Akaka Falls Hilo

Monty'sMomandDad

:confused:Can anyone tell me how strenuous the walk is to Akaka Falls? Lots of steps?Husband has asthma and has to go at his own pace. Thanks!

I just came back from my 09/25/2010 POA trip and went to Akaka Falls on the Rickys Tour in Hilo.

I'm in fairly good shape (aerobics five days a week but have a troublesome knee) and I would judge the stairs and walk to be above average in physical activity. Also, a good number of stair steps are involved (the knee did not like that!)

In combination with the heat and humidity, IMO, I would hesitate in allowing your husband to attempt this.

I would second that opinion from above. We just got back and I would say it it could be a bit tough for him unless you went at a slow pace.

:confused:What we are really worried about are the steps. Going down, not a problem but how steep going back up? Also, did you go through a tour guide or ship excursion? Thanks again.

:confused:What we are really worried about are the steps. Going down' date=' not a problem but how steep going back up? Also, did you go through a tour guide or ship excursion? Thanks again.[/quote']

The angles of descent/ascent were not very steep Stair step height was of of moderate height.

Ricky's is an independent tour operator. I believe both NCL and Roberts would have treated Akaka Falls as a self-guided attraction. Your basic parking lot stop and given "X" amount of time to take the pathway to the falls.

The angles of descent/ascent were not very steep Stair step height was of of moderate height.

Ricky's is an independent tour operator. I believe both NCL and Roberts would have treated Akaka Falls as a self-guided attraction. Your basic parking lot stop and given "X" amount of time to take the pathway to the falls.

So you used Ricky's? I have seen his company mentioned several times. Thanks again:)

Also take a shorter route to the left in and out instead of the recommended circle route to the right. IMO the longer route was not worth the distance. The falls are worth the trip just take the route to the left from the parking lot.

I have asthma and a bum knee... He'll be fine.. just make sure he brings his puffer if he needs it.. the view is worth it..:D

Also when we went, there was a gentleman sitting at the top making plumeria leis, my husband bought one for me.. I think it was $10 ..

Archived