Munich Walking Tour

Jesterscourt

In addition to the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus, has anyone gone on a memorable walking tour? According to the guidebooks there are many low-cost or "free" tours. We are trying to make the most of our pre-cruise time in Munich. On another day, we will be going to Dachau using our rail pass. Is it better to join a tour for this? Would like feedback from those who have done this, and, of course, Steamboats! This will be in November so weather may be a factor.

Jestercourt - Munich is one of my most favorite cities in Europe and I have been there several times over the past few years. I don't think I would join any tour groups for the Dachau visit as it's an easy visit on your own. There are various sites you can visit and stay as little or as long as you want. When I was there, a survivor from the camp was explaining to us what occurred during that time. As far as getting there I recall taking a tram from my hotel. It was about a 10 or 12 mile ride if I recall. Very sad visit.

Interesting side note, during WW II my 90 year old father's engineering division was one of the first groups to help liberate Dachau. He was with the 40th Combat Engineers (bridge builders). 40 years after the fact he finally opened up and discussed it with his kids. He told me at one point he and several others opened the doors to a train car and found bodies stacked upon bodies. He said he couldn't eat for 2 weeks and he swears he can still smell the stench. To those who say it didn't happen.....talk to someone who saw it for real.

As far as walking tours I can't specifically recommend any walking tours. I love to explore on my own. But I have heard about some good ones and some bad ones. You might want to ask these same questions on the Fodors site.

I did do a Mike's Bike tour in Munich but that was during the summer time. That was one of the neatest tours I ever did and would highly recommend it if you are able. They are located behind the Hofbrahaus and the tour lasts 3 or 4 hours. Very, cool if you can ride a bike and really not that strenuous.

Have a great time in Munich. It's a wonderful city to visit.

I agree that Dachau is easily visited on your own. They have audio guides that are very good and allow time to spend in the exhibit area after you visit the camp. I have been in late November and the bleakness of this time of year is somehow even more appropriate and moving, as the horror of what those people endured is even more moving in the cold and dampness.

I also am a big fan of Munich. One of my favorite spots is the Viktualienmarkt, great fun for foodies. I have never done a tour (6 visits), in Munich, just wandered about on my own as well as made day trips. It's a friendly, easy to explore city with excellent public transport.

Jesterscourt,

Check here for an overview of guided tours.

Here´s a free walking tour in English.

This site offers an audio tour.

Of course I´m usually not taking any tours in my home town :D. But I see a lot of groups in the city, walking, on bike, on segways...

steamboats

We did the excellent free English tour. It lasted 3 hours. We met the tour in Marienplatz. No reservations were necessary. The tour covered many aspects of Munich history and was very enjoyable. Tipping at the end of the tour, or when you choose to leave, is the only payment required. We found the tour especially helpful since we don't know if we'll have the chance to spend more time in this wonderful city. At least we know we have seen the highlights. We also find highlight tours helpful so we'll know what sites we want to learn more about or return to.

We did Dachau on our own. The camp was well marked with educational signs. We didn't use the audio tour since we had a child with us but were still able to spend several hours there and we learned so much.

Archived