Not Exactly a Review- Quest 9/20/10

tgg

Rather than review the ports on our recent Quest cruise, I thought I would comment on some of the changes that I’ve seen on the Quest – and some of the changes that I was told were coming soon. This was our 7th Azamara cruise.

Shuttle Bus – The shuttles worked well in all the ports in which they were offered. They ran on a posted schedule and there was never a long wait. This was a nice addition.

Smoking Change - I guess someone was reading the comment cards after all. After the first of the year I’m told that there will no longer be smoking permitted in the Looking Glass. (I never knew who was in charge of telling the smoke to stay in the corner. The smoke never seemed to listen and worked its way around the entire room.)

Classical Music - I never liked the elevator music that was played in the halls, the elevators, and the Windows Café. Well, there’s been a change. Classical music (most very familiar) is being played on a 6 hour rotation. I think it will be changed to a 12 hour rotation so there will be little repetition during the day. I don’t function well before my first cup of morning coffee, and until I have it I like it to be nice and quiet. The soothing sounds of classical music make it so much calmer.

Artificial Plants - I love live plants. I have a houseful. But there is something incredibly sad about seeing live plants that are not being taken care of. Plants covered with brown leaves that are falling off. Plants so badly in need of water that they are just kind of lying there waiting for help. So Azamara has switched to artificial plants. They are neat and tidy and look a lot better than dying live ones.

Specialty Coffee – The Mosaic Café was busier than I have ever seen it, probably because the specialty coffees are now included. People are finding it a congenial meeting spot. Good change.

Included Wine – I don’t drink. (Alcoholic drinks give me migraines.) But I’m told that people enjoyed the wines served with lunch and dinner. An effort was made to serve local wines. And, if you didn’t care for the wine being served that night, they were happy to offer replace it with a previous night’s selection.

Concierge – On our last Azamara cruise earlier this year, there was no concierge. Now the Quest has Gary Rowsell. He does all the things that a hotel concierge would do. Gary also seems to have the patience of Job. When I met him, he was dealing with a very difficult lost luggage situation. (NOTE: If you’re a person whose airline has lost her luggage, don’t be verbally abusive to the concierge. He’s doing all he can to help you. Lost luggage is legally the airline’s responsibility, not Azamara’s.) Gary is the personification of excellent customer service and professionalism, and knows how to get things done.

Space for Card Players - Once upon a time, there was a room available for card players right next to the Internet room on deck nine. It even had a door that could be closed. That room was taken over by the spa and the card players were relegated to a corner of the Looking Glass Lounge. This is not a nice quiet place for a game of bridge or canasta or gin. I understand that the Looking Glass is going to be reconfigured to give the card players a nice quiet place once again.

We had a great time on the Quest. One of the highlights of the cruise was a morning hike of the city walls in Kotor Montenegro led by the Captain, Cruise Director, Hotel Manager, Guest Relations Manager, and staff. (Google Kotor Montenegro and see how high it was!) I think the hike was announced on a flyer in our cabin. Anyone could participate. There was no charge. You did not have to sign up. At least 65 people showed up. Extra water was carried by the staff, along with oranges. Most people made it to the top, including my husband. It was strenuous/exhausting and everyone who did it raved about the experience.

The senior staff and crew are still the friendliest at sea. As one of the waitresses explained to me: “I love working on the Quest. If you get sick, they take good care of you. The food is good. And when you have a happy crew, you have a happy ship.”

So to all those who made this such an enjoyable experience, thank you from two very happy passengers.

Toni

Toni,

Didn't they wait for you after the climb in Kotor with champagne?

I saw the poor staff "schlepping" the cart back to the ship (I though it was the fresh catch, but we were told it was the champagne).

When I get home, I will post some of my observations as well. It was a great cruise.

Paul

Toni,

Didn't they wait for you after the climb in Kotor with champagne?

I saw the poor staff "schlepping" the cart back to the ship (I though it was the fresh catch, but we were told it was the champagne).

When I get home, I will post some of my observations as well. It was a great cruise.

Paul

Hi Paul,

There was, indeed, champagne waiting for all the climbers. And water. The staff worked very hard to make this an event not soon forgotten.

John and I loved meeting you and Marsha. Playing trivia with you both was great fun.

I look forward to reading your observations. Happy travels.

Toni

Hi Toni

Praise indeed for Gary. He helped with our lost luggage on a previous cruise and again with our return flights on this trip.

It was wonderful to meet so many lovely people and I was a frequent visitor to the Mosaic for a double expresso. As you say a very nice meeting place.

AZ still 'works the magic'.

Carol

Rather than review the ports on our recent Quest cruise, I thought I would comment on some of the changes that I’ve seen on the Quest – and some of the changes that I was told were coming soon. This was our 7th Azamara cruise.

Shuttle Bus – The shuttles worked well in all the ports in which they were offered. They ran on a posted schedule and there was never a long wait. This was a nice addition.

