Are Helmets Required on All Ships with a Rink now?

Freedom - this August. Helmets were not required, but available. My granddaughters wore them, but not all skaters did. They only went to one session - other sessions could have required them. However, helmets were required to climb the rock wall. In both instances, they sprayed the inside of the helmet after each use. The importance of the helmet outweighed the potential for critters in the helmets.

Freedom - this August. Helmets were not required, but available. My granddaughters wore them, but not all skaters did. They only went to one session - other sessions could have required them. However, helmets were required to climb the rock wall. In both instances, they sprayed the inside of the helmet after each use. The importance of the helmet outweighed the potential for critters in the helmets.

True. I'd rather have head lice than be in a vegetative state, which would be worse than death.

Ok, I'll tell you from personal experience...helmets are a good idea. I used to snowboard, and wasn't moving fast when I fell. I hit my head and it could have been bad. It was ok, but it hurt like hell! I didn't go to a doctor, but probably should have. Ever since, I've warn a helmet. It doesn't matter how fast you are going. If you fall and hit your head (very likely), it could end up being very bad. They are just trying to (a) cover their asses, and (b) trying to make sure you enjoy your cruise. Don't be stupid! It's in your best interest to wear a helmet.

Look at Natasha Richardson...they thought she was okay and less than a day later...she was dead:( We live in a sue-happy world...do you really think a waiver is going to stop someone from suing if they think it was someone elses fault? I can just hear it now...."the captain should have avoided the motion that caused me to fall". Also, think of young adults...they're trying to impress each other:rolleyes: "I've been skating for years...I don't need a helmet". It doesn't see like such a big deal to me, but then again, I've had a kid (wearing a helmet) fall off a bike and still wind up with 8 stitches in his head;)

I dont agree that it is 'very likely' that one will fall and hit their head. I am also a continued beleiver that parents should monitor and be with young children in certain activities. Accidents happen, parents can prevent them. Like someone on my roll call mentioned, there can be horrible consequnces if a skater skates over someones hand with a sharp blade, do we skate with blade covers? No. Adults should be able to be responsible for themselves. And, if you have ever skated on board you know very well that it is pretty motionless- And, I have witnessed the rink closed due to the motion of the ship.

Still, no one has posted on this thread addressing "opinion" on WHY the recent change? The first ships with an ice rink (VOS?) circa 1999? Why, all of a sudden, 10+ yrs later did they change policy? Why is it an inconsistent new rule? Why isnt it on the web site?

Again, a ice hockey game, downhill skiing is not a comparable comparison to something recreational.

The wonderful thing in life is that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I think its a terrible idea. I dont want a cruise line to tell an adult to wear a helmet during recreational skating. Its not sport, not a game.

It's their ice -- they get to set the rules.

If you don't like it, you're welcome to seek out a cruise line that allows you to skate without a helmet.

Adults should be able to be responsible for themselves.

Still, no one has posted on this thread addressing "opinion" on WHY the recent change? The first ships with an ice rink (VOS?) circa 1999? Why, all of a sudden, 10+ yrs later did they change policy? Why is it an inconsistent new rule? Why isnt it on the web site?

And herein lies the problem, yes adults SHOULD be responsible for there own choices and the choices they make for their children, but we live in a society where many do not take personal responsibility for their actions and expect others to pay for the harm they may cause (to others or themselves). I see this everyday in my work (I work for a bank, and every day we have many people coming in because they got charged a fee and you would not believe the stories..but the long and short of it is you spent money you didn't have, we charge a fee):( I've tried to teach my children to be responsible for their own actions, but when they're young and in school, sometimes the schools are teaching a different message:mad: There are also way too many lawyers who try to file suit over just about anything...as an example, I am currently a class action member (not at my choice) for at least 3 -count them 3- class action suits. One is for lawn mower blades (which we just replaced when they went bad, cause hey, they do), the other is from 1-800 flowers for being over charged on a delivery fee that I agreed to and found fair, and the final one is some website that charged somepeople for a membership that I agreed to. These are silly stupid things to be suing for, but hey if the lawyers can make a buck and the litigants THINK they'll make a buck let's go for it!

If I had to venture a guess as to why they are changing rules now, I'd say they've either been sued for this situation, or their legal department is now looking at everything with an eye to avoiding litigation:(

I agree with all you said, crookedhalo!

Still, on board ice skating for many we have talked to has become totally undesirable. I cant wait until our December cruise to see just how many are walking away annoyed. On our june/july sail on Exos, MANY were walking away and not skating, few took advantage of the rink. :cool:

It's their ice -- they get to set the rules.

