Just back from Garden Villa on Jewel

chellebells

Hi Donna,

The A3 would be fine for three women and yes, the smaller bedroom has a door when you first enter the suite that separates the bath, small bedroom and closet area from the rest of the suite.

Doug

Thanks, Doug. You always have the answers! No cruise in 2010 but 2011 looks like a possibility. Mary Elizabeth made the suggestion for the 3 of us to share an AE and mom and I think it would be lovely... Now where to go? It would likely be 3rd or 4th quarter.

Your next one is getting closer and will be here before you know it.

Thanks again.

January 2, 2011 with you. :D

Please join our roll call...we have a M&G planned and we would love to have you join us! If memory serves me right you gave me great info on the Jewel's dry dock while back. We are all ages and backgrounds on this roll call..please come over and chat with us!

Please join our roll call...we have a M&G planned and we would love to have you join us! If memory serves me right you gave me great info on the Jewel's dry dock while back. We are all ages and backgrounds on this roll call..please come over and chat with us!

I poked over there and said hello briefly before taking a standardized test online. :) I did notice the age range of the folks on this sailing. Should be interesting to see! I love the Norwegian Jewel and am happy to be back aboard her again. Should be interesting to see what changes have come into play since Nickelodeon has arrived but since the HD and my favorite NCL DJ will be there... I know I'm good on the long days at sea until we hit warm waters! :D

I am sure it was amazing! We booked a Courtyard Villa on the Jewel and we are hoping we won't be disappointed. Did you get to hear anyone's experience in a CYV? We just could not afford the Garden Villa and are hoping for the best. Final payment is in 2 days for us and we are hoping we made the right decision choosing the Jewel and the A3 Courtyard. Any opinion?

We sailed last year on the jewel and our friends had a courtyard villa - 4 of them and they had a fantastic cabin with wonderful perks. A bath under the window where you could lie and look out at the sea, great facilities and access to cagneys for breakfast and lunch as well as priority to get on and off everyday as well as special seats in the theatre. If we could afford it, we would go for it ourselves.

I poked over there and said hello briefly before taking a standardized test online. :) I did notice the age range of the folks on this sailing. Should be interesting to see! I love the Norwegian Jewel and am happy to be back aboard her again. Should be interesting to see what changes have come into play since Nickelodeon has arrived but since the HD and my favorite NCL DJ will be there... I know I'm good on the long days at sea until we hit warm waters! :D

My daughter (who is cruising with us) has a very good friend who is joing the "Nick" team on the Jewel the end of October. He just got the job and is very psyched! He is signed on for 6 months.

I will be posting a detailed review in the next day or two, however I just wanted to see if anyone has any specific questions that I may be able to help with. I know when I was researching prior to my cruise I found so many great pics and threads on Garden Villas but not very many were from the Jewel.

I cannot say enough about the crew on this ship as they truly made sure this was a vacation of a lifetime. Everything one has heard about the infamous John O'Hara is true and if possible he even trumps his own reputation. At our Cruise Critic meeting no matter what someone asked for he made a phone call and made it happen. I also want to acknowledge our Concierge John D'Souza, Butler Antonio Jabol, Courtyard Butler Rodney, and Room Steward Abner (you all may know him by his alias "Stewart") LOL. Each of these individuals went so far above and beyond anything that I could have anticipated that I never had to ask for anything to make my trip more enjoyable as they all seemed to read my mind and have everthing at my fingertips before I realized I even wanted it. :)

I know all the room stewards love making the towel animals for the guests in the evenings....Abner went a step beyond and made me a date. :eek:

Abner is the best!

Sorry I have a silly question . My husband has difficulty climbing stairs. Do you remember what deck the muster drill takes place on? We are on deck 8. Hoping he doesn't have to climb too many stairs when it's over. Also is it true you no longer need your life jackets for the drill?

Thank you.

Sorry I have a silly question . My husband has difficulty climbing stairs. Do you remember what deck the muster drill takes place on? We are on deck 8. Hoping he doesn't have to climb too many stairs when it's over. Also is it true you no longer need your life jackets for the drill?

Thank you.

Not a silly question --- We just got off Jewel in September. The muster drill for us was in TSARS dining room which is deck 6 aft. We were on Deck 10 almost aft on the port side. I would think if you mention to the crew his difficulty in walking they would allow him to use the elevator for the drill. If your cabin is located near aft it would be a two flight descent to Tsars. Then just sit back and relax after it's over and take the elevators after everyone has left.

Enjoy your cruise

Kathy

Forgot to mention my SIL is in dire need of a knee replacement and was walking with a cane. She did fine going down the flights and she simply waited to take an elevator once the drill was over

Thank you.

Which part of Deck 8 are you on? Most of the staterooms that are forward will go to the Stardust Theater in the lower part on the right hand side.

The aft stateroom on Deck 8 will go to Tsar's Palace usually since you are two decks up above it.

