12:25 Flight from FLL after debarking in Miami?

outdoorlady79

We will be debarking in Miami at 8am on a Sunday morning and utiliizing SAS to get back to FLL. Curious if a 12:25 flight is two early as it's the only non stop back to STL. I haven't booked yet just looking for some opinions. I'd much prefer the non-stop option at 12:25 over changing planes in Raleigh Durham to leave at 2:05 instead.

I'd look and see what other ships are disembarking in Ft. Lauderdale, if there are a lot, you might want to do the 1-stop flight.

On paper, you should be fine, but if there's a hassle, traffic, long lines, etc, you may be in a stressful situation.

Can you do a non-stop from MIA, American should have one.

Can you do a non-stop from MIA, American should have one.

There is an American non-stop from MIA at 3:10 $309 per person plus baggage fees.

Southwest's 12:25 non-stop is $265 and bags fly free.

I'm torn, I don't want to miss the flight that's for sure. DH hates flying so I was trying to stick to the non-stops if at all possible. Good thing he hasn't seen the price tag on this whole cruise so far, future cruises will probably be booked closer to sailing date since time will be more flexible but I only have this one week between classes that we could do it right now and I had to coordinate it with my anniversary date at work or burn the PTO and then not have it to cruise later in the year.

Seems like you should be ok and the traffic on a Sunday AM should be minimal... but there is always a risk if the ship disembarkation is depayed for any reason. But do as Bunny suggests and see what other ships are in Port Everglades that day.... FLL can be a madehouse and it can take several hours to get thru check-in and security.

Make sure you give yourself all the advantage you can by walking off with your own luggage and getting SAS as early as possible.

One thing to consider also is Southwest will not check you in earlier than 2 hours before flight time. Thus, if you book the later flight and get to the airport early, you have to sit and wait til 12:05 before you check in.

There is an American non-stop from MIA at 3:10 $309 per person plus baggage fees.

Southwest's 12:25 non-stop is $265 and bags fly free.

I'm torn, I don't want to miss the flight that's for sure. DH hates flying so I was trying to stick to the non-stops if at all possible. Good thing he hasn't seen the price tag on this whole cruise so far, future cruises will probably be booked closer to sailing date since time will be more flexible but I only have this one week between classes that we could do it right now and I had to coordinate it with my anniversary date at work or burn the PTO and then not have it to cruise later in the year.

I do prefer SW to AA, I'm VERY glad that SW bought AirTran, now we have them at Hartsfield! Yay!

Me, I'd roll the dice. I'd use SAS, and walk my bags off the ship. 12:30 isn't outrageously early. You might have a few stressful minutes, but I think you'll be fine at FLL. If there is any delay in getting off the ship, you can always call Southwest and let them know and work with them to have a back up plan.

You will be fine. Last August our cruise on Liberty arrived back in Miami on a Sunday and we flew home from FLL on Southwest. We didn't even hurry off the ship and we had lots of time to kill at the airport. Nothing worse than waiting around all day for a flight home. When my vacation is over I just want to go home. They seem to be kicking people off the ships earlier these days. Our cruise last month they were basically going around at 9am asking everyone to leave the ship. :) It is only a 30 minute ride from Miami to FLL.

You will be fine. Last August our cruise on Liberty arrived back in Miami on a Sunday and we flew home from FLL on Southwest. We didn't even hurry off the ship and we had lots of time to kill at the airport. Nothing worse than waiting around all day for a flight home. When my vacation is over I just want to go home. They seem to be kicking people off the ships earlier these days. Our cruise last month they were basically going around at 9am asking everyone to leave the ship. :) It is only a 30 minute ride from Miami to FLL.

Well..... what's worse is missing your flight due to hold-ups at customs.

Some weekends at FLL they process 40,00 pax, worse if it's a major weekend, like the boat show. Also, Check how many ships are in port that day.

Best case you'll make it, but if not you'll stress away a relaxing vacation.

Make sure you remind Steve at SAS you're on an early flight, sometimes hs's transporting people to hotels post-cruise from POM.

Al

After doing some number crunching I'm considering the option of just tacking on a post cruise hotel night in either MIA or FLL and taking the non-stop from FLL on Monday. Even with a hotel room it's probably about $100 cheaper and I think we should both be ok on PTO time at work.

After doing some number crunching I'm considering the option of just tacking on a post cruise hotel night in either MIA or FLL and taking the non-stop from FLL on Monday. Even with a hotel room it's probably about $100 cheaper and I think we should both be ok on PTO time at work.

That works too. If you're leaving out of FLL, then stay up there. Many hotels have free airport shuttles. Try for the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd. It's a 3 or 3.5 star hotel. Great location. No free shuttles, but it's more than worth it for the area.

That works too. If you're leaving out of FLL, then stay up there. Many hotels have free airport shuttles. Try for the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd. It's a 3 or 3.5 star hotel. Great location. No free shuttles, but it's more than worth it for the area.

We're sailing out of Miami but it would still be nice to stay near Port Everglades and watch the ships leave Sunday and as you said have free shuttle back to the airport Monday. I'm pretty sure I can have SAS take me from Port of Miami to an FLL hotel since I amd taking them from the Airport to a Miami hotel . My understanding and I wasn't told anythign differently when I asked for a qoute 2 weeks ago was that if you use their service to get out of Broward county (FLL) then they can pick you up and return you to Broward county but they can't pick you up outside of Broward county the first time.

Archived