008 and I was a little apprehensive about driving though Dallas, but it was a very easy drive, we went through on a Saturday around noon. But we just stayed on the freeway and just made sure we stayed in a middle lane and went right through with no problems. Also did the same driving through Houston, just made sure I was in a middle lane so I wouldn't have to deal with unexpected exit lanes, had my Mapquest directions and it was easier than I thought it would be. We only have 2 lane highways where I'm from so the thought of going through Dallas & Houston had me a little scared. But I wouldn't hesitate to drive it again.

Sharon

Also, we drove down 69 through OK, 69 turned into 75 through Dallas then turned into 45.

I live in Lewisville. If you have more than one person in your car, you can hop in the HOV lane on I-35 that starts in Lewisville and make it past the 635 intersection with no problem in about 8 minutes during rush hour. Stay in that lane until you get through downtown and it takes you to 30 East. After the "mix master", you will have to merge left one lane, go .75 miles and merge right to 45 South and on to Houston.

I know you asked for ways around Dallas, but really, the HOV isn't a bad option.

Also, you could get to Macarthur Blvd in Lewisville and go south to 114. It's a nice "neighborhood" drive, but has some school zones, but traffic moves smoothly usually. It's how I go to work in Dallas.

what is the HOV and there will be two people in the car. I will have my husband check this route and see if this is the way he wants to go. But I see myself holding on tight with my eyes squeezed closed if there is alot of traffic LOL

what is the HOV and there will be two people in the car. I will have my husband check this route and see if this is the way he wants to go. But I see myself holding on tight with my eyes squeezed closed if there is alot of traffic LOL

HOV is a "High Occupancy Vehicle" lane that doesn't have access except at the beginning and the end. I would not suggest that you attempt this. It's easy for those of us who are city people, but I've found that the entrance and exits are confusing and not "easy". If you are "afraid" of the regular freeways, an HOV will send you into apoplexy. The suggestion about staying in the middle lane is very good. Here is Houston (don't know about Dallas), you have signs painted on the concrete in each lane before places where there's a major exchange that indicates which freeway that lane will go into. It's really helpful. Good luck!!!

what route should we take to miss Dallas completely. We have a hotel reservation for Lewisville but we can change it. We were planning to drive about 5-6 hours thursday night then friday mornind drive the rest of the way into galveston. I was told that it would be best to go around dallas and maybe around houston as well I know that we are heading south of 135 or I35 out of Kansas and clear through Oklahoma. I was told to take something like 287 but I can't find it on google maps

You are overthinking it.

The difference between an ordeal and an adventure is attitude!!

Same should be on the ship as in your road trip!

Leave early and come thru Houston midday and reduce your exposure to traffic snarls.

Then enjoy Galveston before you leave!

What dates ares are you sailing?

In my experience, neither of these cities is that difficult to drive through. Just keep your destination in mind ("Houston" when you are in Dallas and "Galveston" when you are in Houston) and follow those signs. Grew up in Missouri and have family there who are, like you, very apprehensive about the big-city Texas freeways. The most important thing is to allow yourself some extra time so you are not worried about that also. If you happen to make a wrong "turn" just get off the next exit and you can almost always cross over the freeway, take the access/frontage road back a couple of exits, get back on the freeway and try again. There are also friendly Texans around who will be glad to help!

We will be taking the very same route coming from southeast Kansas. What route did you take once you made it to Dallas? (Through the heart of Dallas or via a bypass?) Do you recall how long the drive was? We are planning on driving down Saturday and spend the night in Galveston. That way Sunday morning we can take our time getting ready to board the ship later that morning.

You are overthinking it.

The difference between an ordeal and an adventure is attitude!!

Same should be on the ship as in your road trip!

Leave early and come thru Houston midday and reduce your exposure to traffic snarls.

Then enjoy Galveston before you leave!

What dates ares are you sailing?

I think I have chatted with you before is this Mary B. we are cruising January 8 2011

I think I have chatted with you before is this Mary B. we are cruising January 8 2011

Actually it is me her husband that posted back to you on her computer!

And again to reinforce that converstion with her,

we will help you in any way to enjoy your stay in Galveston!

To borrow your handle,

we cantwait4cruise either!!!!!!!!!!!

We will leave in 32 days!

HOV is a "High Occupancy Vehicle" lane that doesn't have access except at the beginning and the end. I would not suggest that you attempt this. It's easy for those of us who are city people, but I've found that the entrance and exits are confusing and not "easy". If you are "afraid" of the regular freeways, an HOV will send you into apoplexy. The suggestion about staying in the middle lane is very good. Here is Houston (don't know about Dallas), you have signs painted on the concrete in each lane before places where there's a major exchange that indicates which freeway that lane will go into. It's really helpful. Good luck!!!