Obstructed view staterooms mid-ship go to various places.

No lifejackets are required for the muster drill now. They demonstrate how to put them on for you at the drill.

Hope all this helps. :)

:) Thinking about booking a garden villa. I really like to swim and was wondering if anyone can tell me wether the private villa pool is deep enough and long enough to actually swim in, like lap swim. Thanx

I am not sure about the other ships but on the Jewel the Courtyard pool was about 3 1/2 feet deep and not long enough for laps. However, I would still say go for the Garden Villa as being treated like royalty for 10 days was phenomenal and the pool deck is just two decks below you.

Hi Michelle, I'm enjoying your review on the garden Villa. All I can say to everyone is if you can swing going for the courtyard...GO FOR IT!!! My husband and I were in an A4 (one bedroom courtyard villa). It is spectacular. Ofcourse, I'm suffering from major cruise withdrawal, but it's worth it. The service is the best.

:) Thinking about booking a garden villa. I really like to swim and was wondering if anyone can tell me wether the private villa pool is deep enough and long enough to actually swim in, like lap swim. Thanx

If I recall, the pool has a 'jet' that pushes water at you so you can swim against the current for exercise type swimming. You stay in one place due the pressure but can still 'swim'. I think this is the pool I remember this from.

Your pictures are awesome! But I think you have to see it to really get it. Thank you for allowing all of our Cruise Critic group to see it for ourselves! Now we all have a goal. Maybe some day... Thanks, Kathy

You are so very welcome...I love cabin crawls and getting to see all the options available for my next cruise. As much as I would love to say it's only the Garden Villa from here on out reality says otherwise. ;)

You are so very welcome...I love cabin crawls and getting to see all the options available for my next cruise. As much as I would love to say it's only the Garden Villa from here on out reality says otherwise. ;)

So you've been back for a few days...wondering if the 'magic' feeling has worn off yet...I remember having the 'high' for about a month afterwards, but in January it will be 2 years after (yikes!) and I will never forget that cruise in the GV. It was incomparable to anything else on water that I can imagine. It truly DOES have to be experienced and 'felt' to be understood, don't you think? What I really, really love about it is that everyone who experiences it will have memories to take with them for the rest of their lives. Sure, for some just taking a cruise in itself is a wonder, but to experience the absolute best of the best that the cruise industry has to offer...well, that's just in a different league. I LOVE looking at my pictures and recalling how absolutely relaxing it was. I hope that in two years, you will be having the same fond memories. ;)

So you've been back for a few days...wondering if the 'magic' feeling has worn off yet...I remember having the 'high' for about a month afterwards, but in January it will be 2 years after (yikes!) and I will never forget that cruise in the GV. It was incomparable to anything else on water that I can imagine. It truly DOES have to be experienced and 'felt' to be understood, don't you think? What I really, really love about it is that everyone who experiences it will have memories to take with them for the rest of their lives. Sure, for some just taking a cruise in itself is a wonder, but to experience the absolute best of the best that the cruise industry has to offer...well, that's just in a different league. I LOVE looking at my pictures and recalling how absolutely relaxing it was. I hope that in two years, you will be having the same fond memories. ;)

We have poured over ALL of your previous posts when we were anticipating our "first" GV experience! And wanted to say thank you for those......and now we have taken the "next" step and booked BOTH GV's for DH and I, my parents and 5 grown kids (two of them married! for a total of 11 of us in BOTH GV'S! This will take place over the holidays on the Star........

Now, we sort of consider ourselves "experts" on the GV stuff but would love to hear any experiences with having BOTH! I have already asked about having the living room doors opened but since we booked through CAS they say that we should just tell the powers that be what we want once we are onboard.....

So any of you lucky enough to have had BOTH GV's, please chime in! This is something TOTALLY new for us and we are both excited (and worried!0 as we are used to the more traditional Christmas Eve, etc....

Oh I am so glad that you still have the feeling after two years! I was hoping it would last. I just wish that the pictures or the video could do it justice but then I realized it is not really the beautiful accomodations that set it apart but the whole experience in itself.

We have poured over ALL of your previous posts when we were anticipating our "first" GV experience! And wanted to say thank you for those......and now we have taken the "next" step and booked BOTH GV's for DH and I, my parents and 5 grown kids (two of them married! for a total of 11 of us in BOTH GV'S! This will take place over the holidays on the Star........

Now, we sort of consider ourselves "experts" on the GV stuff but would love to hear any experiences with having BOTH! I have already asked about having the living room doors opened but since we booked through CAS they say that we should just tell the powers that be what we want once we are onboard.....

So any of you lucky enough to have had BOTH GV's, please chime in! This is something TOTALLY new for us and we are both excited (and worried!0 as we are used to the more traditional Christmas Eve, etc....

What a fabulous way to spend the holidays! Please take lots of pics and videos so we all can live vicariously through you and your family. :D

Archived