Adventures on the Carnival Conquest… a review of the Sep 26 7 day cruise to Cozumel

*Mach*

It was great to finally me you, as well.

Y'all have got to sail with us again!

:D

Hopefully we'll find ourselves on the same ship in the near future.

As of now we're looking into a 5 day on the Triumph out of Galveston in about a year for our next cruise.

Firefly, I don't recall seeing any hostility on the boards last week regarding Mach or the Crazies.

crew

Thanks, maybe its just a couple of folks. I saw a thread yesterday started against the Crazies to throw them off the Carnival boards, then I had to leave the house so dont know how bad it got. Im trying to post less (lol less is relative I admit), thinking folks are wishing we came back complaining and entertaining them with horror stories. I had some great friends I got to visit with. G and no G especially I got to spend a lot of time with. It was fun to stop by the Crazy table on the Lido and say hi and catch up on the news. Walter seemed to be anchoring the table to hold it. He was great. Im just emailing friends now about my great cruise, dont want to step on toes.

That was a nice big room for the M&G. I was at a larger M&G on Triumph and they put us in the piano room and we could hardly get to where many of us were in the same picture (still lots of fun, but squashed). Mach thats a good panaroma shot of the M&G you posted. Luckily Im to the right of the picture :D

Elegant evening and the Captain’s reception… OK, so the dress code isn’t what it used to be. I didn’t bring a tie this time. I guess I’ve given into the changes but the more I experience the ‘new’ Captain’s Reception the more I miss the old way. It’s pleasant enough to walk along the Promenade and see the crew standing about but it’s not… well… elegant. I’ve discussed this with John Heald in the past and he’s starting to agree. If, and only if, you march the entire length of the ship on the Promenade deck will you get an opportunity to meet all of the folks that you would normally meet in the reception line. Granted, you probably get to spend more time with them that with the previous event but, geez, unless you know someone on the crew or you’re familiar with the designations for the various officer positions you could walk up to the Maitre d’ and thank him for the smooth ride. I like the old way better.

So, after a short rest in our cabin we changed clothes to head down to the Promenade and have some fun. As I’m sure many of you are aware drinks are a dollar off at all of the bars along the Promenade for three hours on the first Elegant evening. It’s not much but it’s a bit of a lure to that deck. We grabbed a cocktail with the Scots in our arms and went wandering off.

The first folks we encountered were Marvin Barrantes, the Hotel Director, and the Master of the ship, Captain Sammartano. I’ve sailed with Marvin on a number of occasions and he’s a gem. He waved Stitch and I over, commented about the Scots being with us again and took us over to meet the Captain. I’ve got to say, he’s VERY funny. I got a picture of him with the Scots…

CraziesSep26138.jpg

I asked Marvin to get in the next picture so he walks over and tries to take one of the Scots, Machimo Marino… the bird, and the Captain snatches him away from Marvin. It was wonderfully funny, like to kids fighting over the same toy.

CraziesSep26139.jpg

Oooooo… I forgot to tell y’all… when we were setting up the reception table staff member after staff member came by to say hi. One of them was our Maitre d’. He told us he wanted a lanyard and a Crazies name tag, stood there and chatted for at least 20 minutes festooned just like a Crazie and had a great time with the Scots. He LOVED Captain Pazzo. When I went into Vincent’s to set up for the M&M Charlieanne presented me with something rather special for the Cap’n… a Carnival crew member name tag… yep… it’s official… Pazzo is now a Carnival Captain!!!

Stitchpics073.jpg

And so we continued to walk along the Promenade saying hi to Crazies and meeting more of the staff. We ran into this wonderful girl who was a photographer on the Ecstasy when we sailed in February. She stopped us to say hi and that she remembered us from that voyage.

CraziesSep26140.jpg

Ya’ know… you’ve just gotta love folks like that. These people never cease to amaze me.

Just a bit farther toward the bow we encountered a group of lovely ladies who wanted to meet the Scots. Of course, the Scots LOVE attention so we obliged.

CraziesSep26141.jpg

The second girl from the right is from Jamaica and told us how excited she was to be able to get off the ship and meet her family in Montego Bay on Wednesday. Wonderful folks all and a pleasure to talk to.

We did what we do best… more wandering and directly across from the Latour wine bar we ran into this guy… we still don’t know who he is…

CraziesSep26142.jpg

Just kidding, of course, as that’s Chris Jefferson, our fantastic cruise director.

Hey Mach....

My Mother & I will be on the Conquest this Sunday, and I was wondering what movies they are playing on the outdoor screen currently..

I figured you would probably know!

Thanks

Youdambetcha!!

Some really great flicks... Sherlock Holmes (movie); a Miles Davis concert; the Texas v. Oklahoma game; a Celine Dion concert; Up In the Air (movie); The Spy Next Door (movie); The Diary of Alicia Keys (movie); they did Sunday Night Football; The Princess and the Frog (movie); Play The Game (movie) and Monday Night Football. There were a few other flicks but I can't recall them right now...

Have a fabulous time and please tell Chris and all the staff that the Crazies say hi and send our love!!!!

:D

Thank you, thank you! Your reviews are always the best; you always make me feel like I'm on board with you. Just what I needed to build my excitement to a fever pitch: my time on the Conquest is only a month away! My only regret is that the Crazies won't be on board :(, but I'll try to do you proud! :D Still working on February...

