Kindle Question

Live4cruises

Oh yes! They will be fun. Exicted the days coming way down now. Happy Birthday:D

Thanks!

I have (I think) just one more question about the 3G. If you don't need the data plan to access your email, then what are the data plans for?

Amazon does not speak about a data plan other than to say.... as copied from their Kindle 3G web page: Free 3G Wireless – No monthly payments, no annual contracts. Wondering where you might have read about a Kindle data plan?

My wife has the Kindle and my son has the iPad. The iPad is about $200 more. You can download a Kindle app for the iPad. With this app you can access all of the Amazon library that you can with the Kindle. My wife loves her Kindle. The iPad has all of the functionality of the Kindle and then some. iPad has a much larger screen, about the same weight. iPad gives you the choice between unlit or back lit. And then there are all of the other Apple applications and internet browser to enhance is diverse user functions.

Much of what is mentioned above for the iPad is true & both iPad + Kindle are great devices, but I see 2 statements that are not currently accurate since Amazon's August introduction of the latest Kindle 3 models. The current Kindle Wi-Fi only unit is $139 vs $499 for the iPad Wi-Fi. As for the Wi-Fi + 3G models, Kindle = $189 vs. iPad starting at $629 which is more than triple the cost for an iPad, or $360-$440 more. Then consider the Kindle's 3G with $0 cost vs. iPad's $15-$25 monthly 3G cost. As for the weight, the Kindle is 8.7 oz. for the 3G vs. iPad 25.6 oz. or almost 3x heavier for the iPad. Dimensions of both also = about 3x greater cubic volume for the iPad. Current prices for the iPad. Specs for iPad. Kindle specs are shown on above Kindle link, then scroll down a few pages. I have tried the iPad and really like it a lot but, IMHO, in a totally different product class than a Kindle. Click on underlined text above to see info. :)

I just got a Kindle and I love it. I read a lot and the books are taking over our house. I've got to get busy and donate them. With the Kindle, I don't have the problem. Also, there are so many free books. Did you ever get a free one from BAMM? You can also sample the book before you buy. I'm really looking forward to not having to pack books for our up coming cruise.

I am in exactly the same position - I have hundreds of books and despite extensive built-in bookshelves, they were becoming a problem. The Kindle solves that problem. I've donated hundreds of books in the past, too. I have to use a spreadsheet to keep track of books I have read so I don't purchase the same one over again. I have done this a number of times.

I am about to go on a 16 day re-positioning cruise leaving from Civitavecchia going to Fort Lauderdale. Between 8 days at sea and a 9 hour flight, there is no way I could pack enough books to satisfy my habit.

I've only had mine for about 6 weeks. One drawback so far is that it is cumbersome to search the Kindle stores if you are not looking for a specific book or author. I use Barnes and Noble's web site to locate books I might want to read and then see if they are available on Kindle. Frankly, I do not care for the way Amazon.com handles searches for books when you want to browse either.

It is true that many books are not available in Kindle format but there are older books that are free or priced very low - less than a dollar in some cases.

Suppose I will take a 28-day cruise in South America and want to read the NYT every day. If we subscribe, will Kingle 3G download it free of charge?

Having struggle with costly ship internet, Kindle's ability to handle email would be a blessing. I could always answer them from a landbased Internet operation.

My kindle has shipped and now I'm wondering what kind of cover I should get. Any suggestions? I don't want the expensive designer leather one. Something reasonable.

My wife & I have now ordered the one I linked a couple of days ago in this post. My wife chose the red & I went with black. They also offer white or pink.

Suppose I will take a 28-day cruise in South America and want to read the NYT every day. If we subscribe, will Kingle 3G download it free of charge?

Having struggle with costly ship internet, Kindle's ability to handle email would be a blessing. I could always answer them from a landbased Internet operation.

There is a charge for international subscription service.

Copied from Amazon Kindle 3G page:

• International Subscription Service: Receive all of your newspaper, magazine, and blog subscription content wirelessly for a weekly fee of $4.99.
  • Link on Kindle page showing 3G coverage map. Click & drag to scroll map or type country in search box.

Truthfully nook does everything Kindle does and vice versa. It is just easier to download books from souces like a public library on a nook. I also have had friends email me books and been able to get them in my nook with no problems. Pricing is fairly close so it all boils down to who you want to purchase from. I did a lot of reviewing before buying my nook and a friend who is a librarian who owns a Kindle suggested that she thought the nook was better and wished she would have waited to purchase that instead.

LynnObie -- Thank you. Seems Kindle is the way to go in my situation.

You're welcome!

Truthfully nook does everything Kindle does and vice versa.....

Hi Lisa... I know the nook is also a great device & most folks love theirs. Just wondering about how it would work in barante's case for his daily NY Times subscription? Do you know if the nook can also get subscriptions by 3G either free or for for a fee while traveling internationally? Someone led me to believe that subscription dowloads to nook were only by Wi-Fi, which could most likely be done on his cruise if he signed up for internet access.

