Carnival Liberty 9/25-10/2

steeners81

I'm interested about the details of getting to Xcaret from Cozumel. Can you tell me how long it took to actually get there? And if you'd have been able to take the ferry you were supposed to be on, how long you'd have had to spend at the park? I've always wanted to go, but have been turned off by how involved it seems to get there. But having been to Coz twice now, if we ever go back, I may try Xcaret.

Thanks.

I'm interested about the details of getting to Xcaret from Cozumel. Can you tell me how long it took to actually get there? And if you'd have been able to take the ferry you were supposed to be on, how long you'd have had to spend at the park? I've always wanted to go, but have been turned off by how involved it seems to get there. But having been to Coz twice now, if we ever go back, I may try Xcaret.

Thanks.

The ferry ride takes about 45 minutes and the bus ride maybe 15 minutes. We should have had about 5 hours there. If you do decide to go there I would recommend checking out their web site and looking at the map to see what you want to see and do. Also a tip you can not bring your own sunscreen in there unless it is 100% biodegradable. They will take your sunscreen from you, give it a number and you can pick it up on your way out.

Day 7

The last day :(

We got up and headed to breakfast and then down to general trivia . We actually did better on this one but still did not win but at least we didn’t feel as dumb. After that my bf headed to participate in the volleyball tournament (he won! YAY another medal) while I figured I would go start packing before Bingo. So by the time I headed up to the pool deck I was all packed which seemed like a good idea at the time but later in the review you will see why it wasn’t.

So this round of bingo was for $1199 and was played out by the pool. It was interesting to play out there but I didn’t like it. It was hard to see the screen plus you couldn’t tell if anyone was 1 number away. So as we are playing my bf’s mom said she is one number away and worried she won’t be heard if she gets bingo…we assured her we would be heard. Then they called the next number…BINGO..we were yelling loudly there was no way they would miss us. She ended up splitting it with 3 other people so she got $400 not to bad.

After that we headed to lunch/ chocolate extravaganza. I got my usual Mongolian Wok and then had to try out some chocolate.

414-1.jpg

Pineapple dipped in the choc. Fountain (there was no strawberries I found that disappointing) and some kind of choc won ton and I don’t rememeber the other thing. In the left corner you can see a cup that had choc pudding in it.

416-1.jpg

They were also making swans with choc., vanilla, or strawberry ice cream.

Overall everything was eh.

Going with the choc. theme I decided to get myself a mocha choc. getaway it was very good .

417-1.jpg

After lunch we headed to the amazing hunt. Me, my bf, and his mom were a team, They gave us a sheet with questions that had to be answered about people/places on the ship. On another sheet was a list of items we had to get. Yeah remember earlier about me saying how I was so good about packing. Yeah big mistake. We had to get 5 left shoes, a bikini top (which was fun finding since items like that I tend to stick in weird places in my suitcase since it doesn’t take up much room) and some other stuff that I had already packed away. I ended up just dumping my suitcase out on the bed. We got all our items and answered all the questions in the allotted time. Out of 54 points we got 53 (got one question wrong) but another team got 54 ( I think they lied) and beat us. So we lost and I had to repack.

On to Super Trivia for the third and final round. If I didn’t mention it on the second round I have to thank the Scottish couple who came to the second and third round we would have been lost without them. So a little but about super trivia you had the option of choosing question in any of these categories wacky (our fav), entertainment, history, geography, and sports. So at the end of the round today they announced the winners and we won! YAY. We were given a bag with a bunch of ships on a stck ( I finally got my own) a bottle of champagne and a camera (We gave both to our teammates).

418-1.jpg

The cruising and boozing team

430-1.jpg

A picture of us with our ships on a stick

After that we headed to the venetian lounge for a towel folding demonstration. What I thought was neat about this is they actual gave you towels to follow along with them so you can make your own towel animal

427-1.jpg

A swan made by my bfs mother

After this was 7 game bingo. We played and lost. I did take a picture of the screens they use for bingo if anyone is interested.

439-1.jpg

After this we headed to the photo gallery to decide what pictures we wanted. Yeah it took about 45 minutes to figure out which pictures we all were buying. I got 5 pictures which came out to about $109 I believe. Expensive but I rarely find pictures I like of myself so the fact that I found that many I was buying them. Then we headed to the cabin to finish packing and get ready for dinner. My bf’s family had asked us if we would want to go back to Harrys tonight and we said yes.

Ok if I didn’t mention before I love Harry’s. If you are going on the Liberty make a reservation it is worth it.

We started out with “chefs compliments” dish

The ladies got a fish soup while the men got eggplant on some sort of cheese. I switched with my bf cause I can’t stand fish. Both were very good.

458-1.jpg

459-1.jpg

Next up appetizers

460-1.jpg

Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail

461-1.jpg

New England crab cake

462-1.jpg

Beef Carpaccio

After dinner we headed back to the cabin to change and get our luggage out.

