Are Helmets Required on All Ships with a Rink now?

I just got off Explorer. They made Advanced skaters wear a helmet (there were only 2 Advanced Skate sessions on a 14 day cruise). Some figure skaters (including me) were put off by the helmet requirement and several opted not to skate.

A few days later I spoke with someone from Studio B and was told that mandatory helmets began as a ship-by-ship determination, but that it is becoming required fleet wide.

Each ship MAY have a policy to determine whether a specific individual is not required to wear one, but that would put the ship employees in a difficult position to make a determination of someone's ability (which is a big responsibility, legally speaking). I can attest that owning your own skates does not make you Advanced. I do not disagree with their position, so...

If you do not want to wear a helmet, leave the skates at home.

~Nan

Same experience as Nan on the same cruise. Experience or advanced doesnt mean they will allow you to skate without a helmet.

We noted many folks on the ice that have probably never been on an ice rink before. I guess :cool: it is a good policy....:cool: [altho both my kids opted to not skate.] For them [us] the enjoyment is lost.

Archived