As far as South American cruise is concerned, we can survive without a Kindle or a Nook, if the latter turns out to be compatible in our situation. We can because we will sail on the Veendam which has one of those fabulous HAL destination libraries with good book selections, some in multiple copies, and free Internet access to the New York Times web edition.

But if the email function works the way I think it does, getting free or nominal fee access to e-mail would be the thing that clinches the deal.

You're welcome!

Hi Lisa... I know the nook is also a great device & most folks love theirs. Just wondering about how it would work in barante's case for his daily NY Times subscription? Do you know if the nook can also get subscriptions by 3G either free or for for a fee while traveling internationally? Someone led me to believe that subscription dowloads to nook were only by Wi-Fi, which could most likely be done on his cruise if he signed up for internet access.

I have to admit I do not subscribe to any of the newspapers on my nook but you can receive the following newspapers sent daily to the nook.

The New York Times

The Wall Street Journal

The Washington Post

The Los Angeles Times

The Boston Globe

The Chicago Tribune

The Denver Post

The Dallas Morning News

The Star Tribune ( Minneapolis)

The Columbus Dispatch

The International Herald Tribune

The San Jose Mercury News

The Washington Times

The Baltimore Sun

The Salt Lake City Tribune

and several others.

I pulled up for the New York Times and to buy one issue it is 99 cents and for a subscription is it $19.99. Not sure how long the subscription is good for.

Newpapers like the Los Angeles times are just $75 cents an issue and the subscription is $9.99 It looks like they all vary in price.

I am thinking if you have the 3G you would not need to log into the ships Wi-Fi, for purchasing purposes and receiving of the newspaper but then I am not totally sure.

Doesn't anyone do like me and just go to the local library to check out a book?

There is an author I am reading all her books and she is in negotiations with her publsiher to get her books released in ebook form so those yes I would get from the public library. But once you use the nook or Kindle it is hard to go back to a regular book especially when traveling. In the past between Tom and I we would easily be lugging along 10 books many would be hardbacks. With weight restrictions in flying and just the sheer fact it gives us so much more room it is the travelers best friend. On long flights I will often finish a book and be ready to start in on another one and the second book is at my finger tips ;)

As far as South American cruise is concerned, we can survive without a Kindle or a Nook, if the latter turns out to be compatible in our situation. We can because we will sail on the Veendam which has one of those fabulous HAL destination libraries with good book selections, some in multiple copies, and free Internet access to the New York Times web edition.

But if the email function works the way I think it does, getting free or nominal fee access to e-mail would be the thing that clinches the deal.

That's exactly why I went ahead and ordered one this weekend.

.....But if the email function works the way I think it does, getting free or nominal fee access to e-mail would be the thing that clinches the deal.

I have to admit I do not subscribe to any of the newspapers on my nook but you can receive the following newspapers sent daily to the nook......I am thinking if you have the 3G you would not need to log into the ships Wi-Fi, for purchasing purposes and receiving of the newspaper but then I am not totally sure.

Quoted from Barnes & Noble nook FAQ & Support site:

Q: Will new issues of newspapers and magazines be downloaded to my NOOK while I'm traveling?

A: Yes, if you are traveling in the United States, or if you are abroad but connected to a supported Wi-Fi® hotspot, new issues are delivered to your online digital library in both cases. When traveling abroad without Wi-Fi® access, new issues are not downloaded to your NOOK (automatically or manually).

Q: How do I use the NOOK Beta Web browser?

A: You can access the Beta Web browser on your NOOK by tapping the browser icon on the Home screen. The NOOK browser will only connect to the Internet when NOOK is connected to a Wi-Fi® hotspot. If you are not connected to a hotspot, or only connected via the 3G connection, you will be unable to access Web sites. You can use the touchscreen to navigate the web and to enter URLs.

It looks like nook users need to have Wi-Fi access in order to either use the web browser (including web based e-mail) or to download magaziner & newspaper subscriptions while traveling abroad. These may be very minor limitations to some but might seem important to barante. Frankly, learning that I can use the 3G network on a cruise ship to access my web based e-mail is what made me ask for a Kindle 3G for my birthday.:)

If you use the Kindle's 3G capability while on ship, would you incur any satellite charges from HAL (as apparently you do if you use your cell phone)?

How could they???They have no where to charge it. With your cell it is your Cell Phone provider that you get the bill from, when you log on to your laptop you have signed up for internet and pay thru the ship.

When you get the cover, please let us know how you like it. I'm curious about how that stand will work and how heavy the cover is.

I'll be happy to return here & answer your question but not expecting delivery of the cover 'til very late Oct. I hope it gets here before our cruise!:eek:

If you use the Kindle's 3G capability while on ship, would you incur any satellite charges from HAL (as apparently you do if you use your cell phone)?[quote

Quote:=LAFFNVEGAS>:How could they???They have no where to charge it. ......