If you don't like it, you're welcome to seek out a cruise line that allows you to skate without a helmet.

aunursa, I LOVE RCI, why would you suggest I go elsewhere? . Haha. That made me laugh outloud, loud! Its funny when someone tells you what to do or where to go on a message board. That is just sooooo funny to me! (with a side of strange!)

Still, on board ice skating for many we have talked to has become totally undesirable. I cant wait until our December cruise to see just how many are walking away annoyed. On our june/july sail on Exos, MANY were walking away and not skating, few took advantage of the rink. :cool:

aunursa, I LOVE RCI, why would you suggest I go elsewhere? . Haha. That made me laugh outloud, loud! Its funny when someone tells you what to do or where to go on a message board. That is just sooooo funny to me! (with a side of strange!)

It's good to know so many people are walking a way from the ice, it means it wont be so busy when I go and wear a helmet.

I'm curious too, after all you can hurt your head walking in the halls during bad weather, what event happened to cause the change. I believe when in Rome ...but what happened ?

Exactly my sentiments and query...What happened to cause the change? A very quiet change at that. And, as one post pointed out, not enforced on an August freedom class cruise. Enforce or dont enforce. lol

For me this is NOTHING MORE than a case of curiousity. (that was for those who might find the need for themselves to interpret this thread as negative or angry or bashing the cruiseline- and to the carelessly thought 'suggestions' that those who dont agree with the helmet policy to go elsewhere.)

If my kids, who are 22 and 18 do not skate while sailing, it is no big deal. But the rink is there for pax enjoyment and they should be able to enjoy the recreation! I just dont want to pack our sports gear duffle if I dont have to. We brought our skates this past summer and didnt use them. I just dont need to pack them if I wont be allowed to use them.

It's good to know so many people are walking a way from the ice, it means it wont be so busy when I go and wear a helmet.

See! Look at that, a benefit for some! I wonder if you skate often or have ever had a time in life to skate often?

Sharing helmets is just another way that germs (and worse ) can get transmitted from person to person. Even if they spray it now you've got to put that on your hair? Yuck !

Just another reason why ice rinks don't belong on ships in the first place IMHO.

One more thing to take along with the skates! Sounds like a plan the airlines will like. Good for luggage fees.;)

BTW...not opposed to helmets for safety. Sounds like a good idea. Could probably wear a scarf or cap in addition to the helmet so it isn't directly on a person's head.

Even though we've been on many of the ships with ice rinks, we've never skated. Probably should just to say we did!:cool:

I've was on skates before I could walk... the only difference I've noticed on the ship is that the ice is "sticky". My wife is not a strong skater and wears a helmet. I prefer not too, it's not hockey. The reason hockey players wear helmets is the speed of the skating, the fact that the players are carying sticks and flying pieces of frozen rubber. Not to mention those glorious hits in contact hockey!!

If I have to wear a helmet are they wearing them for the ice show too????

I couldn't agree more. Maybe it's the hillbilly in me, but this is no different than seat belt laws - if a consenting adult signs the waiver and opts not to use it, then that should be their decision.

I understand the cruise line's CYA attitude, but it just makes you wonder what the next step will be...

It is not the same at all. One is required by the GOVERNMENT, the other is required by a PRIVATE CORPORATION. If you don't like RCI's rules, don't sail (or don't skate while sailing). That is a lot simpler than moving to another state or country.

What will the next step be? Who knows? Whatever it takes to keep people from suing them for the individual's own stupid behavior, I bet.

I disagree with the new policy. If you sign the waiver you should be good to go and they should have helments if you want one like before. Requring a helments though is a little protective in my opinion and because of this I probally won't be ice skating now in a week.

Waivers are useless. RCI has been sued (and lost) when a guest that signed a waiver was hurt. They are overturned all the time.

Are you serious? A lot of people are actually so annoyed at having to wear a safety helmet that they will refuse to skate? Seems like an overreaction to me. Is it really that much of an annoyance or inconvenience that one would actually refuse to participate because of the helmet issue?:confused:

Bill, umm, beleive it or not, yes. Many were leaving disgruntled. Of course, many is relative. Probably by percentage, very few pax skate while on board anyway. Maybe I should have said the folks leaving were, disappointed and somewhat confused. I dont think anyone has ever been to an Ice Rink and asked to wear a helmet for a session or two of skating. I know I have never seen it. I dont think the motion is an issue. Captains always cancel skate sessions if the sea is rough.

denamo, 99.999 % of the time we cruise we do not have to fly to the port. Luggage is not an issue and we are happy overpackers. Dont judge, lol :D

I guess if you hadn't turned into such a litigious society we would not be having this discussion.

As others have mentioned, in the US, and progressively more so in the UK people do not take responsibility for their own actions and sue for anything if they see dollar (or sterling) signs in front of their eyes.

