Help!

janniebabe

I'm not a pro by any means, but I would guess that your mask doesn't fit you. If you place it on your face--without using the strap--and inhale through your nose, the mask should stay firmly on your face. If it doesn't, then it will probably fill with water.

Also, make sure that the mask is just on your skin--not over your bangs or hair.

Yes, I would agree that your mask did not fit properly. Go to a dive shop where you can try on several different mask and find one that fits properly.A good mask will cost some money but I just logged dive #496 on my $50, ten year old mask---still works just fine.I prefer a mask with a purge valve--especailly for diving. For snorkeling I also prefer a purge on my snorkel----just easier to clear water.Quality gear will last many years if you tqke care of it.

Is it possible to find a mask that fits well that doesn't cover your nose? I found myself getting claustophobic when I wore one that did - I know, I'm asking a lot! Thanks!

Well that would be called goggles and yes you can find them. They are not intended for snorkeling however because you'd need to wear a nose plug. Also the porpose of having the nose in the eye pocket is that by normal breating you are actually equalizing the pressure in the mask even tho you are not breathing thru your nose.... if you never dive below the surface this seems unimportant tho.

Yes you need a better fitting mask. Equipment that fits correctly will help relieve the claust' feelings as proper fitting gear - well you forget it is there eventually!

Also, a properly fitting mask usually does not require a very tight mask strap. Snug, yes, but not tension like you are pulling back a bow.

Men with facial hair may have a hard time finding any mask that will seal tightly over a moustache. A thin application of vaseline will usually fill in the gaps to provide a tight seal.

Finally, you should learn to clear water from your mask with your face still in the water. Tilt your head so that the water is along an edge of the mask. Inhale throough the snorkel and exhale slowly and steadily through your nose. You can actually push the water out this way.

I have been a snorkeller for years, and my recommendation is, when you pick your mask/snorkel take it to local pool and practice a bit before you go on holidays. I take my kids there, just for a refresher, so we don't waste our precious snorkelling time when we are ready to roll. You might look a little silly to the other swimmers but you will get quite comfortable more quickly with no pressure. Like the previous poster suggested, learn how to clear your mask, at your comfort zone, adjust your straps etc. Have fun, its the greatest!:D

EMOSEWA:cool:

Asking for some advice here! Have attempted snorkeling several times only to stop when my mask started filling (and I mean FILLING) with water. Would love to do this and enjoy it - any advice?

The last time this happened with me, I was on an excursion with a mask my friend had took. The operator pointed out that it was plastic and theirs was glass. I switched to their mask and the problem stopped.

• 2 weeks later...

There is not a mask that fits over glasses. You can buy a mask with correction. Some tour operators have them. There is some natural correction when you use a mask. Things appear closer and slightly larger in the water. If you are as nearsighted as I am, you will not be able to notice this change in appearance. There are some threads on this board that will have info for you. Try the link below.;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1248652

Interesting thread. I'd like to try snorkeling. Is there a mask that will fit over glasses? I don't wear contacts and have lousy vision!

Most good dive shops will be able to sell (or order) you a prescription mask... usually will have lenses inside the mask.

remember.... objects are magnified 25% underwater anyway..... so you might not need a special mask.

It's better to get a mask made of silicone rather than plastic...... it seals to your face better.

Also.... make sure your hair is back off your face, it only needs a few hairs to break the seal on a mask.

But.....once you've got a good mask, you'll be happy with it forever. I'm a diving instructor.... had the same mask since 2003. Wouldn't swap it for the world!!!

Thanks for the advice. I did look at quite a few online options for ordering Rx masks. It's great to see that you can order up to -8.0 diopters and different Rxs in each eye. Unfortunately, I'm -13.50 (ouch) and the truly custom ones are too expensive for just checking out the sport.

There were a couple of options for a frame that sticks/clips into a mask. Going to look into that one a little more. Could possibly have some old lenses cut down to fit. Sounds like with the underwater magnification they wouldn't need to be perfect.

Thanks!

Sara

Archived