Alaska on Century or Infinity - which one ?

SayinHi2Cruising

we chose the Century - I like the itinerary & I could get the cabins I wanted (I got an OV & verandah next to each other) Also in all honesty my understanding is the Century is alot like the grandeur of the seas - which we fell in love with when we traveled her.

Do you like the Century even though it is one of the older ships. We are looking for three cabins as we will be celebrating my husband's birthday on August 31 and the children and grandchildren thought a cruise would be a good idea. Please let me have your thoughts.

Infinity sails on the west side of Vancouver Island. Century sails the Inside Passage which is amazing. If you live in Vancouver, I think the choice would be obvious, since you would need to go to Seattle to sail on Infinity. Century is smaller than the Infinity but it had a major refit in 2007, I think, and the Aqua Spa cafe (lighter fare for breakfast and lunch) was added along with many more balcony cabins. I believe she lost her Thallassotherapy pool then. Enjoy your cruise whatever you choose. I think it is a great way for a family to get together.

Sorry Sauciegertie, I got your post mixed up with the OP who is asking which ship to sail on. We sailed on Century before the refit and really enjoyed our cruise. You should check the review section and read what people are reporting about the ship.

I think that in Alaska the route is the most important. Saling out of Vancouver is beautiful as you are inside the whole way. You miss that going out of Seattle. It is also most likey more calm as you don't sail the open Pacific. We did the Mercury out of Vancouver this summer and it was amazing.

B.

I have sailed Century twice (Caribbean both times) and Infinity once (to Alaska) and they are both nice ships and you cannot go wrong with either one generally speaking.

Infinity is bigger (not by much). Has the indoor pool still. I liked the decor of Century better than the decor of Infinity (strange art on Infinity) -- Century felt a bit more elegant to me. Century also seemed in slightly better condition. But these are really minor differences. I got great service on both ships and I thought the food was comparable in quality as well. I would sail both ships again and would choose the one that had the better itinerary and consider what cabins were available at what price.

We have done both routes on the Infinity. I love the ship but that trip out of Seattle is a bummer for going outside. It's rushed in places too to fit in Victoria for legal/money reasons to the cruise line.

Depending if you are in Victoria or NM getting to Seattle is cheaper. ??

Century is quite a bit smaller and if it is at all like the Mercury it will be a better cruising experience as far as I'm concerned.

I might go on the Infinity again from Seattle once it gets Solticized :)

We sailed on the Infinity last summer and Brent Nixon was the naturalist on board the whole trip. He was outstanding. His talks everyday filled the theater, and he really made the trip. He also did a whale watch from the lounge one evening. He narrated while in the Hubbard Glacier. It would be worth checking to see is he is on the Infinity again!

For Alaska, I would say the ship is secondary to the itinerary/scenery. The Century sails to Hubbard Glacier, which I rate higher than the Tracy Arm sailing on the Infinity.

Keep in mind for many US cruisers flying into Vancouver tends to be more expensive than flying into Seattle. You can fly into Seattle and then take the train or transfer bus across the border, but that requires extra time and cost. So if budget or mobility is an issue, take a look at the Infinity sailing.

We are thinking of going to Alaska next Spring/Summer... which ship would be the best one.. and please add your idea's of why...

Thank you,

Susan :o

First, let me identify myself as a Celebrity Elite cruiser. I love Celebrity. We did the Summit to Alaska and loved it. However, if you want to do a cruisetour package, do Princess. We just did that this summer and they do a great job in all aspects for that type of cruise. The rooms at their lodges are excellent, their baggage handling is great and everything is handled very smoothly. I know this is the Celebrity board, but you need to know the truth about the best cruisetour packages (if that is your choice)

Cruises out of Vancouver have a more scenic route, and calmer waters. Nothing beats sailing out of Vancouver under the Lions Gate Bridge, with Stanley Park and the city on one side, and the North Shore with the mountains on the other.

Cruises out of Seattle, as has been said, go on the West coast of Vancouver Island. You are out in the Pacific where the seas are rougher, and you can't see squat. Sailing in the true inside passage from Vancouver, you have Vancouver Island on one side, and the coast of the mainland of BC on the other. You always see land.

And then there is that stupid stop in Victoria at dinner time on the last night. :rolleyes:

The Century recently had a refurb, and it looks amazing.

Archived