Our HOVs are just the left lane of the highway, separated by two solid white stripes with occasional dotted line for exit and entrance. They are not elevated like Houston's. It's only scarey when the other 4 lanes are stopped and the HOV is zipping along at 60+.

could you have mary message me on facebook she was going to give me info on some of the attractions that are a must see in galveston. Enjoy your cruise, Mary told me where you were going but I forgot but anyway enjoy your cruise and have a great time

THanks to everyone that has helped me try to figure out the route to take you all are the greatest

We live just south of Houston and make the drive to MO/KS every year. Just hop on 69/75/45 as suggested above by dcwms. Dallas is actually very easy to drive through. We used to take the bypass (Loop 435?) but once I-45 was completed I wouldn't go any other way. It's an easy shot; and Houston actually isn't that hard either. Just get in the lane each time you see 45 South/Galveston and you'll breeze right through.

Enjoy the drive...and the cruise!

If you are southbound on I-35, why take the split to the east? There is a ton less traffic if you opt for I-35W and find lodging (both budget and upscale) near Texas Motor Speedway or closer to Fort Worth. Listen to local AM Radio traffic reports (WBAP 820 or KLIF 570) as they update MetroPlex traffic every 2 to 5 minutes. If there is a backup in FW you can easily bypass it n 820W (West Loop). Once through Fort Worth, yuo can hop on I-20 EB and then use US287 to link up with I-45. I have a more scenic route that takes me on Texas Hwy 6 through counties my cousins live in. I make it just as quickly as if I'd taken the route described above - and that is hauling a load of cattle behind us too.

If you get into Dallas at a reasonable hour, you can also sail right on through - but the window is pretty narrow during those times. With the State Fair of Texas now in full swing, it is anybodies guess on how the traffic will be affected!

can you give me ideas on a good place to eat in lewisville

We will be taking the very same route coming from southeast Kansas. What route did you take once you made it to Dallas? (Through the heart of Dallas or via a bypass?) Do you recall how long the drive was? We are planning on driving down Saturday and spend the night in Galveston. That way Sunday morning we can take our time getting ready to board the ship later that morning.

Hwy 69 turned into 75 when we entered Texas and we stayed on 75, I think we were right in the heart of Dallas, once we got through Dallas 75 turned into 45 and we took 45 all the way. We didn't have to exit off the freeway or anything. There were lots of tall buildings, nothing like our town, we took pictures of the buildings as we were driving through! I remember once 75 turned to 45, thinking that was the easiest thing. Before we had left I kept looking at maps trying to figure out how to maneuver through Dallas. Our cruise was right after Ike, so we didn't make it to Galveston, we stayed in LaPorte and cruised out of the Bayport Terminal.

We left at 5:30 am and got to Houston around 5:30 pm, and we stopped frequently.

OK I think we are going to head south on 135 into Texas then stay the night in Denton( anyone know how the Comfort Inn on Mesa Drive is) then go 135 E and follow it down until it changes to what ever and follow that through Dallas and Houston. Can someone tell me the time that rush hour is in Dallas. We are thinking if we leave the hotel by 830 am then that would put us in Dallas almost 930 so would that be a good time to miss rush hour and I think we would hit Galveson about 230 go grab a little something to snack on and then check into our room at Galveston. Sounds like a plan to me now I just need the pros to tell me if it sounds good or not LOL

Asumming this is weekday, and if not, no problem!

Leaving Lewisville at 6 a.m.

which would put into Houston midmorning or midday

and with a clean sail to Galveston

to see if the plan we have would put us in the cities at good times, kinda missing rush hours. hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise

to see if the plan we have would put us in the cities at good times, kinda missing rush hours. hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise

I don't know about Dallas - although I suspect it's about the same as Houston. Rush "hour" is about a 3 hour event in both the AM and PM. Guess that's a shock to our rural friends! Anyway, if you're on the road at 6 AM - you should do fine both in Dallas (although you'll probably be surprised at the amount of traffic then) and then you'll be coming through Houston at midday. All I can say is just try to chill out and don't get crazy over whatever traffic you encounter! :D:):p;)

:confused:never thought about leaving at 6am

but one of the other posters mentioned it, I was thinking of leaving lewisville or Denton around 8 830 am that way we would be going thru dallas around 930 or so then is houston/galveston around 230 or so

When are you going on your cruise? We also live in Kansas in the northeast part. We are going on the Conquest on 11/28 and we are leaving Friday evening driving straight through to Galveston and than spending Saturday night in a hotel. I know what you mean about Dallas and Houston area, last time we went out of Galveston, I got stuck driving through one of them. I told my husband that I absolutely refuse to get stuck this year being the one driving through and major city.

:confused:never thought about leaving at 6am

but one of the other posters mentioned it, I was thinking of leaving lewisville or Denton around 8 830 am that way we would be going thru dallas around 930 or so then is houston/galveston around 230 or so

Certainly would make it more of a vacation than being on the road at 6!:D There will still be traffic at 8:30, but it will be clearing and you will miss the lunch rush in Houston and get through before the afternoon rush! Try not to get all focused on traffic (easy for me to say...I've always lived in the city:p). Have a wonderful cruise.

Archived