Thank you, thank you! Your reviews are always the best; you always make me feel like I'm on board with you. Just what I needed to build my excitement to a fever pitch: my time on the Conquest is only a month away! My only regret is that the Crazies won't be on board :(, but I'll try to do you proud! :D Still working on February...

Outstanding! I think Chris will still be your CD as he'll be leaving for vacation mid November... it's his wife's birthday!!!

Keep workin' on February! We'd love to have you on board with us!!!

:)

Outstanding! I think Chris will still be your CD as he'll be leaving for vacation mid November... it's his wife's birthday!!!

Keep workin' on February! We'd love to have you on board with us!!!

:cool:Mach I left those leather pants with somebody on the cabin crawl, I just don't remember who???:confused::rolleyes::D

It's amazing to me how well the crew can remember names, meet one just once and everytime you run into them, they will call you by name. We had a bar waiter last year that came up and called us by name 1st. time we saw him a year later.

Mach will Chris still be our CD on 11-14-10?

Doug

Hey i joined this forum a while ago as i am about to go on my first carnival cruise in November - and only my second ever! It was nice to read the review and see all the pictures so thanks for that, it gives me a nice insight into cruising with carnival. I'm actually from the UK and don't really know a lot about this line.

Tell me are all the reviews quite so volatile? I almost gave up around page 7! I'm glad i stuck it out though, it has made me really excited for my cruise next month! :)

It's amazing to me how well the crew can remember names, meet one just once and everytime you run into them, they will call you by name. We had a bar waiter last year that came up and called us by name 1st. time we saw him a year later.

Doug

Doug, I fear that Chris will be getting off the ship as you're getting on but I'll email him and ask...

Doug

It is incredible! I don't know how they do it considering the number of folks they meet. It is a good thing, right? :eek:;):p

Hey i joined this forum a while ago as i am about to go on my first carnival cruise in November - and only my second ever! It was nice to read the review and see all the pictures so thanks for that, it gives me a nice insight into cruising with carnival. I'm actually from the UK and don't really know a lot about this line.

Tell me are all the reviews quite so volatile? I almost gave up around page 7! I'm glad i stuck it out though, it has made me really excited for my cruise next month! :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I'm glad you stuck around to read more.

No, most reviews are volatile. Some folks here, a very few, just don't like me and/or the Crazies so the tend to vent when I do a review... Sadly, they consider my reviews to be a forum to critique ME rather than the ship.

No matter, I'm a big boy and I can take it.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the review.

- Mach

Mach you do a great job no matter what anybody says. Like you I absolutley love the Conquest. I've been on her twice, once out of New Orleans and last year out of Galveston. It's selfish but I can't wait til she returns to NOLA, about 4hrs. closer for us Mississippians.

Mach you do a great job no matter what anybody says. Like you I absolutley love the Conquest. I've been on her twice, once out of New Orleans and last year out of Galveston. It's selfish but I can't wait til she returns to NOLA, about 4hrs. closer for us Mississippians.

we are gonna be SO sad when she leaves Galveston!:(

I found it ! It was in the middle of the page

on Oct 1 !

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2010/10/01/the-very-first-time/

As I mentioned on Facebook, the Carnival Conquest was forced to miss both Grand Cayman and Jamaica this cruise because of bad weather. And while the vast majority of guests understand that this is way beyond any cruise lines control there are still those who aren’t as understanding obviously. Having been in this situation many times I know exactly what the ship’s crew is going through and in particular I know what the Cruise Director Chris Jefferson is having to deal with. Well luckily this cruise he has SWAT team of fun onboard with him……yep, it’s Host Mach and the Cruise Crazies. This morning Mach sent me this report:

Hello, my friend

What can I say? The world full of twits and xxxxx.

Chris and Sam, the ACD, have had a hard row to hoe to be sure. I’ve got to tell you that the entire staff, from Marvin Barrantes, the Hotel Director, to our cabin steward have been wonderful. The Conquest and her staff and crew continue to be my favorite for all the right reasons.

Yesterday, in typical Crazies fashion, about a dozen of us sat at a table on the Lido Deck across from the bar and cheered every Carnival employee as they walked by. We wanted them to know that we, at least, appreciated all they do for us. One of our folks described it as ‘inciting a riot of FUN!’ Brilliant… simply brilliant.

Cozumel is gorgeous this morning and the Crazies will be invading Nachi Cocom in short order for a day of fun in the sun, playing in the blue water and loving life in general. I hope that the people who were so negative yesterday can enjoy a day on shore and come back a bit humbled and a bit more realistic.

Please feel free to add this on the blog. I want EVERYONE to know what a fantastic job the staff of our Carnival Conquest has done.

Please send along our love to Heidi and Kye.

Thanks, John!

All the best.

Mach

Well Mach, I want to tell you that you and your group are amazing people. On yesterday’s blog I had mentioned how Chris had said that you and the Crazies had been his biggest supporters and I want to say a HUGE thank you to you all. Sitting on Promenade cheering the crew is something I have never heard of before and I have sent this report to some very high up beards. Thanks mate, I hope you have smooth seas on the way home and please thank everyone for being there and for being fun.

Archived