Gibraltar on own

I have read some responses recommending catching a taxi tour at port to the top of the Rock - Has anyone gone the cable car and gotten the ticket that includes the audio walking tour and walked to the St. Michaels cave and Siege Tunnels? If so, is the walk between these site long? The Gibraltor website has the total price at 26E inclusive of admissions. Do you see the same thing with the taxi/mini vans you get at the Port??

I have read some responses recommending catching a taxi tour at port to the top of the Rock - Has anyone gone the cable car and gotten the ticket that includes the audio walking tour and walked to the St. Michaels cave and Siege Tunnels? If so, is the walk between these site long? The Gibraltor website has the total price at 26E inclusive of admissions. Do you see the same thing with the taxi/mini vans you get at the Port??

Hi Neil

Found this thread which may prove useful, check out the ports part of this website, it will be full of really useful information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.phpt=1143471&highlight=gibraltar.

Going up the rock on you own via the Cable car can take you half a day. I don't think that the distance is that far - maybe about 20 minutes on foot - and flatish for most of the way between St Michael's Cave, the Apes Den and the Tunnels (there are some steep parts). The taxi tour is only 2 - 3 hours so quicker and you have your own guide. It is about the same price. The cable car is 'fun' for those who like heights.

If you only have a short stop, the taxi tour is a really good and popular option. The driver will drop you off in town so that you can go to Main Street, stop for lunch or see something else.

There are taxis at the port, but I think that if you are not out early there is a queue. There are also taxis waiting in the middle of town which is a 1 km walk away (all flat). You can catch a number 4 bus to the Cable car. The bus stop is on the road leading to the right from the evacuee statue as you walk into town. It is quite a long route though. A taxi to the cable car station would be possible but the driver would not be very happy with you (they would prefer to give you the rock tour)

• 3 years later...

What is the best way to see just the Great Siege Tunnels? We're in town Monday, 11 November from 08:00 to 14:00. I'm confused about needing a Nature Reserve ticket to see the Tunnels. I can't find any bus route from the Cruise Port to anywhere near the tunnels. We DON'T want to take the cable car to the top and walk down, rather just go directly to the Tunnels. Has anyone taken a cab just for this purpose without a more extended tour? Did your driver wait for your return trip? If not, were you able to get another cab from there back to your ship? How much did it it cost?

If you are good walkers you can walk directly to the tunnels, you still have to pay the entrance to the nature reserve because the tunnels are just one of the attractions.

I like the tunnels they are one of my favourite parts of the upper rock, but to be honest, you have long enough to do a full upper rock tour, a pity to miss the views all the way around.

There are plenty of taxi drivers waiting at the ship to give you a full tour. You could not do part by taxi because the upper rock is a one way route. They would still have to do the whole route, just more quickly because they would not be stopping off.

If you insist on missing all of the other attractions and want advice about walking to the upper rock, let me know.

What is the best way to see just the Great Siege Tunnels? We're in town Monday, 11 November from 08:00 to 14:00. I'm confused about needing a Nature Reserve ticket to see the Tunnels. I can't find any bus route from the Cruise Port to anywhere near the tunnels. We DON'T want to take the cable car to the top and walk down, rather just go directly to the Tunnels. Has anyone taken a cab just for this purpose without a more extended tour? Did your driver wait for your return trip? If not, were you able to get another cab from there back to your ship? How much did it it cost?

Two sets of tunnels.:

The higher is the Great Siege tunnel & galleries. This is best done as part of the Upper Rock taxi/van tour mentioned by others. A great half-day, currently £22/€25 per person inclusive with taxis/vans at the port. Drivers can take you back to the ship or drop you in town at Casemates Square for a beer or snack then walk the shops & minor sights of Main Street then walk back to the ship about 20 mins.

The lower is the WW2 tunnels. You can do this by bus from Casemates Square to the Moorish Castle, then walk up past the castle (50pence admission to the Nature Reserve at this point) but it's a steep climb. Or go up by taxi from the ship - cars pay £10 to enter the Nature Reserve but I don't know if this applies to taxis (perhaps O&B's mum knows), so you may have to pay that extra £10 or bale out of the taxi at the Moorish Castle. Admission to the WW2 tunnels I think is around £8.

The WW2 tunnels aren't part of the regular Upper Rock tour, but the taxis & vans pass the entrance on their way down at the end of the tour, so you can ask to be dropped there. After the WW2 tunnel tour, walk down past the Moorish castle for a bus back into town.

Gib's buses are free, except for those going to the Spanish border.

We visited the WW2 tunnels a while back - we weren't impressed, but apparently the tours are much better now.

I doubt you'll have time to include the WW2 tunnels, but plenty of time for the regular Upper Rock tour & some time for the town afterwards.

Try this link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1824967&highlight=gibraltar

JB :)

Two sets of tunnels.:

The higher is the Great Siege tunnel & galleries. This is best done as part of the Upper Rock taxi/van tour mentioned by others. A great half-day, currently £22/€25 per person inclusive with taxis/vans at the port. Drivers can take you back to the ship or drop you in town at Casemates Square for a beer or snack then walk the shops & minor sights of Main Street then walk back to the ship about 20 mins.

The lower is the WW2 tunnels. You can do this by bus from Casemates Square to the Moorish Castle, then walk up past the castle (50pence admission to the Nature Reserve at this point) but it's a steep climb. Or go up by taxi from the ship - cars pay £10 to enter the Nature Reserve but I don't know if this applies to taxis (perhaps O&B's mum knows), so you may have to pay that extra £10 or bale out of the taxi at the Moorish Castle. Admission to the WW2 tunnels I think is around £8.

The WW2 tunnels aren't part of the regular Upper Rock tour, but the taxis & vans pass the entrance on their way down at the end of the tour, so you can ask to be dropped there. After the WW2 tunnel tour, walk down past the Moorish castle for a bus back into town.

Gib's buses are free, except for those going to the Spanish border.

We visited the WW2 tunnels a while back - we weren't impressed, but apparently the tours are much better now.

I doubt you'll have time to include the WW2 tunnels, but plenty of time for the regular Upper Rock tour & some time for the town afterwards.

Try this link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1824967&highlight=gibraltar

JB :)

As John Bull says - there are two tunnels. I think you want the great siege tunnels, and you can walk to them if you are energetically but you still have to pay the full entrance fee. The taxis would still have to pay the fee so the only way to get a taxi to take you half way there is asking for a lift to the tower of homage which is the vehicle exit of the upper rock nature reserve.

As I said it is a pity to miss the views and the walk around st Michael's cave which the full tour would give you, but you would have a pleasant couple of hours seeing the last part of the tour.

John ... Local buses are only now free if you have a local ID card. They are only £1 if you use them without a card, so it is not a deal breaker. I think the problem

using the local bus to get up to the moorish castle is that it does literally go 'around the houses' and a fit person would actually get there quicker by walking up Engineers Lane and hiking up Castle Steps. Take an oxygen supply ! There are lots of steps! You cannot get lost, you just keep going up. Then you get into the nature reserve.

Have a good trip whatever you decide to do

Archived