To Flash or not To Flash

ddgg

I have a Canon A510 with an underwater housing. So far, I've only used it snorkeling, and it works very well. I use the underwater setting with the flash turned OFF.

I will be in Fr Polynesia in about a week, and plan on doing a helmet dive in Bora Bora. They say it will be 15-20 feet.

My question is: at that depth, should I use the built in flash, the flash with the diffuser, or leave the flash turned off? :confused:

I set the flash on my Canon G11 to Auto and it rarely goes off at that depth, plus I have the diffuser. When I'm at 70 feet deep or more, I usually have the flash set at "On" because the light doesn't penetrate as well at that depth. After shooting in questionable light, I quickly check the screen to see how it looks and either turn on, or turn off, the flash.

I've bought strobe and now have to practice with that, should be interesting. :)

ummmm

even 10 feet filters out certain colors so altho there is "enuf" light it does not contain all the colors anymore

if you want to become an underwater photographer you need to know extra light is virtually always needed......

and when using a flash underwater the flash usually needs to be off to the side

particulates in the water will reflect back to the light source, so if the flash is close to the lens the back splatter comes back to the lens and into your picture

This is why you see underwater photog's with their flash units on arms out to the side . . .

I know about back splatter--which is why I do not use a flash when snorkeling since there is ample light close to the surface. I realize a separate flash is best, but I don't have one. I also know that colors disappear at different depths--although I'm not sure which colors at which depths.

What I wanted was advice on how to shoot with the camera I have at 20 feet. From the replies, I think I'll try what LaurieS mentioned she does--put the diffuser on the housing, set the flash on auto, and see what happens. If all else fails, I'll use Photoshop.

Thanks all

well yes

but the way I look at it is once you go photoshop

well, you didn't even need to take the camera with you did ya!

Maybe. But I asked for advice on how to use the equipment that I have, and LaurieS is the only one that came anywhere close to actually answering my question. You gave a lot of good advice if I want to become an "underwater photographer", but you did not answer the question that I asked.

I have a Canon A510 with an underwater housing. So far, I've only used it snorkeling, and it works very well. I use the underwater setting with the flash turned OFF.

I will be in Fr Polynesia in about a week, and plan on doing a helmet dive in Bora Bora. They say it will be 15-20 feet.

My question is: at that depth, should I use the built in flash, the flash with the diffuser, or leave the flash turned off? :confused:

You could use the flash on auto with the diffuser. I did a discover scuba dive in St Martins last year and used my underwater camera at 40 ft without the flash with no problems except the water itself was murky and had a lot of setiment in it. But the lighting was ok. But not sure what the water clarity is in Bora Bora.

The Ump

john

...not sure what the water clarity is in Bora Bora.

From what I've read, the water is incredibly clear. They say you can look in the water from a boat and see the fish at 30 or 40 ft. I hadn't remembered that until you brought it up. I guess I can probably shoot without the flash at 20 ft. if it's really that clear.

Thanks for your help

I shot pics uw using a Nikonos and 1 or 2 strobes for 25 years, then bought an Olympus point and shoot and housing with a diffuser not expecting much in terms of good lighting. Surprisingly, the system works quite well using only the builtin strobe and diffuser. The camera is an FE360, it's still available for less than $100. plus housing. See backscatter.com for their best in several price ranges. I use the strobe almost all the time. Not using it only when there are particles (backscatter) between me and subject. I have used on macro settings without problems with backscatter when the viz is 10-12 feet, so there's a lotta stuff, again particles; in the water--with the builtin strobe and the diffuser built onto the Olympus housing...............I then use Picasa, a free program from the Google empire; to color correct a bit and crop. I think this free program is at least as capable as Photoshop Elements............

Archived