A minor puzzle about QM2

Cruachan

Since we returned from QM2, something has been puzzling me and I wondered if any of our local experts could come up with an answer. She Who Must Be Obeyed and I spent the odd half hour playing scrabble in one or other of the games areas on Two Deck (I think it was).

With the exception of the outside decks, these areas seemed to be, without doubt, the coldest parts of the ship. Even on days when, outside, the temperature was in the 80s with high humidity, those areas were chilly. Does anyone have a rational explanation as to why this is the case? Is it always like that in that particular section of the ship? Are Cunard actively chilling those areas to drive people away from playing games and get them into the bars? :D:D

J

Air Conditioning ??? :eek: :D

Trouble is that those little areas at the side just connect to the rest of the ship at both ends and the adjoining areas were nowhere near as cold. I found it hard to see how they could selectively chill those areas but not the other bits. Strange :confused:

J

Trouble is that those little areas at the side just connect to the rest of the ship at both ends and the adjoining areas were nowhere near as cold. I found it hard to see how they could selectively chill those areas but not the other bits. Strange :confused:

J

Could it have something to do with the large windows?

Are they, for example, hotter than the rest of the ship when in the tropics?

J

You know, it wasn't like that in 2008 when we went to Panama. I noticed it too this time, particularly when it was cold outside.

Could it have something to do with the large windows?

Are they, for example, hotter than the rest of the ship when in the tropics?

I thought it might have had something to do with the windows but there's a similar area on the deck above with identical windows and it's nowhere near as cold as the games areas.

J

You know, it wasn't like that in 2008 when we went to Panama. I noticed it too this time, particularly when it was cold outside.

Hmmmm... so maybe Mr Dean is right and the ambient air temperature outside the ship has an ameliorating effect.

J

Hmmmm... so maybe Mr Dean is right and the ambient air temperature outside the ship has an ameliorating effect.

J

Of course, the ambient air temperature outside the ship has an ameliorating effect. Whatever else could it be, anyway?:)

I find the stairwell and elevator area on deck 7 at B staircase is colder.

Interesting. I don't recall noticing much in the way of a significant temperature difference there but then I rarely hung around for long in that area as I was either heading out on to the promenade deck or going into King's Court for something to eat.

J

If I recall correctly, I believe it is actually deck "3L" and you go up stairs at either end of this area to get to 3, right? Perhaps cool air is "falling down" either stairway and collecting at this "low" point?

Hi SeaMatesNYC

My, often failing :o , memory is that the board games passageway either side of the lower level of the theatre is level with Deck 2 all the way to Connextions. On Deck 3, outside the balcony entrances of the theatre, there are steps (and lifts) down to the promenade with the seats in the windows. At the forward end there are ramps up to the entrances to Illumimations.

Of course I'm about to find out that my memory is playing tricks with me and I've got it all wrong :o and I thank the member who corrects me! So sorry in advance :o

Ah well, old age...

If I recall correctly, I believe it is actually deck "3L" and you go up stairs at either end of this area to get to 3, right? Perhaps cool air is "falling down" either stairway and collecting at this "low" point?

Yes, that's pretty well spot on Michael. It could be acting as a "frost hollow" I suppose. It's certainly damn chilly there.

J

Hi SeaMatesNYC

My, often failing :o , memory is that the board games passageway either side of the lower level of the theatre is level with Deck 2 all the way to Connextions. On Deck 3, outside the balcony entrances of the theatre, there are steps (and lifts) down to the promenade with the seats in the windows. At the forward end there are ramps up to the entrances to Illumimations.

Of course I'm about to find out that my memory is playing tricks with me and I've got it all wrong :o and I thank the member who corrects me! So sorry in advance :o

Ah well, old age...

Hee hee. You think you're bad. I'm only off the ship for less than a fortnight and I got that completely wrong as well. You're correct - it's the seating area with the round swivel chairs that you have to go down the short flight of steps to get to. The games are you just walk straight into from Deck 2.

J

Hee hee. You think you're bad. I'm only off the ship for less than a fortnight and I got that completely wrong as well. You're correct - it's the seating area with the round swivel chairs that you have to go down the short flight of steps to get to. The games are you just walk straight into from Deck 2.

J

I will defer to you both, as I have not been onboard for almost a year now. Pepperrn, you are describing it just right and my placement does now seem one deck off.

It did seem plausible as you say J, a "frost hollow." We will have to keep digging for the answer.

Archived