Smoking Change - I guess someone was reading the comment cards after all. After the first of the year I’m told that there will no longer be smoking permitted in the Looking Glass. (I never knew who was in charge of telling the smoke to stay in the corner. The smoke never seemed to listen and worked its way around the entire room.)

Classical Music - I never liked the elevator music that was played in the halls, the elevators, and the Windows Café. Well, there’s been a change. Classical music (most very familiar) is being played on a 6 hour rotation. I think it will be changed to a 12 hour rotation so there will be little repetition during the day. I don’t function well before my first cup of morning coffee, and until I have it I like it to be nice and quiet. The soothing sounds of classical music make it so much calmer.

Artificial Plants - I love live plants. I have a houseful. But there is something incredibly sad about seeing live plants that are not being taken care of. Plants covered with brown leaves that are falling off. Plants so badly in need of water that they are just kind of lying there waiting for help. So Azamara has switched to artificial plants. They are neat and tidy and look a lot better than dying live ones.

Specialty Coffee – The Mosaic Café was busier than I have ever seen it, probably because the specialty coffees are now included. People are finding it a congenial meeting spot. Good change.

Included Wine – I don’t drink. (Alcoholic drinks give me migraines.) But I’m told that people enjoyed the wines served with lunch and dinner. An effort was made to serve local wines. And, if you didn’t care for the wine being served that night, they were happy to offer replace it with a previous night’s selection.

Concierge – On our last Azamara cruise earlier this year, there was no concierge. Now the Quest has Gary Rowsell. He does all the things that a hotel concierge would do. Gary also seems to have the patience of Job. When I met him, he was dealing with a very difficult lost luggage situation. (NOTE: If you’re a person whose airline has lost her luggage, don’t be verbally abusive to the concierge. He’s doing all he can to help you. Lost luggage is legally the airline’s responsibility, not Azamara’s.) Gary is the personification of excellent customer service and professionalism, and knows how to get things done.

Space for Card Players - Once upon a time, there was a room available for card players right next to the Internet room on deck nine. It even had a door that could be closed. That room was taken over by the spa and the card players were relegated to a corner of the Looking Glass Lounge. This is not a nice quiet place for a game of bridge or canasta or gin. I understand that the Looking Glass is going to be reconfigured to give the card players a nice quiet place once again.

We had a great time on the Quest. One of the highlights of the cruise was a morning hike of the city walls in Kotor Montenegro led by the Captain, Cruise Director, Hotel Manager, Guest Relations Manager, and staff. (Google Kotor Montenegro and see how high it was!) I think the hike was announced on a flyer in our cabin. Anyone could participate. There was no charge. You did not have to sign up. At least 65 people showed up. Extra water was carried by the staff, along with oranges. Most people made it to the top, including my husband. It was strenuous/exhausting and everyone who did it raved about the experience.

The senior staff and crew are still the friendliest at sea. As one of the waitresses explained to me: “I love working on the Quest. If you get sick, they take good care of you. The food is good. And when you have a happy crew, you have a happy ship.”

So to all those who made this such an enjoyable experience, thank you from two very happy passengers.

Toni

Thanks Toni. An objective overview of some issues often missed within "standard" reviews.

Sounds like you had a great time.

David

Hi Paul,

There was, indeed, champagne waiting for all the climbers. And water. The staff worked very hard to make this an event not soon forgotten.

John and I loved meeting you and Marsha. Playing trivia with you both was great fun.

I look forward to reading your observations. Happy travels.

Toni

Hi Toni,

Thanks for the good wishes.

We too enjoyed meeting you and John (as well as some of the other CC members).

Trivia was fun - I wish we could have played more often.

Happy sailings,

Paul

Hi Toni and John

Glad you had a great trip and we agree with the positive changes made on the Quest ...and pleasantly suprised at many of the changes including the wine selection.

Of course they still have the wonderful staff and it was great to see Gary again in his new position . He was extremely helpful and accomplished it with his usual warmth and charm.

We are booked on the Journey in Dec and are looking forward to seeing old friends back on Azamara.

Regards

Steve and Kate

Note to anyone reading this post. We met Steve & Kate on our first Azamara cruise back in March 2008. We've seen them on another cruise since then.

Hi Steve & Kate,

We loved being on the Quest and getting to know the wonderful people who make sailing with Azamara such a lovely experience.

Which cruise are you taking in December? It would be great to see you both again.

Toni

Note to anyone reading this post. We met Steve & Kate on our first Azamara cruise back in March 2008. We've seen them on another cruise since then.

Hi Steve & Kate,

We loved being on the Quest and getting to know the wonderful people who make sailing with Azamara such a lovely experience.

Which cruise are you taking in December? It would be great to see you both again.

Toni

Toni

We will be on the Dec 11 Journey trip. Why don't you join us ...it would be fun. Very quite on CC for this trip.

Steve

Archived