? Celebrity Cruise/Tour?

Hot2Travel

Am interested in "Millennium/Alaska Cruise Tour 21". Anyone know if Celebrity will allow me to upgrade their 'Resurrection Bay Wildlife Cruise' to 'Keni 6 hour National Park Tour', also upgrade their 'Discover Denali Tour' to 'The Tundra Wilderness Tour'. :confused:

We are booked on the Celebrity Cruisetour #21, departing Vancouver on July 15th. As far as I know, Celebrity will not let you upgrade and pay the difference. I asked my TA about the Denali History Tour, which is included in the cruisetour. We wanted to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour. She said that we can book the TWT, but Celebrity will not accept the price differential between the two. We would have to pay for the TWT in full. I was a bit disappointed, since the tickets for the History Tour will be wasted, and we have to pay for the TWT in full. If you get any other feedback, I would like to know, since it would help us out, too.

We are booked on the Celebrity Cruisetour #21, departing Vancouver on July 15th. As far as I know, Celebrity will not let you upgrade and pay the difference. I asked my TA about the Denali History Tour, which is included in the cruisetour. We wanted to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour. She said that we can book the TWT, but Celebrity will not accept the price differential between the two. We would have to pay for the TWT in full. I was a bit disappointed, since the tickets for the History Tour will be wasted, and we have to pay for the TWT in full. If you get any other feedback, I would like to know, since it would help us out, too.

Will keep in touch. I just may try calling Celebrity for an opinion, as we have not yet booked the #21 :)

If you aren't able to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour you could reserve the Denali Park shuttle bus to Toklat instead. It only costs $25; it travels the same road and turns around at the same place (Mile 52) as the Tundra WildernessTour. [url=http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/upload/Park-Road-Map-(rev2-13-09)-web.jpg][/url]

The problem might be that you don't have enough time. Sometimes the tours arrive to Denali late in the afternoon so there's no time to do anything more than the short History Tour.

This link provides info on the tour buses and park buses

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

Here's a link to the map so you can see the stops.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/upload/Park-Road-Map-(rev2-13-09)-web.jpg

Will keep in touch. I just may try calling Celebrity for an opinion, as we have not yet booked the #21 :)

We are booked on cruise tour 17, leaving July 1st, which includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour. You may want to look into this

When I was in Denali a few weeks ago, Aramark (who runs the buses) had a sign posted that you could a) upgrade your DNHT to a TWT at their desks, which are at Reilly Creek Campground, the Wilderness Access Center, and McKinley Chalet Resort and pay the difference between the two tours; and b) you could trade in your DNHT ticket for a ticket on ANY shuttle in the park without paying anything extra. I think they may have a $5 or so exchange fee, though.

I've ridden the shuttle bus twice to Eielson which is 8 hr RT. I was perfectly comfortable. My 80 yr old mother was on the last trip and had no complaints. It's similar in appearance to a school bus. Our plan was to go all the way to Wonder Lake (11 hrs) but the mountain wasn't visible so we didn't bother. My friend who is 65 went to Wonder Lake 2 days in a row on the shuttle.

I've never ridden the tour bus so I can't compare. But for one third the cost I'd take a little discomfort. (You also have to provide your own lunch and bev on the shuttle.)

It would be worthwhile to contact Aramark about the upgrade Wolfie saw. However it may have been due to the end of season and there were vacant seats to fill.

Am interested in "Millennium/Alaska Cruise Tour 21". Anyone know if Celebrity will allow me to upgrade their 'Resurrection Bay Wildlife Cruise' to 'Keni 6 hour National Park Tour', also upgrade their 'Discover Denali Tour' to 'The Tundra Wilderness Tour'. :confused:

My wife and I initally booked #21 for May next year. We "down-sized" to #14....a 12 nighter.....and saved over $1500. Part of that savings is that the TWT is INCLUDED!!!....

True...we don't get the time in Seward but, other than that, we didn't have to sacrifice any "must-do's".................

We wanted to go to Fairbanks, and either #14 or #17 didn't go there. The other one had only 1 night (I think) and one didn't have an overnight in Seward. Cruisetour #21 gives you everything....1nt Seward, 1nt Anchorage, 1nt Talkeetna, 2nt Denali, and 2nt Fairbanks. We felt this was the best option for us.

My cruisetour also has the Discover Denali tour but from my investigation of this tour, it doesn’t seem to be an actual tour but it may include admission to the park. I don’t think there is anything to “upgrade”. They will most likely give ideas for your day in the park to purchase on your own. My cruisetour gets into Denali early pm? And then the Discover Denali Tour which is “” only about 2 hours long and includes a video about the park and a lecture and short hike.” according to a cruisecritic post. Sounds more like an orientation. The next day is when we will pay to do either the shuttle or tundra wilderness tour, which really gives me the option to choose when I get there. I am leaning toward the shuttle.

I chose my tour because it fit my 11 day time frame and 2 nights in Fairbanks and Denali. Less changing hotels. I did not investigate the different tours before booking, but I'm not sure I would do anthing differently. I hope to get back to Alaska and do Anchorage/Seward.

Archived