Exactly... After reading this post a few pages back, I did some further research mentioned here. This led me to wanting a Kindle for the 3G web browsing / e-mail capability while cruising.:)

I can't say enough positive things about my Kindle. I love it so much I bought one for my sister and I plan on buying my brother and sister-in-law each one for Christmas. It is so easy to use and read, especially in the bright sunlight. I can't wait to bring it on my first cruise in February.

I'll be happy to return here & answer your question but not expecting delivery of the cover 'til very late Oct. I hope it gets here before our cruise!:eek:

Exactly... After reading this post a few pages back, I did some further research mentioned here. This led me to wanting a Kindle for the 3G web browsing / e-mail capability while cruising.:)

I'm still worried. If you use your cell phone, you incur satellite charges by HAL, right? So why wouldn't the Kindle 3G be the same?

If this works, it'll be like getting the Kindle for free. I spent $300 on internet time on my transatlantic.

I have actually found that my monthly expenditures for books has decreased! There are a lot of books that are free. I download 2 - 3 free books (many that I have really liked!) for every one I purchase.

Additionally, I find that it is more convenient laying in sun.

Enjoy!

How can you access a 3G network when you are at sea? You have to be fairly close to a tower to pick up 3G don't you? So far I've never seen a tower at sea.:rolleyes:

I am trying to decide whether I want an ereader. At this point I am trying to decide between the Nook and the Kindle - if I buy one at all.

I'm still worried. If you use your cell phone, you incur satellite charges by HAL, right? So why wouldn't the Kindle 3G be the same?......

My words in blue.... Info copied from Amazon page linked appear in black or orange......

When I use my cell phone on HAL or Celebrity, the charges appear on my monthly Verizon bill as roaming charges & have to assume your cell charges appear on your monthly bill as well. So, tell me, where would you suppose the Kindle 3G charges might appear? It's not like your Kindle is registered to a billing account other than at Amazon who clearly says on their web site.....

Quote: "Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) is the easiest option because there is no wireless setup—you are ready to shop, purchase, and read right out of the box. Built-in Free 3G connectivity uses the same wireless signals that cell phones use, but there are no monthly fees or commitments—Amazon pays for Kindle’s 3G wireless connectivity. The added convenience of 3G enables you to download ebooks anytime, anywhere, while on the go—without having to find a Wi-Fi hotspot connection. With wireless coverage in over 100 countries and territories, Kindle 3G is a great option for travelers. Check 3G coverage area."

Amazon will charge you.... for certain personal document conversion services which you can read about further down the Amazon page linked above. That portion is copied below but has nothing to do with web browsing on their free 3G offer. I am only passing along what I have read here and at Amazon. I have yet to personally try it but believe the other CC members who have tried it & posted their personal experience. :)

Quote: "Carry and Read Your Personal Documents

Improved, Built-In PDF Reader

Native PDF support allows you to carry and read all of your personal and professional documents on the go. With Amazon's Whispernet service, you can send your documents directly to your Kindle and read them anytime, anywhere. Now you can add notes and highlights, use the dictionary look-up, and read password-protected PDFs. You can also magnify PDFs by viewing them in landscape mode, and zoom into any area of a PDF up to 300% and pan to easily view small print and detailed tables and graphics. You also have the option to have your PDF document converted to the Kindle format so that it reflows. Learn More

Personal Document Service Via Whispernet

Kindle makes it easy to take your personal documents with you, eliminating the need to print. Each Kindle has a unique and customizable e-mail address. You can set your unique e-mail address on your Manage Your Kindle page. This allows you and your approved contacts to send Word, PDF documents, and pictures to your Kindle via Whispernet for a small fee—see details. Kindle supports wireless delivery of unprotected Microsoft Word (DOC, DOCX), PDF, HTML, TXT, RTF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PRC and MOBI files. Some complex PDF and DOCX files might not format correctly on your Kindle.

To avoid any charges, you can always download personal documents via your computer and transfer them to your Kindle using USB or a Wi-Fi connection. Learn more

Password Protection

With new password protection functionality, you can choose to lock your Kindle automatically when you’re not using it."

How can you access a 3G network when you are at sea?.....

My understanding is that HAL & Celebrity both use 3G for their cell phone service that has now been offered for at least the last couple of years. There are earlier posts on this thread from folks who have used their Kindle this way.

My understanding is that HAL & Celebrity both use 3G for their cell phone service that has now been offered for at least the last couple of years. There are earlier posts on this thread from folks who have used their Kindle this way.

That sounds almost too good to be true! It does make the Kindle 3G a better option if reading email is important to you since it uses 3G for web browsing. What about other cruiselines though?

I am really learning a lot on this thread. Thanks to all of you who are in the know.

Archived