Our towel animal ( well not an animal) for the night

440-2.jpg

Then we headed down to the battle of the sexes revenge. We both got involved in the games and the men won. After that was the liars club which was pretty fun. Then the $10,000 bingo in which you could win $10,000 if you covered your card in 30 numbers or less. Yeah that’s pretty much impossible, but they gave you $5,000 in 40 numbers or less, $2,000 for 50 numbers or less, and $1,000 anything over 50. Somebody won $1,000. The also had the win a cruise raffle which we did not win but I had already won a free cruise on NCL so I think my luck had run out with that. After that was the Carnival legends showtime. I thought that was pretty funny. Its where the guests dress up as music stars and sing one of their famous songs. After that I wandered around and took some pictures of the ship. Some of the pictures I am going to post have been pictures I took around the ship that didn’t fit into my review.

053-1.jpg

Hot and Cold Lounge

127-1.jpg

Out by the Versailles pool

396-1.jpg

Kiddie Pool

410-1.jpg

Victorian Lounge

584-1-1-1.jpg

I took this picture because I wanted to show how pretty I thought the design of the ship was. I had heard Carnival ships could be a little over the top but I thought the liberty was bueatiful.

594-1.jpg

This is the top floor of the golden Olympian restaurant. The first floor is where they had YTD

Attached below is the Fun times for Day 7

Day 7.pdf

We decided to sleep in a bit on disembarkation day. Our luggage tags had us getting off around 8:20 while my bf’s family was supposed to get off at 9:30 so we decided we were going to get off with them. We layed around and made sure we hadn’t left anything behind before we headed up to breakfast around 8. The place was pretty empty. I went and get my last omelet and cin. Roll and we just sat around and waited. By 9 we were bored so we headed up to the lobby to see if we could get off a little earlier. There was very little wait and by the time we were getting up they were calling my bf’s families # anyway.

Us getting ready to get off the ship

616-1.jpg

So it was mostly uneventful getting our luggage. My bf and I found ours with no problem but the rest of his family mistakenly went to the wrong carousel so we were waiting…and waiting….and waiting for their luggage and it never came out. But luckily they saw it on the other carousel so we went got it, waiting on the line to go thru customs ( which went quick), and headed home.

Hope you enjoyed my review if you have any questions I will try to answer them.

Awesome review!! I don't know that I would have enough energy to do all the things you guys did on your cruise but it sure looks like you had fun! Sorry about missing GC - I actually really like Costa Maya. We usually hop in a cab and head the couple of miles down to Majuhaul. Beautiful beach, cheap massages and beer. :D

One question - the adults aft pool - are there lounge chairs on the level ABOVE that pool or is it just open deck space with no where to sit?

Awesome review!! I don't know that I would have enough energy to do all the things you guys did on your cruise but it sure looks like you had fun! Sorry about missing GC - I actually really like Costa Maya. We usually hop in a cab and head the couple of miles down to Majuhaul. Beautiful beach, cheap massages and beer. :D

One question - the adults aft pool - are there lounge chairs on the level ABOVE that pool or is it just open deck space with no where to sit?

I think if we knew we were going to Costa Maya and I was able to plan something ahead of time you would have might a slight difference but finding out the day before with no ability to do any research sort of left stuck either doing a ship excursion, staying on boar, ir just walkign around.

The few times we were up on the deck i didn't see any lounge chairs but usually when i was up there it was overcast ( or raining) so its possible they may put some out when it sunny.

Great review - we are leaving on the Liberty on Jan 8. You are a fun cute couple with lots of energy!! I am thinking about Harry's but DH thinks we should only eat in MDR cuz we already paid for it. However your photos and review definately have me tempted.

I felt the same way about Harrys, why would i pay for food when i already paid to eat in the MDR, but I am so glad I decided to do it because i would never be able to go out for a meal like that for 30 pp on land.

We do have alot of energy but I will admit I was exhausted when i got home. I am heading on a cruise with my mom in 1 1/2 weeks and thats goign to be more of relaxing cruise not running all over the ship and do everything cruise.

Very nice review.

We sailed last week to the E Caribbean and it seems like your weather was much better than ours.

Great cruise also.

Only thing we didnt like was the piano bar.

Rock group Blood Power was great and we really enjoyed comedy club.

One of the comedians has MS (might be MD) and it is great that he is so good at what he does in spite of his handicap.

We stayed in the DR all week for dinner and were very happy with the food. The social hostess Slovokia was just great helping my wife preorder special food as she has many food allergies.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for a wonderful review. Just found it today and was able to read it from beginning to end all in one go.:)

Since this was your first Carnival cruise, how did it compare to the other lines?

We have cruised on about 5 lines and have enjoyed them all. We were on the Carnival Liberty last year and loved it.

No Mary Lou was not one of the cruise staff when I was on board. Yeah quest was hysterical...we were expecting it to be the same as RCCL but there was a def. difference

I was on the Liberty this past January..Moll Lou was my favorite crew member, next to Butch. She is such a sweet person. Very fun and outgoing.

Great job, you have me thinking of Harry's also. But is not quiet correct to say you are paying $30 to eat at harry's vs a land base establishment, since you would not expect to eat FREE at a land based resturant, while u do not incure additional cost to eat in the MDR. So technically it is the value of a MDR meal plus $30.

Archived