They can sign as many waivers as you like, but you cannot sign away your constitutional rights, which is, I believe to seek restitution.

Unfortunately this decision is a bi-product of several years of litigation with the public taking action against corporations.............. and winning.

Bill, umm, beleive it or not, yes. Many were leaving disgruntled. Of course, many is relative. Probably by percentage, very few pax skate while on board anyway. Maybe I should have said the folks leaving were, disappointed and somewhat confused. I dont think anyone has ever been to an Ice Rink and asked to wear a helmet for a session or two of skating. I know I have never seen it. I dont think the motion is an issue. Captains always cancel skate sessions if the sea is rough.

denamo, 99.999 % of the time we cruise we do not have to fly to the port. Luggage is not an issue and we are happy overpackers. Dont judge, lol :D

Thanks, I guess it happens, but it seems a bit strange to me that the helmet requirement would be considered so obnoxious as to cause people to forego the pleasure of ice skating on the ship. More than a bit of an over-reaction IMO. I just have a problem picturing someone so offended by this requirement that they wouldn't just grin and bear it. Now that Massachusetts has banned texting while driving can we expect a similar reaction from those addicted to texting who will now turn in their driver's licenses.:confused:

Thanks, I guess it happens, but it seems a bit strange to me that the helmet requirement would be considered so obnoxious as to cause people to forego the pleasure of ice skating on the ship. More than a bit of an over-reaction IMO. I just have a problem picturing someone so offended by this requirement that they wouldn't just grin and bear it. Now that Massachusetts has banned texting while driving can we expect a similar reaction from those addicted to texting who will now turn in their driver's licenses.:confused:

I think seasoned skaters do feel put off by having to wear a helmet on board to skate. It is new to them, uncomfortable and not something most are accustomed to if they do skate. Even recreational skaters, has anyone ever seen folks wearing them skating at Rockafeller center? Central park? Any indoor recreation rink? I dont beleive anyone would want to grin and bear something that makes them uncomfortable. Especially when they skate at home. I dont see the correlation to texting and driving which KILLS WAY TOO MANY :(

I have read, not often, but have read comments on cruise critic how a parent is so looking forward to their child ice skating on board because they have never had the opportunity to ice skate. For these folks I agree a helmet should be worn.

I guess if you hadn't turned into such a litigious society we would not be having this discussion.

As others have mentioned, in the US, and progressively more so in the UK people do not take responsibility for their own actions and sue for anything if they see dollar (or sterling) signs in front of their eyes.

They can sign as many waivers as you like, but you cannot sign away your constitutional rights, which is, I believe to seek restitution.

Unfortunately this decision is a bi-product of several years of litigation with the public taking action against corporations.............. and winning.

Thats funny, true. In regard to this specific change - I find it odd that no one has heard mention or read news related topics that RC had litigation regarding injury (?) from ice skating. We always hear the negative, it is all over the media and all over the internet. Folks going overboard, people being air lifted, people throwing stuff overboard, beyond drunkenness, lol... This came without warning! LOL

It is a pathetic world that others seek to lay blame on someone else for their own chocies and actions. jmho

I think seasoned skaters do feel put off by having to wear a helmet on board to skate. It is new to them, uncomfortable and not something most are accustomed to if they do skate. Even recreational skaters, has anyone ever seen folks wearing them skating at Rockafeller center? Central park? Any indoor recreation rink? I dont beleive anyone would want to grin and bear something that makes them uncomfortable. Especially when they skate at home. I dont see the correlation to texting and driving which KILLS WAY TOO MANY :(

I have read, not often, but have read comments on cruise critic how a parent is so looking forward to their child ice skating on board because they have never had the opportunity to ice skate. For these folks I agree a helmet should be worn.

Part of the problem is that an experienced skater can be knocked down by one of those unexperienced skaters - I've had it happen. And the cruise line is just protecting themselves.

Bottom line - their rink - their rules.

While I can understand your germophobia, can you elaborate on your other reasons for being so adamantly opposed to having ice rinks on cruise ships? If you see the Ice Shows you might have a different opinion.

I too vote that ice rinks don't belong on a cruise ship......although, sitting thru most of the shows is some of the best sleep I ever got.

Growing up on the east coast, I ice skated all the time. My granddaughters live in CA and don't see ice much. In fact, our Voyager cruise was their first foray into ice skating. My daughter was VERY GLAD there were wearing helmets. Both girls fell and the little younger one (6) hit hard. She went backwards and hit her head on the ice. Kids don't mind helmets. It's a part of their every day life. They wear helmets biking and skate boarding. If you tell them they need a helmet, they wear one!

Archived